Clemson-Carolina Stadiums

btoy

We're proud down here in Columbia. Biggest city in the state, the capital city, home of the largest university, the most college students, the largest football stadium, the largest basketball, etc. arena, 3 rivers, a national park, a large lake, 3 interstate highways, 2 significant arts and entertainment areas, the state's tallest building, the most skyscrapers, wide streets, terrific neighborhoods, awesome parks...I could go on and on.

What are you baseing your largest stadium on. If it is capcaity then you are wrong. According to the USC Atheletics Departments own website official capacity is is 80,250 people with the largest game drawing a crowd of 85,000 against Clemson in 2001.

While Clemson's offical capacity is 81,000 people and that number will be going up when the west endzone project is complete. Clemson's largest attendance was over 86,000 fans for Bowden Bowl One.

So while the numbers are close if your basing that comment on capacity I would have to say USC does not have the largest stadium in the State.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you baseing your largest stadium on. If it is capcaity then you are wrong. According to the USC Atheletics Departments own website official capacity is is 80,250 people with the largest game drawing a crowd of 85,000 against Clemson in 2001.

While Clemson's offical capacity is 81,000 people and that number will be going up when the west endzone project is complete. Clemson's largest attendance was over 86,000 fans for Bowden Bowl One.

So while the numbers are close if your basing that comment on capacity I would have to say USC does not have the largest stadium in the State.

Brad, the ACC forced Clemson to reduce their official capacity because it was so vague and overstated. Clemson's "official" capacity is now 78,000 while USC's is 80,250.

Brad, the ACC forced Clemson to reduce their official capacity because it was so vague and overstated. Clemson's "official" capacity is now 78,000 while USC's is 80,250.

That is not true. I work for the ACC and I know of no such thing. The capacity dropped for this year only due to the fact that construction is taking place and 2,000 seats were removed for construction. The fire marshall asked the University to not state attendance at being 84,000 or higher due to the official capacity being 81,275....They used to count the amount of folks sititng on the hills in the west endzone and east endzone in their capacity making it 85,000 to 86,000, but they can longer do that.

That is not true. I work for the ACC and I know of no such thing. The capacity dropped for this year only due to the fact that construction is taking place and 2,000 seats were removed for construction. The fire marshall asked the University to not state attendance at being 84,000 or higher due to the official capacity being 81,275....They used to count the amount of folks sititng on the hills in the west endzone and east endzone in their capacity making it 85,000 to 86,000, but they can longer do that.

Clemson is not even in Greenville, USC is in downtown Columbia. what city are you all representing Greenville or Spartanburg??

This turned from a Greenville Main St. vs. Columbia Main St. to Clemson's stadium vs. Carolina's stadium...LOL

LOL< and the only reason is because I was stating Columbia's superlatives and listed "the state's largest stadium" as one of our attributes. It just goes to show you how deep the Carolina Clemson rivalry goes. Go Cocks!!!

Alright, well, to be on topic about the stadiums, I must say that Clemson has a better atmosphere. Also, they have a lot of unique traditions that involve the stadium. The team rides a bus from the west side's locker rooms to the east, where they proceed to touch the rock and run down the infamous hill. Also, the updates that have been done to the stadium: the brickwork, the new gates, the signage, etc are really nice. I really don't think there's all that much comparison on the stadiums. Size maybe, but not otherwise.

Oh man, haven't experienced an Upstate / Midstate rivalry here yet - but I knew you all had it in you :)

I've been to both, Clemson on all counts. As for USC - those are neat circular walkways though - nice symetry. Speaking of that USC, who will be the next coach, the clone of Bear Bryant - I can't think of many other great unemployed coaches ;)

Oh man, haven't experienced an Upstate / Midstate rivalry here yet - but I knew you all had it in you :)

I've been to both, Clemson on all counts. As for USC - those are neat circular walkways though - nice symetry. Speaking of that USC, who will be the next coach, the clone of Bear Bryant - I can't think of many other great unemployed coaches ;)

:rofl:

Hopefully a law enforcement officer to get those boys in line.

I just don't see why seeing some guys running down a hill and touching some rock is so great. Nothing beats 2001. Nothing.

It's all about the tradition and the excitement that it evokes. The freshmen were talking about looking forward to their first experience of it, and every single one of them that were interviewed said that for their first game they would more than likely be over come with emotion and weep as the step into the valley and noise and energy hits them... I think that speaks for itself.

I'm not so sure what's so great about cocky coming out of a curtain with fire extinguishing smoke everywhere... call me crazy, but i don't get it!?

LOL, what you should visit some the older threads. There's always some animosity going on between the Midlands and Upstate. Just curious what do you York County natives consider yourselves? Midlands or Upstate? I always considered York, & Lancaster counties midland because of the 803 area code.

You know what, that's a good question. I've seen York County grouped with both the Upstate and the Midlands (usually in more of an informal fashion).

York County is part of the tourism region known as the Olde English District, comprised of Chester, Chesterfield, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lancaster, Union and York counties. The York County Public Library System website states "York County is in Olde English District in upstate South Carolina." On the website of the Historical Center of York County website, it states "York County is unique in the South Carolina upstate because of its active encouragement of heritage preservation and its support for historical research." Apparently, the county considers itself part of the Upstate.

But if you go by area codes, one site has:

Area Code 803 - Midlands - Aiken, Camden, Columbia, Lancaster, Newberry, Orangeburg, Rock Hill, Sumter

York County's close proximity to Charlotte really weakens its identity as either a Midlands or an Upstate county. I'd say the more accurate description is that York County is in the central piedmont region of the Carolinas.

Archived