Columbia vs France

Chtimi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the south carolina website...

"The crescent represents the silver emblem worn on the caps of South Carolina's First and Second Continental Regiments in the Revolutionary War."

More South Carolina facts here: http://www.state.sc.us/scdah/p_facts.htm

Thank you Matt

I didn't know for the state song. (How you feel the "thy" ? Excuse me... Thou feeleth ?:) )

I know for the SC flag, but that don't explain why there was a moon on the caps.

Honestly, your flag surprises me. It is clearly masonic. The free masonery is almost banal in your country - more secret in mine, and there are numerous lodges in South Carolina. The United States was thought as a masonic republic (avoiding the monarchy) and South Carolina was first to sign the Constitution. The soldiers of the Revolutionary War were really soldiers of freedom - in order to give a free country for free men.

South Carolina is also the US battlefield where contradictory forces confront one another, exactly like the antagonistic symbols moon/palmetto (the palmetto was added later...). But, combined, these symbols can be a promise of a great destiny (the blue suggests it).

Chtimi, I believe that explanation for the crescent moon is correct. I understand the Palmetto Tree is on the flag because of the Palmetto logs used in the building of Fort Moultrie during the Revolutionary War. The British cannonballs simply sank ino the soft Palmetto logs. That said, I think we have the most elegant of all state flags.

Chtimi, I believe that explanation for the crescent moon is correct. I understand the Palmetto Tree is on the flag because of the Palmetto logs used in the building of Fort Moultrie during the Revolutionary War. The British cannonballs simply sank ino the soft Palmetto logs. That said, I think we have the most elegant of all state flags.

Most definitely. Simple yet elegant.

The Crescent Moon along with Palmetto trees is still celebrated in SC as shown in this garden in Darlignton. This home was built in 1856. This photo was taken in early April which is why most of the growth is still not green. The grass in the yard is what we called "Charleston Grass" on the coast, which is a bermuda type grass. Unfortunately Darlington is just on the verge of the change in climate where this grass will turn brown in the winter. This is also about as far North as you will see Palmetto trees as well as we don't have them here in Charlotte.

112_1218.jpg

112_1222.jpg

Profound indeed.

But how are the crescent and palmetto antagonistic?

The crescent may indeed have some sort of masonic origin. I have honestly never thought about its origin other than on the soldier's hats.

hehe there are very old symbols. Less antagonistic if you consider that the moon is Osiris and the palmetto Isis : the moon and the sun. In the mythology Osiris was recut up by his brother Seth (the differents crescents moon) he represents the dead and the resurrection. Isis is the (eternal) life. Their son is Horus, the first pharaoh.

Archived