Signature Tower

cheeriokid61

What do you think?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hmmm...

Well, now that you've seen the design for a couple of weeks, and have had time to discuss it, do you like the design or not? Andwhy?

My opinion: Yes, I love it. Yeah, it's a little boxy, but that can be fixed up in later, more detailed renderings. IMO, the street level retail should really help boost activity on the sidewalks, too.

By the way, I'm still getting used to the new poll format, so if it turns out weird, sorry.

Dangit, I spelled Signature wrong...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I like it. It represents a new direction with architecture in Nashville. A chance to shake things up a bit and build on some already wonderful towers downtown. I am more interested on the DETAIL of the design. Not so much the overall design, but the little things about it. Ironically, the same type of detail that went into the Chrysler building.

To me the new design for the Signature Tower is truly a signature design. It's simple, yet modern. The spire is bold and makes a statement to me. The sheer height of this tower is striking. If this tower is built, I believe that the Signature Tower will become a symbol for the city of Nashville like the Eiffel Tower is a symbol for Paris.

I love it. I agree with Hankster its simple, yet modern. I believe it will make a statement nationally that we (Nashvillians) are taking the next step. So many things are happening right now that no one outside our city will ever notice by looking at a website or a postcard, but this beautiful building will be recognized nationally by everyone. Signature tower will set the bar for future downtown developments. I believe it will take us over the hump.

The new design is so much better. The old design may have been a signature tower for another city, but it wouldn't have the impact of the new design in Nashville's varied skyline. To me, this is the only option for this site. Those of you who have followed the city's quest for land to expand the convention center may remember in the study released not long ago that the Signature Tower lot is actually the site most preferred for a convention center expansion and relocation of McKendree's fitness/life center. Now that Signature is on the city's collective mind, I believe the thought of expanding the convention center into that area is almost non-existent. I've heard the city and CVB now prefer using the large parking lot behind GEC for a new convention center, which will cost more but makes sense logistically.

This one doesn't have to grow on me. Let's build this beauty.

I still think there's quite a bit of chatter going on re: convention center, but in a tax increase year (with schools and the elderly being cards played), it probably isn't a good idea for Metro to speak too loudly about this at this time. But, I can assure you, the collective minds are looking at this very strongly. The site behind the GEC would be good as there's plenty of room for a bookend hotel to the Renaissance. Mr. "Peabody" .... are you listening? I bet you are.

I love it! I don't think the renderings even do this building justice. The fact that there is not one right angle on the whole tower is unique. I agree that this design will be a wonderful and striking symbol for our city. I never thought I would consider living in a highrise but if this is built, I just might. All of the new developments are exciting and needed in Nashville, but out of them all it is ST that is a must build IMO. To me, as a skyscraper geek, thirty floors and shorter is getting old. Do I get juiced up for the new SunTrust "tower"? Uh, no. Nice filler, as long as it does ruin the view of the Bell South tower driving down west end. Not only is there a demand in the market for ST, visually speaking, Nashville needs this building! So go Tony! My post hole digger is ready! Who's with me? :blink:

The best thing about the redesign--I was previously just excited about the proposed height of Signature, but the design was just sort of bla. after the redesign I am elated with excitement for the architecture--for the actual building. I agree it now looks like a true 'Signature Tower.'

The original design was ok and it was certainly tall, but it didn't make me go "wow!".. the new design, now, well, now I've been wowed. We're even toying with selling our place and giving up the downtown view to move there. Can't wait to see more details on the lofts and condos..

Oh - and as for the street level retail, I've read some complaints about it, but to me, it looks pretty darned good from the illustrations - I'd be happy to walk that sidewalk! And besides,that's all bound to evolve as the process moves along, isn't it?

David

It's a very bold and striking building and should be built. I grew up in TN and Nashville was always behind other comparable cities in regard to progress and a real skyline. For every additional boring 20-30 story Nashville builds, cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, and now even Mobile reach for the skies. Charlotte succeeds where Nashville hasn't because those in power are not afraid of change and actually embrace it. I see Nashville finally coming around but if they shoot this project in the foot, then they are no better than they were twenty or even thirty years ago. And no business is going to relocate in an area that won't progress and plan for the future.

