161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hmmm...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaushell - Can you confirm/elaborate on the helipad?

Helipad? I certainly haven't heard word of that. Can't imagine. The crown would have to go away, or the pool deck. Neither will happen. Just a bad rumor.

I can tell you that we hired and tried to hire several helicopter pilots to shoot low but they refused because of the turbulance caused by the buildings in that area - thus you wouldn't want it where the pool deck is.

Where does this info come from?

Helipad? I certainly haven't heard word of that. Can't imagine. The crown would have to go away, or the pool deck. Neither will happen. Just a bad rumor.

I can tell you that we hired and tried to hire several helicopter pilots to shoot low but they refused because of the turbulance caused by the buildings in that area - thus you wouldn't want it where the pool deck is.

I believe post #142. Maybe it was referring to a different building, but this is the Signature Tower thread.

This came from a salesman's conversation with one of the people in Turner Univeral's office. We had the preview construction plans in our office last week and there was no mention of it in the drawings, but there were two alternates to the construction of the floors.

I would agree that for now it is hear-say or a rumor, but it did come from the construction office that was hand picked for this project.

This came from a salesman's conversation with one of the people in Turner Univeral's office. We had the preview construction plans in our office last week and there was no mention of it in the drawings, but there were two alternates to the construction of the floors.

I would agree that for now it is hear-say or a rumor, but it did come from the construction office that was hand picked for this project.

Duke32, Are the plans you've seen schematic or are they permitable construction drawings ?

It was only 1 of the typical floors in the tower for estimating purposes only. There were two alternates for construction design. Nothing much to look at. The drawing was mostly incomplete, but enough to start getting a ballpark figure for construction cost.

It was only 1 of the typical floors in the tower for estimating purposes only. There were two alternates for construction design. Nothing much to look at. The drawing was mostly incomplete, but enough to start getting a ballpark figure for construction cost.

That sounds much more like conceptuals than schematics. For those not familiar with these terms, plans typically progress from conceptual to schematic and then to full construction drawings. Tony announced in April/May that he had 2 contractors pricing "drawings"; they were probably conceptual. He later announced that Turner would build it. However, if he's still working through "conceptuals" I wouldn't count on a groundbreaking in a few months. Many announced projects that never materialize often get as far as schematics. Far fewer progress to full construction drawings without starting but it does happen.

On a related note, last week a columnist in the City Paper quoted Tony as having sold 3 big units last week but glossed over the fact that he says he's still only reserved 120 units. If this and the status of his drawings is what it seems I think he'll be lucky to start next summer if he starts at all. In order to get a loan he'll need at least 2 things: a tight contract with a GC based upon "construction drawings" and at least 200 hard contracts, maybe more; lenders are being very conservative lately and I don't see this trend changing soon, especially in a small unproven market.

BTW don't count me as a critic of the ST; although I don't care for the floor plans I like the exterior design and think the project's success would be really good for our market.

Are "construction drawings" the ones submitted to the City/County for review to get a building permit?

Yes. A developer/builder usually submits a set that's much more advanced than schematic but is less than 100% complete construction drawings. Usually, a foundation permit is obtained and then a full building permit later when the plans are close to 100%. Generally speaking, you can't get either with conceptual or schematic drawings.

These drawings were pretty much a pre-construction bid set. One floor plan showed conventional slab & beam construction and the other alternate showed a post-tensioned design. I think right now the whole project is getting "priced up" only to see which structural design to go with. I'm pretty sure they will go with the post-tensioned (or PT) design which is how pretty much every concrete slab is done these days.

Archived