161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hmmm...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, The Cumberland is not THAT bad. I was working in downtown Nashville back when it opened and remember really wanting to live there. I think downtown Nashville has such a vibe going for it that honestly I only get in bigger cities like Chicago or San Francisco. I think it must be the entertainment options (certainly isn't shopping, although it'll be partially there in the next few years). Downtown certainly seems to be the city and region's playground which is awesome because you can't mass-produce that kind of development overnight.

It's all in the vibe, and if it meant we never get another tall, I'd stay right here. I'm sure Memphis and Chattanooga feel the same wayabout their vibe-filled communities.

If those of you living here haven't yet learned to "feel, truly feel" this place, I suggest you try harder. Granted, I've had more time, more experiences, and more exploratory time in my half-century here than some of you, but I fall more and more in love with this city every time I drive through it. It might a new fancy (or not) restaurant or the homeless guy singing on the street asking me if his jacket looks good on him, you just can't beat this place for calling "home" and throwing its character and soul right in your face.

I'll admit I get a bit jealous of some of the structures I see in Charlotte, but that stops when I see things like MTVnashville trucks, sound stages set up in the streets filming videos, foreign journalists exploring the vast music scene here, studio after studio after studio, Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman at Maggie Moo's, Donna Summer at Davis Kidd, tourists (young, trendy, hip tourists) on the streets, major universities making huge local impacts...who's got time to stay jealous over a few buildings. I enjoy UP and our local discussions and the unique lack of fighting over who's got this and who's got that, because none of that really matters. We live here, we love it here, and no matter what Charlotte is doing, we're doing our own thing and we should all be proud of it and excited. Because, my friends, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

It's all in the vibe, and if it meant we never get another tall, I'd stay right here. I'm sure Memphis and Chattanooga feel the same wayabout their vibe-filled communities.

If those of you living here haven't yet learned to "feel, truly feel" this place, I suggest you try harder. Granted, I've had more time, more experiences, and more exploratory time in my half-century here than some of you, but I fall more and more in love with this city every time I drive through it. It might a new fancy (or not) restaurant or the homeless guy singing on the street asking me if his jacket looks good on him, you just can't beat this place for calling "home" and throwing its character and soul right in your face.

I'll admit I get a bit jealous of some of the structures I see in Charlotte, but that stops when I see things like MTVnashville trucks, sound stages set up in the streets filming videos, foreign journalists exploring the vast music scene here, studio after studio after studio, Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman at Maggie Moo's, Donna Summer at Davis Kidd, tourists (young, trendy, hip tourists) on the streets, major universities making huge local impacts...who's got time to stay jealous over a few buildings. I enjoy UP and our local discussions and the unique lack of fighting over who's got this and who's got that, because none of that really matters. We live here, we love it here, and no matter what Charlotte is doing, we're doing our own thing and we should all be proud of it and excited. Because, my friends, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

You nailed it, Dave! Nashville has a vibe that is all it's own, a feeling that's so special....so Nashville! That's what makes it such a great city!

I love skyscrapers, but people make a city, not skyscrapers. We have to remember that most people do not even notice the skyline. We do, but most don't. We are architectual enthusiasts, but most people never look up. Street level activity is really where it is at. Suntrust Plaza and Viridian are going to make a great impact on the street level. Adelicia, Icon, 12th and Division, Encore, and Harrison Lofts are not going to be towers or even skyscrapers. They are street level midrises that will have more effect on the street life than the skyline. That is most important. Yes, Atlanta and Charlotte have giant skyscrapers, but they have hundreds of surface parking lots and Atlanta lacks a lot of infill. Memphis and Chattanooga may lack buildings as tall as Nashville, but they have a lot more infill and density per capita.

I hope we get Signature, but every tier one and tier two city is getting downtown high rise condo's. I want an office building 600 or 700 feet in downtown. I want a corporate headquarters in downtown Nashville. Only 750 people can afford to live in Signature, but as many as 5000 people can work in a 40-60 story office tower at one time or another. Yes, I like the idea of people living on Church Street, but I would love an additional 10,000 working downtown. I would love a 73 story Peachtree style hotel in downtown Nashville.

Maybe Richard Fletcher of 511 group may someday build NCC 2.

