Your favorite TN buildings

memphian

Curious to know what TN buildings are your favorite and why. Try to choose only one (1) from any given city.

for me:

Nashville: L&C Tower, great clean design and stands the test of time very well.

Memphis: Clark Tower, strong vertical lines and blends 60's style with class. (would look good in most cities)

Chattanooga: Suntrust Bank , kinda quirky but has something interesting going on with its detailing.

Knoxville: not sure as of yet.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morgan Keegan, One Memphis Place, and Nashville City Center are my top 3

Although there are several buildings out on Poplar Ave near I-240 that would actually be my favorites, but they are smaller and less recognizable to outsiders. And I figure this question was referring to prominent high-rises since that is a common discussion on these forums. I personally prefer a good 6-12 story building as far as aesthetics go.

Morgan Keegan, One Memphis Place, and Nashville City Center are my top 3

Although there are several buildings out on Poplar Ave near I-240 that would actually be my favorites, but they are smaller and less recognizable to outsiders. And I figure this question was referring to prominent high-rises since that is a common discussion on these forums. I personally prefer a good 6-12 story building as far as aesthetics go.

The Crescent Center is my favorite East Memphis building. I like how its a semi-circle instead of the basic box shape. Any idea how tall it is? The East Memphis Hilton is nice too though.

Memphis -

Sterick Building (how I wish it weren't vacant)

Exchange Building

Memphis International Airport - the "martini glasses"

Clark Tower at night

Anything at Rhodes College

Nashville -

The Parthenon

The former Third National Financial Center (now Fifth Third Bank, I think?)

L&C Tower

Union Station

Memphis -

Sterick Building (how I wish it weren't vacant)

Exchange Building

Memphis International Airport - the "martini glasses"

Clark Tower at night

Anything at Rhodes College

Nashville -

The Parthenon

The former Third National Financial Center (now Fifth Third Bank, I think?)

L&C Tower

Union Station

SORRY...I should have read the original post... just ONE per city...

Memphis - Sterick Building

Nashville - Financial Center (looked it up - I guess Suntrust is the tenant)

Knoxville - Neyland Stadium

Chattanooga - Solomon Federal Building

What building are you talking about? Do you mean the one on Poplar (it now has the Independent Bank logo on top), or the one in Cordova? I believe both hold Union Planters (Regions) administrative offices.

I think he means their final headquarters location, on Poplar, the one with the columns out front. Is it near Laurelwood/Briarcrest? By my recollection it's somewhere around there, west of International Place.

I don't think he means the highrise by Clark Tower. But maybe he does . . . Although, that location never, to my knowledge, served as hq.

One of my favorites is the Parthenon. The main reason is that I am a big fan of Greek architecture. It is also a favorite of many of the visitors I bring into Nashville. It is hard to pick an overall favorite though.

The Parthenon is also one of my favorites. Other favorites of mine include:

Memphis - Lincoln American Tower

Nashville - Bell South Tower (that will change quickly to the Signature Tower, if built)

Knoxville - Riverview Tower

Chattanooga - The Dome Building (It's not that tall but I love the architecture)

Picture of the Dome Building

I think he means their final headquarters location, on Poplar, the one with the columns out front. Is it near Laurelwood/Briarcrest? By my recollection it's somewhere around there, west of International Place.

I don't think he means the highrise by Clark Tower. But maybe he does . . . Although, that location never, to my knowledge, served as hq.

youre correct its the one with columns. its not a high rise

youre correct its the one with columns. its not a high rise

Cool building! What about the campus full of glass buildings in Cordova on Charles Bryan Road? Is that just a check processing center or what? You can see one of the buildings from I-40. Its a very big campus though. Its across the street from a gorgeous building that was built for a company that merged with another company and now the building is empty. Last I heard, Wright Medical was going to occupy that building. It is one of the prettiest buildings in the city, but I digress.

The one on Goodlett Farms was the UP corporate headquarters. And I think operations (through Regions) are still going on there. Wright Medical was going to occupy the Concord EFS building that Concord EFS built but never got to occupy because they were bought out before moving in. But that deal with Wright has dropped for now, I believe, and they are looking for a different site. But since I work in Arlington (where Wright is HQ'd), I hope they stay.

Union Planters HQ mentioned near the end of article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories...17/daily27.html

Cool building! What about the campus full of glass buildings in Cordova on Charles Bryan Road? Is that just a check processing center or what? You can see one of the buildings from I-40. Its a very big campus though. Its across the street from a gorgeous building that was built for a company that merged with another company and now the building is empty. Last I heard, Wright Medical was going to occupy that building. It is one of the prettiest buildings in the city, but I digress.

That's the former hq of Concord EFS (First Data can rot in he!!). I don't think Wright consummated the deal on the building. I forgot what the obstacle was, but the deal fell through, and the regional chamber is helping Wright look for other locations...

I am always amazed by how many people like the L&C Building. I have always disliked it. That is why the world is round.

Chattanooga:

tall building Jaycee Tower

historic building Dome Building

interesting architecture Tennessee Aquarium

Knoxville:

tall building Plaza Tower

historic building Ayers Hall

interesting architecture John C Hodges Library

Nashville:

tall building Nashville City Center

historic building Hermitage Hotel

interesting architecture BellSouth Building