Official name question

gs3

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, its great to make fun of the SOB's in Charleston :lol:

The offical maps from the city show it as the "West End" ... thats never made sense to me since its South of town- but whatever ;)

But the West End is across the Reedy from downtown. and if you follow South Main St that must go south. But main street curves to what must be the West. making it the West end.

Yeah, its great to make fun of the SOB's in Charleston :lol:

The offical maps from the city show it as the "West End" ... thats never made sense to me since its South of town- but whatever ;)

Don't forget the SNOBs in Charleston as well. :D

In an article in yesterday's Greenville Journal, I saw it spelled "westend". I would never have noticed until this post came along.

What's the Northend?

I like the fact that downtown and West End are sort of two different neighborhoods (I think of them that way, anyway, rather than all of it just being considered downtown). They definitely have different vibes despite being separated only by the Reedy River.

In the future, I hope that neighborhoods will develop with names different than just directional terms. I know we're not big enough to have "uptown" and "midtown" and stuff like that, but perhaps we will have some uniquely-named villages one day. Yet another thing that gives a city character. :)

Archived