Hey, I just drove through Brentwood, too. It's my least favorite place in all of ... in the whole world, I guess. Unfortunately, I don't get to drive all the way to Inglewood to get home. Just kidding about the humidity, though. I know exactly what you mean about "feeling" the city and falling in love with it everyday. Although I'm only a quarter century old and haven't spent all of it in Nashville, I would agree that there is a vibe to this place (although lots of places have a vibe) and it doesn't have anything to do with skyscrapers and corporate headquarters and all that. While it's cool that you can see celebrities(although most make me want to vom), it's better that we've got universities, cultural institutions and growing diversity. We were one of only three cities in the country that served as a polling place for Iraqi's for their last election. We should be proud that people from other countries want to come here and call Nashville home. Now we need tall buildings for them to live and work in downtown. Although this is off topic to this thread in particular, it's not really off topic when talking about an "urban planet," I read that a neighborhood with three or more ethnicities cohabitating is more peaceful, open, and relaxed than places with two. To me, that is the most exciting prospect about the future, let's melt this pot and create the greatest city the south has seen.

Please! Let's not allow this forum to devolve into a Nashville vs. Charlotte argument. Thank God, that both cities are nothing alike. That's the reason, I boycott those silly-ass polls.

As far as skyline size, Charlotte has always had a bigger skyline for as long as I remember. I live in the city with the biggest, most impressive skyline in the south, but I'm little impressed by a city's skyline. I'm jazzed by what happens at street level.

As for the two, CLT/NASH... they've both come into their own in the last 10-15. As such, I've always thought that Nashville was about 5-7 years behind in downtown development. Certainly, I don't think the same way about the other things that make a city vibrant.

CLT does better than NSH in certain areas, while NSH does better in other areas. From my perspective (and I've spent a lot of time in both cities), they are very comparable cities in development. CLT has been committed to a strong downtown for at least the last 10 years and is doing quite well. NSH has just awakened to the real possibilities of its downtown (if it discovers the river, then there won't be anything in ATL or CLT to compare). Actually, I think NSH has shot itself in the foot many times in the past and allowed so much to go to Franklin, and now Murfreesboro.

One big distinction between CLT and NSH is that CLT has long been the commercial center of its region. NSH has long been the largest city of a cluster of large towns/cities. Hence, it has more of a sprawling effect. That being said, IMHO I've always thought that NSH feels like Austin while CLT feels like a little ATL. Both great towns, just in different ways.

I just drove through Charlotte as I have every year for 12 years and they have nothing on Nashville in skyline, density, and certainly not roads. I will conceed BOA and maybe even Hurst tower is great but that is all. Take BOA away and you have Nashville.

Lets try to stay on topic please. The attempt to have a vs. thread died quickly earlier, so lets all try to avoid creating any reasons for anyone to want to come into the thread and debate the merit's of anyone else's opinions on either city's skyline, roads, density, etc., being better than the others, esp. in a thread about whether or not you like Sig tower.

Dangit, I spelled Signature wrong...

Fixed! :D

Plasticman, living on the edge. lol. Love it.

I wish comparison threads were possible without our passions taking hold of good debate and throwing it all out the window. One only has to review a bit of the past on another forum to know how this can get really, really out of hand. But we all know what plastic is saying.

And nashvillain, good comments. The ethnicity part was interesting. It would be interesting to read more about that somewhere. I'm sure there are variables that bring into consideration local culture & mores, financial demographics, which groups live side by side in harmony as opposed to some who do not, how geography affects the theory, and why, when I try to think about it, I only see the press on unrest in Antioch.

The Belmont/Hillsboro area comes into mind. It seems quite diverse with many races and ethnicities represented. I see it as a very peaceful area, exciting, urban and beautiful.

So, do you think the "root" of all peace could be money?

Makes me go, "hmmmmm." Sorry to stray so far.

Dave, money is the root of all evil, didn't you know? Certainly, if there was more equity in our society there would be less crime but equity and more money aren't the same. Every working person makes more money than in previous generations but the middle and lower classes are continually getting priced out of existence. Hurricane Katrina made this blatantly clear.

Anyway, that's not really what I wanted to talk about. As far as Antioch, I think it may be too suburban and thus too segregated to be a good example. The key ingredient, which I left unclear, is integration. And besides, I would say that much violent crime is perpetrated intra-racially or even within the same family. Thus, whites, blacks, and latinos might not be mixing in the streets but they're not shooting at each other either.

