Clemson-Carolina Stadiums

btoy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We considered ourselves Upstate - primarily due to cultural ties. The Upstate region was settled roughly the same time by Scott-Irish settlers in the 1700's. And considering my family descended from those settlers - my family at least had a greater affinity towards Spartanburg & Greenville rather than Columbia. Additionally the topography of York County is the upper Piedmont, which borders the Foothills - so that is another similarity with Upstate. Lastly, the textile economy was the premier economic force in Rock Hill just as it was in Spartanburg & Greenville.

But based on modern cultural patterns - what York County is considered TODAY is a good question. Interstate highways are likely have greater prominance in people's cultural identity than topography or ethnic assimilation. Because of that, I-77 may now be viewed as tieing Rock Hill closer to Columbia & Charlotte than Spartanburg & Greenville. Western York County though - may likely have a greater amount of affinity towards Upstate.

But as krazeeboi suggests - Charlotte's dominance really throws a wrench into the theory.

Spartan, is being a Clemson student not creating any loyalty to the school for ya?

You know- you'd think it would.... and yet it has not. ;)

It has changed in that I'm more inclined to pull for Clemson when they play other teams. But I know where I came from, and I know which school accepted me for my undergrad and which one give me "the finger," so to speak.

We considered ourselves Upstate - primarily due to cultural ties. The Upstate region was settled roughly the same time by Scott-Irish settlers in the 1700's. And considering my family descended from those settlers - my family at least had a greater affinity towards Spartanburg & Greenville rather than Columbia. Additionally the topography of York County is the upper Piedmont, which borders the Foothills - so that is another similarity with Upstate. Lastly, the textile economy was the premier economic force in Rock Hill just as it was in Spartanburg & Greenville.

But based on modern cultural patterns - what York County is considered TODAY is a good question. Interstate highways are likely have greater prominance in people's cultural identity than topography or ethnic assimilation. Because of that, I-77 may now be viewed as tieing Rock Hill closer to Columbia & Charlotte than Spartanburg & Greenville. Western York County though - may likely have a greater amount of affinity towards Upstate.

But as krazeeboi suggests - Charlotte's dominance really throws a wrench into the theory.

The historical ties to the Upstate are exactly why York is in the Upstate. The reason it is separated today is only because it is hard to access it from the rest of the region.

Does anyone have some current photos of the two stadiums?

I remember the one in Columbia being quite modern looking when it was built. I don't really remember the one in Clemson that well except that to sit in the top seats took a bit of leap of faith that you might survive the altitude. :lol:

These look to be fairly recent images (though they are not actual pictures). Clemson's stadium is having the West End Zone expanded, so it is currently under construction (the side in the forground of this pic... the other side is there they run down the hill. woo.)

Clemson's stadium is definately taller. Carolina's just looks better to me. More powerful.

This really isn't too difficult.

Clemson - great gameday atmosphere, a college town, Lake Hartwell nearby, excitement in the air, and a winning tradition.

South Carolina - a stadium next to the state fairgrounds that looks like a dead cockroach and a long tradition of losing. Oh yeah, and a history of total domination by your rival.

HEARTBREAK.jpg

The Carolina tailgating experience is far superior to that of Clemson. The Gamecock spirit is far superior to any other team out there, regardless of conference. Excitement is built into that spirit. Where else in the world can you find such a dedicated fanbase for a team that looses as much as we do? Nowhere! Even the pro's can't pull that off. Even when Clemson has a bad season they can't pull out the numbers like Carolina :)

Cockroaches are the only thing that can survive a nuclear blast right? I think that is a compliment. Its also a statement of jealosy because the Brice looks so much cooler and intimidating than 'Death Valley.'

On gameday, Clemson locks down. All traffic is either to or from the stadium. I don't see than many people using the lake. I mean, its there, but so waht?

In Columbia- just avoid Assembly and you're fine.

Who needs a lake and College Ave when you have the many fine urban entertainment choices that Columbia has to offer?

The college gameday atmosphere is far FAR better in Clemson than Columbia, as duely noted by many who've been to both (myself included). That is my opinion.

Those who know Clemson more are going to say Clemson, and those who know Columbia more are going to say Columbia. It's the personal experience that makes us feel as we do in each of the stadiums. The rivalry is clearly defined, and therefore you'll not find any fan of one team ever saying that the other's gameday, tailgating, and stadium are better. That is what makes us FANS. :yahoo:

The college gameday atmosphere is far FAR better in Clemson than Columbia, as duely noted by many who've been to both (myself included). That is my opinion.

Those who know Clemson more are going to say Clemson, and those who know Columbia more are going to say Columbia. It's the personal experience that makes us feel as we do in each of the stadiums. The rivalry is clearly defined, and therefore you'll not find any fan of one team ever saying that the other's gameday, tailgating, and stadium are better. That is what makes us FANS. :yahoo:

Actually, I have a friend who goes to Carolina and she was in Clemson one Saturday and liked the experience so much more. Because you're still on campus and you've got tailgates intermingled with various university buildings and she liked the fact that the whole city pretty much shuts down. and I definitely think that it adds to the experience and atmoshpere.

