Aiken

socaguy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random update from the Chronicle a few days ago...

The annexation of most of the Gem Lakes subdivision went through. A few houses chose not to be annexed, so oddly enough, there will be several new donut holes in the annexation. The subdivision had been having problems with it's sewer system, so the city sort of strong-armed them into annexation.

This isn't new development, but it is several hundred homes that are now in city limits, which will be a nice boost to the population (600-700 people), and should put us very close to, if not over 30,000 people.

The current county offices (main building) are shown here (other nearby sites are also being rented). The picture shows 4 floors, but its on a large hill, so it's 6 (I think) in the back. This is the main site they're considering for the new county offices.

cx5x2.jpg

This is actually one of my favorite structures in town, so I really hope they intend to add-on/renovate rather than replace this building.

So are they planning to upgrade the existing facilities or build new ones on site?

So are they planning to upgrade the existing facilities or build new ones on site?

No new news on this, but the original article said that while this is the primary site chosen for the preliminary study, that other sites are still being considered... The article specifically uses the words "replace the two building complex," at a cost of $22 million, but like I said, it's just a preliminary cost study at this point, so I won't panic yet...

I saw something on the internet ...can't remember where.... the other day that said Pacific Sunwear and Kirklands are now open at Aiken Mall. Is this true?

Sorry to keep harping on the mall and asking questions, but I grew up going there in the early/mid 1990s, and have very fond memories.

Is there ANY list ANYWHERE of the current tenants? I'm dying to know :yahoo: , because when I moved away there were about 10-15 vacant spaces, that was in early 2001.

• 1 month later...

Affluent area in Aiken to expand

Baby boomers expected to flock to Cedar Creek

Report in the Augusta Chronicle highlights the increasing population of residents 65 and over and the expansion of the Ceder Creek affulent retirement community. Aiken County as well as Columbia County, GA as a whole have significant increases in retirees residents and expected to continue on this trend during the next few decades as the Baby boomers age.

• 1 month later...

I apologize about the previous post. I am interested in the nuts and bolts of Aiken and would like to have some insights about it's future development, economics, etc.

Specifically, is there anyone who is familiar with the idea of equestrian subdivisions? We do not have them here in New England and there are 15 in the works for Aiken.

Also any thoughts about the population shift to the southside and where it may spread in the next 20 years?

My research has included aiken.net, 2000 consensus, etc.

Thank you and I hope this is more appropriate to post.

AMM

Basicly you just have to remember that we cannot be a real estate guide. Don't ask for info on a certain subdivision. Equestrian subdivision in general are ok though. This is actually the first time I've heard of them, so I am interested in learning more about them (though it seems pretty self explanatory)

I wish I could help, but I really don't have any info on a formal "subdivision" for equestrian uses... Foxchase in Aiken is the only one that comes to mind, but it's older, and generally the homes with enough land for horse uses run from 1-5 million dollars. This is the area where Strom Thurmond's Aiken home was (where his family lived as well)...

Out in the distant northside, where my parents live, it's extremely common for landowners to subdivide their property into ~5 acre lots with the intention of selling to horseowners, but this in no way is a regular "subdivision" in which city services are provided...

I'd definately move on it soon if you're interested, because rural land prices in the Aiken vicinity are definately skyrocketing with all of the new equestrian activity... My parent's property more than doubled in value in the last year, and they're 10 miles away from town on the "cheap" northside. It's still cheap in comparison to city property, but getting pricey, especially for what amounts to rural farmland...

As far as the population shift, the southside is still king. There are a few new decent sized subdivisions on the northside (which is a big deal after years of no growth), but the southside still is blowing it away. The next big area will probably be north and west of USCA towards Graniteville, because a 5,000 home subdivision is planned for the area. If that gets built, that'll spawn a lot of other growth in the area as well...

Aiken is by far my favorite small city in the state--it is just so livable, and has its act together. Of course, Beaufort is a gem, and Georgetown as well. However, Beaufort is remote (which can be a good thing as well), and Georgetown a bit down and out.

Aiken is really poised for success--just hope that rural Aiken County can go upmarket with it.

Here's an interesting bit of info... Recently, on the news, the county is considering abolishing the property taxes in Aiken and adding a 2% sales tax instead, don't know if this includes other counties as well. Seems a bit odd, since Aiken draws 30% of it's revenues from property tax, especially with increased home values predicted for the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown Aiken is getting a new small mixed use structure. Four 3,000 square foot retail spaces beneath 8 3/3 upscale condo units. This is going in at one of the only vacant spots downtown, the site formerly occupied by one of Aiken's former downtown movie theatres. Nothing huge, but consistent to the scale and look of downtown. This looks to be a very nice project, unlike some of the more recent "Mctownhouse" projects that have happened downtown...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/03120...k_6728219.shtml

802296vv.jpg

This announcement is definately a bit of a surprise.... Wal-Mart is planning on building its 2nd Supercenter in Aiken in a 248,000 sf shopping center.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/03220...s_6848894.shtml

While I despise Wal-Mart, I have mixed feelings about this.

The location: On US-1 at the intersection with University Parkway. This is adjacent to USC-Aiken, University Hospital, Hitchcock Woods, and the Kalmia Hills/Highland Park neighborhood.

The good: This shopping center is NOT located on Whiskey or Pine Log Rds... It's located on the NW side of town, which has not seen significant commercial investment in decades. It's also replacing an eyesore (K-Mart that closed like 15-20 years ago, and was replaced by an antique mall that's also closed now). A shopping center of this magnitude will be a huge catalyst for this side of town, and will also be helpful in finally drawing residential developers away from the congested southside.

More good: This also bodes well for the 5,000 home subdivision that is planned in this area. I really questioned how these people are going to add to the congestion to get to the southside to shop. I think I'm willing to accept a Wal-Mart if it signifies progress on my poor, neglected northside of town...

The bad: I question whether Aiken really NEEDS a new Wal-Mart... Target is like 4-5 years old now, and still only gets modest business. Plus, this site is less than a mile from our existing Roses Dept store. I really like that store, and its one of very few in the world still operating, but a new Wal-Mart will put the final nail in that shopping center's coffin...

Wow, I didn't know that any Rose's stores still existed!

There's still a Roses in Orangeburg that's hanging on (I attached a not-so-good pic of it), as well as one in South Hill, Virginia.

I understand your conflict. Thats a tough call since the area needs a good economic pick up- and you know that everything gravitates to walkmart.

Yeah, seems like Columbia is facing the same situation with the Wal-Mart slated to go up on Bush River Road--an area that's in DIRE need of some TLC.

post-1529-1143198499_thumb.jpg

post-1529-1143198499_thumb.jpg

I know I've probably asked this a hundred times, but has anything started in the old Kmart/Kroger shopping center (Hitchcock Plaza, have no clue what they call it now)? I remember reading about someone revamping it and putting a Bed, Bath, and Beyond/Old Navy/Steinmart/Ross/TJ Maxx and some other stuff. Anything going on there?

• 1 month later...

Avondale Mills closings from Alabama to South Carolina is set to put 4,000 people out of work, with almost half of that number in Graniteville, the site of a deadly train wreck and subsequent chlorine spill last year, which is a major factor in the mills being shut down. Combine that with the dying textile industry in SC, and this was inevitable. Read more here.

• 4 weeks later...

Not only is Aiken getting a second Walmart, (as Topher mentioned), and a Sams Club, the areas first Walmart neighborhood market will be opening up near Interstate 20 and Hwy 25, in Belvedere (Aiken county), from what Ive read on the Augusta threads.

Archived