The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

I think the "second tallest" title seemed to through people into a loop. I don't really think this project is as ambitious as people are making it out to be. All 48 floors won't be residential. As I understand it the bottom ten floors will be for parking. That leaves 38 floors. At least one floor will probably be used for amenities. Another two or three floors could be office. So we may only see 34 floors of actual condos. Furman has practically filled 41 or so floors of residential recently in courtside and trademark without a blink. Also, the location of this site will have tremendous drawing power on its own

- A Trade Street address

- Directly on the light rail line with a station at the building's base

- Tons of retail and entertainment options both in the complex and across the street

- One block off of the square

- Directly in front of the proposed trade street streetcar which will provide carless access to Elizabeth and Plaza-Midwood.

If this were one of my options versus what's currently uptown I would buy there.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did think of another pro. Having ten floors of parking and possibly office space or an amenities level between the residences and the ground will provide what will probably be some extremely quite units by Uptown standards. Also, if you look at the proposed layout of this tower and think of the way it is situated Uptown this new tower is poised to take advantage of probably the best view in town. If you were to stand on a balcony on the western side of this building you will be able to see the whole skyline and be close enough to feel right up in it at the same time. Lastly, I see this complex offering a feel no other high-rise in Charlotte has offered so far. Part of the sale of Uptown dwellings focuses on convenience. People like being only a few blocks from everything they need. But living in this building will be different because so much will be on your block. Not just a short walk but literally an elevator ride away. Need a haircut or a spa treatment? Massage? Want to catch a new movie at the theatre? Want to go bowling? Go out to eat? Go shopping? It will all be an elevator ride away. This complex will raise the bar on convenience.

So do you really think it will be hard to sell out 34 floors of condos here?

The word will be out this Friday in the Charlotte Business Journal.....the plan is definetly for 48 floors, though I'm not sure if that includes parking or not.....I understand the site plan is being reworked slightly for better ingress/egress of vehicles. There will likely be no office in the building, but plenty of retail/entertainment. So far there is no official rendering and it may be another month or two before that is released. The county council approved giving the developer a grant of $3.2 million tonight (the authorized the contract so it's a done deal) and it is contingent upon building at least the retail portions, so the sooner they build, the sooner they recoup the capital expenses of the project.

Like I have said before....the developer has already spent the $14.5 million on the site. This differs from all previous proposals that simply had an option on the site while they studies it. This site will require a conditional use rezoning, but assuming they can accomplish that before summer and are able to break ground before fall, I think they will be able to capture the demand that is still here and I believe they can successfully sell this project. Always the optimist.

I think the "second tallest" title seemed to through people into a loop.  I don't really think this project is as ambitious as people are making it out to be.  All 48 floors won't be residential.  As I understand it the bottom ten floors will be for parking.  That leaves 38 floors.  At least one floor will probably be used for amenities.  Another two or three floors could be office.  So we may only see 34 floors of actual condos.  Furman has practically filled 41 or so floors of residential recently in courtside and trademark without a blink.  Also, the location of this site will have tremendous drawing power on its own

- A Trade Street address

- Directly on the light rail line with a station at the building's base 

- Tons of retail and entertainment options both in the complex and across the street

- One block off of the square

- Directly in front of the proposed trade street streetcar which will provide carless access to Elizabeth and Plaza-Midwood. 

If this were one of my options versus what's currently uptown I would buy there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot:

- a great view of the bus station

• 4 weeks later...

update on the epicenter. the ghazi company website has a marketing pdf file that explains more in depth the project. here's the urlEpicenter . i read like on the eighth page that it is supposed to be completed in late fall 2005. i wonder if that's retail, residential, or both components? plus there's new renderings. this project is going to be awesome. check out the website!

BryanH.....yeah, I posted this under Observation Tower though this certianly does seem the more appropriate thread. It looks like there may be an observation platform on top....kinda like a light house. I really like the way it looks because it's so different than anything else here.

Just read through their .pdf and wow... its going to be nice... Almost with a Times Square feel with all the lights and stores. I saw they wanted a running stream through the place as well as bowling, movies, plenty of new food and bar places... I wonder what kind of places we'll be able to shop at.