So you're saying that USC's lights are more intimidating? Well Clemson doesn't need the structure to look intimidating, we've got the fans in the stadium making the noise of intimidation! :yahoo:

Anyways, no competition: CLEMSON BABY!, GO TIGERS!

I hate to remind you guys, but I have gone to both schools, so I know each fairly well. I am speaking with first hand knowledge here. I have had many a Clemson fan (and other schools too) tell me that they always like tailgating at Carolina because it doesn't shut down.

This is not to say that Clemson's are bad. Just not as good.

The lights are not intimidating, the stadium's situation is. You can see it from far away in any direction, and usually from where you are tailgating too, and its huge. I like being able to see the stadium. Here at Clemson, you usually park far off somewhere unless you have the big bucks to get closer in. Then, at least for me, its a long hike up hill to the stadium. That part of Columbia is flat, so hills are not an issue.

My main issue with the town shutting down is that if I needed to get to campus or downtown for some reason, it couldn't happen. Being the urbanist that I am, I like to have multiple options to get to where I am going, and being in a town designed for 20,000 when about 60,000 more are pouring in can be very frustrating.

Actually, I have a friend who goes to Carolina and she was in Clemson one Saturday and liked the experience so much more. Because you're still on campus and you've got tailgates intermingled with various university buildings and she liked the fact that the whole city pretty much shuts down. and I definitely think that it adds to the experience and atmoshpere.

So you're saying that USC's lights are more intimidating? Well Clemson doesn't need the structure to look intimidating, we've got the fans in the stadium making the noise of intimidation! :yahoo:

Anyways, no competition: CLEMSON BABY!, GO TIGERS!

Of course the town of Clemson is going to shut down when there is a Clemson game in town. How can Columbia shut down for a game when it's a much larger city? We're comparing oceans to rivers when using an aspect such as which city shuts down for its home games.

I also agree with you Spartan, I am also an urbanist and like various options of getting around.

Of course the town of Clemson is going to shut down when there is a Clemson game in town. How can Columbia shut down for a game when it's a much larger city? We're comparing oceans to rivers when using an aspect such as which city shuts down for its home games.

I also agree with you Spartan, I am also an urbanist and like various options of getting around.

I agree about comparing the "shutting down" aspect. But what I'm saying is, that it adds to the atmosphere and experience that is Clemson football. It enables the whole campus to link together without as much interference, connecting one tailgating area to another...

But i'm not sure what Spartan is talking about. All of the main roads are open, maybe a bit more congestion but that's going to happen anywhere when a large event it taking place. Clemson is a small town and doesnt have all that many "various options" to choose from. maybe you could clarify if i'm mistaken on what you're actually talking about.

To the comparison of the terrain of the land around the stadiums. Sure it's neat to see the stadium as you come up to it, like USC's. BUT from an architectural standpoint, I see it differently. The Egyptians built their sacred complexes the way that I see Clemson's set up-Not that Clemson had too much choice in the matter. But the Egyptians designed their paths that led up the structure so that they gave you glimpses at different points of approach, but you didn't get to see the entire thing yet. Once you reached the entrance or main gateway, you came around a wall or something that obstructed your view and were just HIT with this grand, massive structure infront of you. It is more dramatic. therefore it is also Intimidating and something that cannot be described.

Clemson all the way! I understand the pyramidal relationship and I like the analogy. There really is nothing like walking behing the band as they parade to the stadium down Fort Hill Street and once you reach the bottom and reach the clearing from the trees you're all of the sudden upon a massive structure and the renovations look absolutely first class!

I agree about comparing the "shutting down" aspect. But what I'm saying is, that it adds to the atmosphere and experience that is Clemson football. It enables the whole campus to link together without as much interference, connecting one tailgating area to another...

But i'm not sure what Spartan is talking about. All of the main roads are open, maybe a bit more congestion but that's going to happen anywhere when a large event it taking place. Clemson is a small town and doesnt have all that many "various options" to choose from. maybe you could clarify if i'm mistaken on what you're actually talking about.

To the comparison of the terrain of the land around the stadiums. Sure it's neat to see the stadium as you come up to it, like USC's. BUT from an architectural standpoint, I see it differently. The Egyptians built their sacred complexes the way that I see Clemson's set up-Not that Clemson had too much choice in the matter. But the Egyptians designed their paths that led up the structure so that they gave you glimpses at different points of approach, but you didn't get to see the entire thing yet. Once you reached the entrance or main gateway, you came around a wall or something that obstructed your view and were just HIT with this grand, massive structure infront of you. It is more dramatic. therefore it is also Intimidating and something that cannot be described.

Old Greenville, College Ave, Perimeter, etc, are all 'open' to be sure, but don't expect to go anywhere other than the stadium. Thats all I mean. I generally don't use Tiger Blvd at all as there is nothing there that I need; so from my perspective, things are shut down around the campus or extremely hard to access. And of course I understand that its a small town, and that is part of the gameday experience. Thats great, but its just not for me.

I think that comparing Memorial Stadium to the Pyramids is a bit of a stretch. The only way you can see it like that is if you come from the Seneca direction on 93. But I do have to admit that it is a cool site to see the stadium off in the distance like that. Its still not as awe inspring as seeing USC's stadium while going down Assembly, but thats cool ;)

Archived