161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hmmm...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the Channel 2 story about Signature Tower and wow was it ugly! The details in their coverage were way off the mark. While the publicity is great for Tony, the reporting was embarrassing to say the least. They stated that ST would be 636ft tall, two stories higher than Bell South. Huh????? This number obviously comes from the 55 stories not including the crown and spire. (635ft) They showed a diagram with the two buildings being virtually the same height, spires included. :blink: All things being equal, that would make each floor of ST roughly 8 to 8.5 feet tall. And this after showing the Ponder piece and the renderings from Tony's site which show ST much taller. I realize I'm being picky here but if their reporting is this sloppy how off are they on everything else?...and yes I need a life.

Wonder where the office will be??

Just watched the Channel 2 story about Signature Tower and wow was it ugly! The details in their coverage were way off the mark. While the publicity is great for Tony, the reporting was embarrassing to say the least. They stated that ST would be 636ft tall, two stories higher than Bell South. Huh????? This number obviously comes from the 55 stories not including the crown and spire. (635ft) They showed a diagram with the two buildings being virtually the same height, spires included. :blink: All things being equal, that would make each floor of ST roughly 8 to 8.5 feet tall. And this after showing the Ponder piece and the renderings from Tony's site which show ST much taller. I realize I'm being picky here but if their reporting is this sloppy how off are they on everything else?...and yes I need a life.

Ahhh, consider the source. Any TV station that lets a husband-wife duo do a morning show is strange to begin with.

Wonder where the office will be??

Ahhh, consider the source. Any TV station that lets a husband-wife duo do a morning show is strange to begin with.

Lexy, forgive me for asking, I've tried my best to figure out how to post a picture and no luck. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? I looked in the help section and I must be missing something.

I emailed Tony G. to ask him about the News 2 story. I am in Virginia Beach so I did not see it but based on what was said above, I just had to go to the source. I'll let you all know what he tells me. I can almost bet that the renderings on the Signature Tower sight are accurate. Hopefully News 2 was misinformed. Wow, imagine that, the news not being acurate! Anyways even if they are right we still have to consider that the Signature sight is much higher than Bellsouth sight. Is it true that the News 2 story actually compared the two towers side by side? I cannot find anything on their websight. Please someone give me more details about the story they aired. I hate being out of the state. I feel out of the loop. :blink:

I emailed Tony G. to ask him about the News 2 story. I am in Virginia Beach so I did not see it but based on what was said above, I just had to go to the source. I'll let you all know what he tells me. I can almost bet that the renderings on the Signature Tower sight are accurate. Hopefully News 2 was misinformed. Wow, imagine that, the news not being acurate! Anyways even if they are right we still have to consider that the Signature sight is much higher than Bellsouth sight. Is it true that the News 2 story actually compared the two towers side by side? I cannot find anything on their websight. Please someone give me more details about the story they aired. I hate being out of the state. I feel out of the loop. :blink:

Yeah Bruceman it was sad. Somebody at 2 went to the trouble of creating a "scaled" comparison of the Bell South building, Signature Tower, the Empire State building and another tall building which I can't recall. Our two buildings were shown as 617ft and 636ft. Bob Mueller (sp?) made the comment that ST, while taller than Bell South by two stories, would still be far shorter than the other two buildings.

At the begging of the story, they had a reporter (live) at the top of the L&C tower. It was a pretty cool idea because they used their camera located on top of the Financial Center. Anyway, she stated that ST would be 70% taller than the tower on which she was standing. That would make ST roughly 700ft tall. Not exactly 636ft shown on their diagram. You would think that someone at 2 would do the math and... :blink: ok forget I said that.

Even though I'm being hard on them for the details, it did seem to be a very positive story about Tony and the future of downtown living. Most importantly, Tony got his $12,000,000.00 in TIF! Can't wait to see the CRANES for Signatue Tower!

BTW Hankster, if you didn't see it, the story would have driven you crazy! Apparently they don't have our investigative mathematical abilities.

Lexy, forgive me for asking, I've tried my best to figure out how to post a picture and no luck. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? I looked in the help section and I must be missing something.

Sure. Find a site on the internet that will host you rpics like www.photobucket.com or imageshack. Upload your pics to the site after you sign up and then post them on the forum. When you create a thread, all you have to do is get the address of the picture you loaded to the host site and place it in between the image codes. I myself prefer photobucket.

Sure. Find a site on the internet that will host you rpics like www.photobucket.com or imageshack. Upload your pics to the site after you sign up and then post them on the forum. When you create a thread, all you have to do is get the address of the picture you loaded to the host site and place it in between the image codes. I myself prefer photobucket.