I do have to say though that the fall of 2005 completion date looks more like a typo than an actualy statement. I have a hard time beliving that considering the old building is still there (atleast the last time I checked) But more power to Gazi if he can pull it off.

This project is deff. going to be a nice addition to uptown... I hope it sparks more growth

I just wanted to say this sounds like a very good idea for Charlotte and the best part about this is that it's not the normal thing that alot of cities have in their downtown and i'm glad to be a part of this city. I don't doubt anything that they are planning to do in this city.......I'm sure most of the proposals will be built or established and the ones that don't, probaly won't be a good addition to the city anyway.

im at a lose for words. i wonder where ghazi will get the financing for this project. This has to be a 150 million dollar project at least.

the best thing is that the site will be developed to its full potential, rather than the recladding of the current building. still, i will believe it when i see it. this could be one of those highrises that comes out of nowhere and actually happens.

im at a lose for words. i wonder where ghazi will get the financing for this project. This has to be a 150 million dollar project at least.

the best thing is that the site will be developed to its full potential, rather than the recladding of the current building. still, i will believe it when i see it. this could be one of those highrises that comes out of nowhere and actually happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I can say is wow. That would completely change the Uptown experience. No more bored conventioneers with nothing to do. People would come from everywhere to see that place. I'm sure non-entertainment retail would follow.

Very interesting renderings.....Ijsut hope they give it more of a Tinmes Square feel rather than a carnival feel that some of those renderings used.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. I think this Times Square theme is something the city is looking for in this "entertainment" district. Aren't they going to put all sorts of lights and bright signage on the arena?

also, it says it's only going to be about 44 stories tall. so does that mean it's only going to be now like the third or fourth tallest, after bofa headquarters, hears tower, and one wachovia? or does that not include the parking deck?

Yeah there is no way that project would be completed by the fall. It will take them that long just to get the proper permitting, drawings, construction firms lined up, etc. If they are lucky they might make it by fall 2006.

The rendering, unless I am missing something, shows only 23-24 stories at best. Much less than the 44 stories claimed and it certainly isn't the second tallest in town. Discrepancies such as this are a worrisome sign.

They are doing marketing. When marketing gets involved, you get the rosiest picture, with superlatives and parsed meanings and all.

I'm sure they have some way to back into what they mean by second [whatever]est, and Fall 2005, etc.

Taking all that with a grain of salt, i think this would be an awesome project for downtown charlotte. Even after all the financing and leasing and all that, if it turns out to be 11 stories, i'd also be excited about it.

I agree with you, though, that if they are treading close to the line and are NEEDING to exaggerate the project to get funded and fully-leased, that definitely requires us to be more skeptical that dirt will turn on this project.

Well.....interestingly, on their website...it now says 2nd tallest instead of 2nd largest....i agree though, I counted only 35 floors being very generous and the spire certainly isn't that significant.

I believe this will eventually get done, even if the tower is a later phase. Remember, they already have bought the land so as of now they are out over $14M. I know they are talking to local banks in terms of financing and it looks like they will go apartments over the concern by the banks that the condo market is so ramped up.

lol.....well, this is odd.....the last image we saw looks like the tower matched the site plan but the two smaller buildings didn't......in this rendering the smaller buildings match the floor plan but the tower doesn't......this certainly appears to be 44 stories though.....i'm not sure how crazy I am about the design.....color would be nice, because right now it looks like a 1960's apartment building......maybe it'll be really glassy and multi-colored......my dream is to have something similar to the Times Square Westin.......

I blew up the image and it looks like there is no stream or cobblestone streets in this. The plaza area looks interesting and the whole project is certainly pedestrian friendly and inviting. The rail station is accessible to the plaza though an open air atrium. I'm having trouble determining the traffic ingress egress, possibly it's underneathing the rail platform from both Trade and 4th......

This is a pretty detailed sketch, and Risden McElroy (who did this rendering) isn't cheap so I would guess this to be closer to a final version, but that's just a guess........get some wild multi-colored glass on this and build that sucker.

Archived