Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

eastsider

wesbite

JetBlue has announced that it will start offering service from Austin Bergstrom International Airport to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and Logan International Airport in Boston. Service will begin on January 19, 2006 with three daily nonstop flights to JFK and one daily nonstop to Logan. This will be the first service to go directly from Austin to Boston since 2002. Delta Air Lines will have two daily nonstop flights to New York begining this Saturday, which combined with JetBlue and existing service will give Austin a total of seven daily flights to New York.

Adding more nonstop flights to the East Coast has been at the top of Austin employers' wish list for years, said Andy Carlson, director of corporate recruiting for the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce. New York, the nation's business capital, and Boston, a major tech center, have been particular targets.

Austin American-Statesman: JetBlue to land in Austin

Austin Business Journal: JetBlue flying into Austin with NYC, Boston service

ABIA Press Release: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinairport/nr_101105.htm

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JetBlue began it's service in Austin today with three daily flights to New York and one to Boston. The company CEO stated that if these flights are successful, the airline would consider adding more flights to more cities, possibly Long Beach and Burbank in the Los Angeles area.

"People in New York and Boston want nonstop service to Austin, but it's been too difficult and expensive. We think it's too great a city to keep under wraps any longer," David Neeleman, JetBlue's CEO, says in a statement.

Austin Business Journal: JetBlue takes off in Austin

This is great news for Austin! As much as I love Big D and consider it my 2nd hometown, I think I could almost be a clandestine traitor for Austin! :P I just love this city. I fall in love all over again each time I go down there. :wub: I'm sure Jet Blue will do very well. I'm still hoping they're gonna land at GSP or CHS in the near future! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is great news for Austin! As much as I love Big D and consider it my 2nd hometown, I think I could almost be a clandestine traitor for Austin! :P I just love this city. I fall in love all over again each time I go down there. :wub: I'm sure Jet Blue will do very well. I'm still hoping they're gonna land at GSP or CHS in the near future! :)

Not CHS or GSP, but CLT and RDU in July...

• 3 months later...

American Airlines will be increasing the size of the plane used in their Austin-San Jose route because of increased demand. They have been useing 136-seat MD80s and will begin useing 188-seat Boeing 757s on two of the three daily flights starting Dec. 14th.

The flights earned the nickname "Nerd Bird" during the tech boom in the 1990s, when the planes were packed with laptop-pounding passengers who worked for tech companies in both cities.

Austin American-Statesman: American boosts jet size on Austin-San Jose route

Its interesting on how the cargo comming through the airport has been declining while passenger traffic continues to increase at a healthy clip. We should be hearing some news about the start of phase one wich will the the first major expansion of the airport. I had heard once we pass I think at least 7 million to 7.5 million mark wich is supposed to be a trigger point to start the expansion. this will be 5 gates that will be built on the east end of the concorse.

• 3 months later...

Aeromexico will begin service between Austin and Mexico City begining December 15 with four flights a week. This will be the only nonstop international desination from Austin-Berstrom.

From Austin, the flight will depart Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday at 2:45 p.m. and the return flight from Mexico City will depart there at 11:15 a.m.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the company website, ExpressJet will begin nonstop service from Austin to nine cities outside of Texas this spring. The destination cities include:

Ontario, CA

Jacksonville

New Orleans

Kansas City

Tucson, AZ

Albuquerque

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Corpus Christi

An announcement is expected to be made on Monday.

Austin American Statesman: ExpressJet to start Austin flights

Archived