The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan for the movie theater sounds great. It reminds me of an upscale theater in NW DC that opened several years ago. Movie tickets were in the $12 range, but that bought you a plush reclining seat, at-seat wait service and greatly reduced the number of swarming teenagers.

I'm glad to see the focus for this project is staying on retail and entertainment rather than toying with yet another condo project. It will be great to have that up and running in just over a year's time.

The plan for the movie theater sounds great. It reminds me of an upscale theater in NW DC that opened several years ago. Movie tickets were in the $12 range, but that bought you a plush reclining seat, at-seat wait service and greatly reduced the number of swarming teenagers.

I'm glad to see the focus for this project is staying on retail and entertainment rather than toying with yet another condo project. It will be great to have that up and running in just over a year's time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, of course, that Uptown needs more retail, but it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of entertainment (i.e. bars, restaurants) there. Non-entertainment retail seems to actually be what is lacking. While my opinion is not necessarily expert, I am a senior at UNCC and I have been working part time as a valet on average 5 nights a week for the last 3 years. When working uptown (most of the time), on average about 8-10 people a night ask me for advice for places to go, or things to do. It is extremely rare for someone to complain about not having anywhere to hang out or eat uptown, they complain about not having anywhere to shop, and occasionally about the lack of a movie theatre. The other developer had plans for substantial retail there as well, just not with an entertainment focus. I am not sure, but I think they were goign to keep the theatre, which will be a great thing.

In addition to the entertainment/non-entertainment issue, there are two main reasons why I was hoping strongly that the other developer would have gotten the deal on the project. First of all.... uneccessary public assistance. Why give a developer $9,000,000 when another plans on doing much more for free. Secondly, in reference to Doug Smith's article, I definitely agree that from the getgo it seemed like gross underdevelopment of a site only ONE block from the square. No wonder Spectrum needed public assistance, I'm sure the land cost a fortune.

I agree, of course, that Uptown needs more retail, but it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of entertainment (i.e. bars, restaurants) there.  Non-entertainment retail seems to actually be what is lacking.  While my opinion is not necessarily expert, I am a senior at UNCC and I have been working part time as a valet on average 5 nights a week for the last 3 years.  When working uptown (most of the time), on average about 8-10 people a night ask me for advice for places to go, or things to do.  It is extremely rare for someone to complain about not having anywhere to hang out or eat uptown, they complain about not having anywhere to shop, and occasionally about the lack of a movie theatre.  The other developer had plans for substantial retail there as well, just not with an entertainment focus.  I am not sure, but I think they were goign to keep the theatre, which will be a great thing. 

In addition to the entertainment/non-entertainment issue, there are two main reasons why I was hoping strongly that the other developer would have gotten the deal on the project.  First of all.... uneccessary public assistance.  Why give a developer $9,000,000 when another plans on doing much more for free.  Secondly, in reference to Doug Smith's article, I definitely agree that from the getgo it seemed like gross underdevelopment of a site only ONE block from the square.  No wonder Spectrum needed public assistance, I'm sure the land cost a fortune.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure if the other developer got serious enough, the city would sell them the land with no assistance. There was so much mystery surrounding the other proposal that my guess is that it was in the earlier, speculative stage.

Further, as far as retail goes, I'm sure the entire complex is not going to be entertainment retail. The place is two levels and an entire city block. That movie theatre would only take up a fraction. I would envision it being like Station Square in Pittsburgh where they successfully converted a similarly sized building into some resturaunts and some shopping back when the South Side was pretty much a run down eyesore. It helped spur an excellent response with an entertainment district running all along Carson street on which Station Square sits.

http://www.stationsquare.com/main.htm

I'm sure if the other developer got serious enough, the city would sell them the land with no assistance.  There was so much mystery surrounding the other proposal that my guess is that it was in the earlier, speculative stage.

Further, as far as retail goes, I'm sure the entire complex is not going to be entertainment retail.  The place is two levels and an entire city block.  That movie theatre would only take up a fraction.  I would envision it being like Station Square in Pittsburgh where they successfully converted a similarly sized building into some resturaunts and some shopping back when the South Side was pretty much a run down eyesore.  It helped spur an excellent response with an entertainment district running all along Carson street on which Station Square sits.

http://www.stationsquare.com/main.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm starting to be converted. When I read that 150,000 square feet have already been committed to and they are still turning the project over to Ghazi to secure more tenants, it gave me more appreciation for the scope of the project. You're right about the mystery, I figured the competitors were still very early in the planning process. I guess it was mainly the "international flair" comment that got me drooling over whatever they were planning to do. It also seems quite odd to state that they are "waiting in the wings to see what happens".... they don't sound too excited about whatever they want to do. Either way, I'm sure whichever is put there will be good for Charlotte. :thumbsup:

As a resident of downtown I am very much looking forward to having a movie theatre within walking distance. I am also VERY glad to hear that it will be a Consolidated Theatre...they have some of the best theatres in the country...much much much better than Eastern Federals theatres.

I also agree we need more non-entertainment retail...but that will not appear till after we surpass the 12,000 population mark for downtown.

• 1 month later...

this building is important for uptown - increased retail and nightlife are both necessary.

I was recently in Denver and they have a 16th street outdoor "mall" in downtown that has banana and other clothing retailers, borders, espn zone, a movie theater etc. it was an impressive downtown compared to charlotte just because of this....

If i could choose any retail store for uptown to kick things off it would be a large bookstore like Borders. people can always browse in a bookstore and pedestrian traffic would be drawn to it 7 days a week.... before and after work/dinners/games/shows etc. this retail could survive on its own - but i think other stores would sign up shortly. i wanted to email Ghazi Co with the suggestion as it couldn't hurt. i couldn't find their website yet.

I know that Denver has some cool places. On a closer note, one only has to visit King Street in downtown Charleston to be inspired. What a great place it has become with top quality stores (Saks 5th Ave. and numerous others). The restaurants and bistros are also terrific. If downtown Charlotte could develope a street like King Street, we would be a model city.

Moria Quinn told me tonight that they are going to completely tear down the old convention center and build a whole new buidling....well actually 4 buildings she explained. They are going to split the property into 4 different buildings connected by sidewalks and passageways. It will still be a mix of residential, retail, and office.

Archived