Aiken

socaguy

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few updates on some infill in Aiken.

These are some newly completed townhouses in DT Aiken, on the site of a former gas station. Unfortunately this massive structure only houses 3 huge mctownhomes, but its still an improvement to the corner.

mctownhouse.jpg

Some progress on the mixed-use project on the site of the former dt cinema.

theatreblock.jpg

This one is one that I hadn't heard of. A suburban style townhouse project is going up on Morgan St, next to a new 5-story apartment building. This is significant because Morgan St, as of about 2 years ago consisted of nothing but rotten shotgun houses and trash (no people whatsoever)... Aiken's Neighborhood improvement project has swept in and built a lot of cute starter homes in this neighborhood (Toole Hill) as well as others on the northside, and its awesome to see some new spinoff development occurring because of the city's investment! The plans are well underway for the city to build more than 300 new homes on the northside at no profit, so I can't wait to see how much more they can transform the neighborhood...

This development is suburban in nature, but it looks like it will be decently dense when developed. There's a lot more UC to the left of the photo, but I wanted to get the sign in the shot (200K+ in a recently ravaged neighborhood is pretty impressive to me)...

Ashley.jpg

• 9 months later...

I know residents are almost ready to move in to the 3 story condo/retail on the north end of Lauren's St. As an aside, the 12 condos in that building are going from $750,000 - $850,000 range. They are enormous (like 3200 sf), but that's still a hefty price tag for Aiken...

Hammond's Ferry in N. Augusta was looking awesome last time I was home in December... The skeletons of a few mixed-use/corner store type structures were going up among the single-family homes and townhomes and they looked massive(4-5 floors), but actually scaled well with the density of the development...

Also, a new urban retail strip along Georgia Ave and a side street were coming along well (I'd never even heard of this project). An small urban townhome project called Hampton Park is supposed to start soon somewhere to the left of Georgia Ave too...

N. Augusta has picked a contractor for its new city hall downtown and expect to start construction in the next month or so... I'd say of the whole metro, N. Augusta is really leading the way in urban development...

I was over in N. Augusta today and went through Hammonds Ferry and all I can say is that is going to be one top-notch development. I was really impressed with those 4 story corner store structures. Too bad my battery on my camera died before I could take many pics.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes if not moreso. Both North Augusta and Aiken have decent sized areas of older homes/bunglaws on small lots and lots of apartments. Columbia County is mainly McMansions on half acre or more lots. Aiken county is larger in size but most of the population (about 70,000 people more than Columbia county) live in or between the 2 main cities.

Archived