I believe it will get built and if I were TG, I would bump the height a bit to at least claim the #2 spot in the Southeast. (until Atlanta, Miami, or Charlotte go even higher :thumbsup: )

I think this will put us in the running with Charlotte again. It has to be built. It's the culmination of all this downtown commotion.

In the running for a better skyline? If thats the case Nashville would need a few more 40-50 story highrises. The only building, other than the Signature tower, which isnt 100%, that sticks out is Batman. Really I think Nashville is falling farther behind Charlotte, not taking anything away from Nashville though. Charlotte has towers approved of 58 stories, 53 stories, 36 stories, Wachovias Office tower. You should check out Charlottes project rundown forum.

Please! Let's not allow this forum to devolve into a Nashville vs. Charlotte argument. Thank God, that both cities are nothing alike. That's the reason, I boycott those silly-ass polls.

As far as skyline size, Charlotte has always had a bigger skyline for as long as I remember. I live in the city with the biggest, most impressive skyline in the south, but I'm little impressed by a city's skyline. I'm jazzed by what happens at street level.

As for the two, CLT/NASH... they've both come into their own in the last 10-15. As such, I've always thought that Nashville was about 5-7 years behind in downtown development. Certainly, I don't think the same way about the other things that make a city vibrant.

CLT does better than NSH in certain areas, while NSH does better in other areas. From my perspective (and I've spent a lot of time in both cities), they are very comparable cities in development. CLT has been committed to a strong downtown for at least the last 10 years and is doing quite well. NSH has just awakened to the real possibilities of its downtown (if it discovers the river, then there won't be anything in ATL or CLT to compare). Actually, I think NSH has shot itself in the foot many times in the past and allowed so much to go to Franklin, and now Murfreesboro.

One big distinction between CLT and NSH is that CLT has long been the commercial center of its region. NSH has long been the largest city of a cluster of large towns/cities. Hence, it has more of a sprawling effect. That being said, IMHO I've always thought that NSH feels like Austin while CLT feels like a little ATL. Both great towns, just in different ways.

In the running for a better skyline? If thats the case Nashville would need a few more 40-50 story highrises. The only building, other than the Signature tower, which isnt 100%, that sticks out is Batman. Really I think Nashville is falling farther behind Charlotte, not taking anything away from Nashville though. Charlotte has towers approved of 58 stories, 53 stories, 36 stories, Wachovias Office tower. You should check out Charlottes project rundown forum.

Well, I didn't mean we'd be equal to Charlotte or anything. I just meant we wouldn't be so far behind. If Signature gets built, other cities (like Charlotte) might start looking at us as a contender. It could possibly open up the way for other similar high-rises. But I was in no way implying that we are better or even on par with Charlotte concerning the skyline.

Well, I didn't mean we'd be equal to Charlotte or anything. I just meant we wouldn't be so far behind. If Signature gets built, other cities (like Charlotte) might start looking at us as a contender. It could possibly open up the way for other similar high-rises. But I was in no way implying that we are better or even on par with Charlotte concerning the skyline.

Don't worry Claws. I think all but one knew what you meant. I agree we have some catching up to do and ST would definitely be a step in that direction. I see ST having the same "kick start" effect, to the next level of developement, that the Bell South did for 2nd Ave and Broadway. You could certainly credit Tony with getting the ball rolling on all the new residential space downtown. As much as I "do not love" the architecture of the Cumberland, it was an incredibly important building. If not for success of that "stucco box", there would be no Viridian and with no Viridian we wouldn't even be talking about ST. Isn't it great that there is someone in Nashville who thinks we can and should compete with the Atlantas and Charlottes for development and actually do something about it? I love Nashville's character and wouldn't want to see it become just another big downtown. I do, however, want to see a lot more growth, especially in the vertical direction. :blink:

Archived