Well, I don't want to get too far away from the subject of shiny new buildings, which I think are great and get me really excited and funny feeling and stuff, I suppose I should start my own thread about sociology and cultural anthropology or whatever.

I've been watching the symphony site since groundbreaking. As long as it's been, we've still got some time to go before September. It'll only get better and better.

I love that 2dimes website, done from Memphis. Obviously one fellow does too. In one picture (no. 5) in Signature he's strolling down Church St., then he goes on vacation and is strolling in front of (picture 1) the Miracles project in Panama City. I love travel, but he should change his clothes for the beach. :) "Clip art" has come a long, long way.

I really think Signature will happen, but I woud love to see a 20 or 30 story office tower for some more infill. Signature will spark more development on Church Street.

IF, and it's a big IF, Signature gets built...the office development downtown will increase. With people comes demand, especially in transit prone areas of the core.

Why a 'big IF', Lexy ? Are you a Signature-skeptic ?

Lord no. I think a lot of the issues about the building will be dealt with by the next Mayor in Nashville. I honestly don't believe that Purcell (current Mayor) will have to deal with too much of this project. I think they are talking about a 2007 start date. I may be completely wrong though. I have been known to be that from time to time.

Lord no. I think a lot of the issues about the building will be dealt with by the next Mayor in Nashville. I honestly don't believe that Purcell (current Mayor) will have to deal with too much of this project. I think they are talking about a 2007 start date. I may be completely wrong though. I have been known to be that from time to time.

Lexy, you're right about the 2007 date. I think you're right about Purcell as well. Do you think it will take more of a "cheerleader" type of advocate in the Mayor's office to help ST along or will it even matter? I think the project is strong enough on it's own but I also think Tony wouldn't mind all the support he can get.

Lexy, you're right about the 2007 date. I think you're right about Purcell as well. Do you think it will take more of a "cheerleader" type of advocate in the Mayor's office to help ST along or will it even matter? I think the project is strong enough on it's own but I also think Tony wouldn't mind all the support he can get.

Dave may be the best to ask this question too but I will give it a shot. I think the "cheerleader" in the office is a great thing for the Council and other boards to hear. But, it is not a saving grace by any means. I do think it is strong enough to stand alone, but any push from behind that Tony can get, I am sure he would welcome with open arms. I am anxious to see who decides to run and where their stand is on the urban redevelopment of the core. That, as it becomes available, should shed more light on the situation that lay ahead of us. Good question.

Good answer, Lex. Mayors, at least locally in the past few years, have left legacies with large projects, i.e. Bredesen with the arena and the Coliseum, Richard Fulton left us Church Street as a winding '70s experiment that the city is just now correcting. Purcell has given us sidewalks and the Courthouse Plaza (which shouldn't be ignored...it will be grand), (I think the Library and its new branches, police precinct facilities, and now a practical deal for the Sounds development.

It's important for the Mayor to be current in zoning laws, control over city funds which are often needed by multiple groups, so on and so forth. I believe a mayor who helps facilitate private developers will be important. The city's infrastructure is our business and it's good to see that the city is doing its part in areas like the Gulch, Rolling Mill Hill, Church St. and Capitol Blvd., the James Robertson Parkway streetscape project, many of which are in places where developers have embraced the projects and are investing hundreds of millions of dollars. Sure, it's hand in hand. The buildings will come, the city must chip in, but remember that the running of the city is not to be in the real estate business, but as a partner is seeing that the private dollars keep pouring in.

According to a study by the Brookings Institute thinktank, the growth won't stop, the momentum is here. Like I've said so many times before, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

As far as Signature is concerned, I think it will happen. I think once people start seeing the city with completed projects and streetscapes, amenities that will soon show up, and the clean, slick nature of downtown made possible by the current projects, they'll come in droves.

Thanks guys. Btw Lexy, I love your Bellsouth moon picture which reminds me. I'm sure this has been talked about before and that most of you know but, I think one of the most unique things to ever happen to our skyline is that it's in the begining of The Matrix. Even though they cut the spires off the Bellsouth tower. There also was another movie that had a very nice shot of the city (at night) from the north side. It was the view outside the "bad guy's" office. It was a pretty close shot maybe taken from Bicentennial Park. Does anyone remember what that movie was? I don't.

Archived