Many thanks

Just watched the Channel 2 story about Signature Tower and wow was it ugly! The details in their coverage were way off the mark. While the publicity is great for Tony, the reporting was embarrassing to say the least. They stated that ST would be 636ft tall, two stories higher than Bell South. Huh????? This number obviously comes from the 55 stories not including the crown and spire. (635ft) They showed a diagram with the two buildings being virtually the same height, spires included. All things being equal, that would make each floor of ST roughly 8 to 8.5 feet tall. And this after showing the Ponder piece and the renderings from Tony's site which show ST much taller. I realize I'm being picky here but if their reporting is this sloppy how off are they on everything else?...and yes I need a life.

The news media not only here but nation wide is sorely lacking in correct details. I have seen this in story after story. It seems to be the TV media more that the print media although I may be wrong about that. I do not put a lot of credence in some of their reporting. Time after time I have seen major blunders and misspeaking on their part, and all I can do is shake my head and wonder how many people just bought into that lie or misconception.

I don't think they have all the facts nor understand the aspects of construction and architecture. I am sure someone screwed up as usual. I am sure Tony Giarratana will at least give us the correct story.

I don't think Tony G. wants to push the project as an 850' +/- tall project. It might awaken the NIMBYs. -_- Instead he seems to be 'spinning' ;) this as just a little taller than the Bell South Tower by claiming the spire should not be included in the total height and only measuring the height to the penthouse.

This tower would be the 7th tallest in NYC if built there and something of that scale and size might be of concern and intimidating to people who are afraid of growth and change. :shok:

So, if the press is confused, the better it serves the project. The facts are there, they just have to dig for them. That is not something a cameraman/reporter is willing to do. And Tony, while he is not tellling any stories, sure isn't going to encourage further discussion as to the true height.

SO, don't tell anybody what I just told you. :whistling: The better our chances are to see this project happen.

I don't think Tony G. wants to push the project as an 850' +/- tall project. It might awaken the NIMBYs. -_- Instead he seems to be 'spinning' ;) this as just a little taller than the Bell South Tower by claiming the spire should not be included in the total height and only measuring the height to the penthouse.

This tower would be the 7th tallest in NYC if built there and something of that scale and size might be of concern and intimidating to people who are afraid of growth and change. :shok:

So, if the press is confused, the better it serves the project. The facts are there, they just have to dig for them. That is not something a cameraman/reporter is willing to do. And Tony, while he is not tellling any stories, sure isn't going to encourage further discussion as to the true height.

SO, don't tell anybody what I just told you. :whistling: The better our chances are to see this project happen.

Point well taken.

Hey guys I got some good news! Tony G. finally responded back to me and this is what he had to say about the New 2 report (Apparently they were not inaccurate) :

Bruce,

Thanks for your note. The building is, indeed, taller than reported.

The

news cast reported the height of the uppermost "occupied" floor...which

is

what they asked me.

Using the CTBUH definition (which measures height from the sidewalk

level of

the main entrance to the structural top of the building, including

spires,

but not television antennas, radio antennas, or flag poles), the

building

height is well over 800 feet.

As we move through Schematic Design Phase architectural during first

quarter

2006 we will be able to more accurately report building height.

Thanks for your interest...let's keep in touch.

Tony :yahoo:

Using the CTBUH definition (which measures height from the sidewalk

level of

the main entrance to the structural top of the building, including

spires,

but not television antennas, radio antennas, or flag poles), the

building

height is well over 800 feet.

As we move through Schematic Design Phase architectural during first

quarter

2006 we will be able to more accurately report building height.

Thanks for your interest...let's keep in touch.

Tony :yahoo:

And this is straight from the horses mouth!!! I've contended all along the the height for this building has been under-reported. My guess still stand at 850 Ft including the spire. Maybe we'll know for sure what it is in about 3 more months. I hope Tony's pre-sales go like gangbusters and he decides to go back to his original plan for 750 units, but without the units around an above ground parking garage as in the earlier design. I would imagine a design change like that would require at least another ten more floors! That would get the building height up to a whopping 950 Ft, maybe even 1000 Ft! :yahoo: OK, I can dream, can't I?

And this is straight from the horses mouth!!! I've contended all along the the height for this building has been under-reported. My guess still stand at 850 Ft including the spire. Maybe we'll know for sure what it is in about 3 more months. I hope Tony's pre-sales go like gangbusters and he decides to go back to his original plan for 750 units, but without the units around an above ground parking garage as in the earlier design. I would imagine a design change like that would require at least another ten more floors! That would get the building height up to a whopping 950 Ft, maybe even 1000 Ft! :yahoo: OK, I can dream, can't I?

872' would be just enough!

A foot taller than BOA in Charlotte. :thumbsup:

Archived