Greenville High

gs3

Haven't seen anything here on this topic. Is Greenville high under a complete renovation? Additions? Classes are currently being held in another once vacant school....is that correct? Just curious, as this is so close to the new Westend Stadium. Never been in Greenville High, but the main older building looks pretty great. The way it sits on the hill at the corner with the large trees, looks like a great opportunity for some major updated landscaping along with the renovation.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen anything here on this topic. Is Greenville high under a complete renovation? Additions? Classes are currently being held in another once vacant school....is that correct? Just curious, as this is so close to the new Westend Stadium. Never been in Greenville High, but the main older building looks pretty great. The way it sits on the hill at the corner with the large trees, looks like a great opportunity for some major updated landscaping along with the renovation.

I'm not totally sure what's going on exactly... But I've been in it and the class rooms are TINY. But there are GREAT views of downtown from the upper floors. There are OLD hardwoods throughout the school, i think, or most of it. It's a neat place, could use some fixing up on the grounds- kind of scary looking with that old fence with ugly vines growing wild on it... Of course, I went to JL Mann, so maybe i'm biased some what... :blush:

This year was the first time I had a chance to check out Parker and their is some great buildings that are mixed in with the awful "updating". In the middle of the campus their is a two story classic Greek revival building that is not see from the road. Check it out

I took the SAT at Greenville High back in 1990, and thought it was a dump then. Although I can appreciate it from an architectural standpoint, it is an ugly building.

However, if they are knocking it down, I am sure the new building will be much worse. Have you see the awful schools they are building?

I took the SAT at Greenville High back in 1990, and thought it was a dump then. Although I can appreciate it from an architectural standpoint, it is an ugly building.

However, if they are knocking it down, I am sure the new building will be much worse. Have you see the awful schools they are building?

They're not gonna knock the building down. That thing was built in 1923 or something. There'd be such an uproar over that, you'd be able to hear it in Columbia. It's going to be essentially gutted on the inside and rebuilt up to modern standards. Just about the only thing that won't be touched is the basketball gym. When I was there in the late 90s, internet cables were being installed to every classroom. They had to attach them to the walls in the hallways, and drill holes through the wall to get them to the classroom. They are also adding much needed athletic practice fields to the property. Until now, the football team would practice in the outfield of the baseball field since it was the only on campus field. Now the tennis and softball teams might have a home-field advantage instead of the Cleveland Park advantage.

I agree that there are some UGLY new schools being built around Greenville, BUT the new JL Mann, from the renderings that I've seen is going to be beautiful! :thumbsup:

You know what, there are some ugly schools being built, but on the positive side, there are ALOT of schools being built (replaced). I've lived in several major cities and never seen so much school construction activity. This should bode well for Greenville (Upstate) students!

Just a side note, speaking of our Greenville County schools, JL Mann is working on a timeline project to lay in the walkway leading up to the main entrance of the new school. The side walk will be made up of tiles with historical events that pertain to Greenville, to SC, and to the US, as well as major World events.

Anyways, this is all to help pay for a life size commissioned bronze statue of a Patriot for the atrium. To pay for this, bricks are being sold and you can put writing on them. They are reasonably priced and a great way to help out the community by helping to create an awesome entrance into a school. This is a school that will be viewed by lots of visitors and potential residents... etc -- seeing as people who live in Verdae will send their children here as well as other people who may work at ICAR and live and decide to live close by in the area... If you go here: www.greenville.k12.sc.us/jlmann you can scroll down and click on the link, where you can read more about it and figure out how to help!

You know what, there are some ugly schools being built, but on the positive side, there are ALOT of schools being built (replaced). I've lived in several major cities and never seen so much school construction activity. This should bode well for Greenville (Upstate) students!

I have to agree here. I hadn't seen a new school built in my lifetime in my old school district in NY. Talk about ugly and outdated. When I came down here, I had never seen so many new schools! I thought every one was beautiful!

Great link! Shows how much construction is happening. Question, where is JL Mann located? The photo on this link shows an interstate running right beside it....I can't place where it is.

The street address for JL Mann High School is 61 Isbell Ln. Greenville 29607. The long road that goes of I-85 is Ridge Rd.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...c&zipcode=29607

The old Mann is off of East Parkins Mill Rd which is off of Laurens Rd. It backs up to 85. The new Mann is going to be directly behind St. Joseph's high at the corner of Fair Forest and Ridge Rds. It will be next to the Global Trade Park. It's just moving across the interstate and across Ridge Rd.

Archived