Reading All About It

bluefansmc

I write a column for the Downtown Journal (Skyway News) now and then and am wondering... What would you be interested in reading about? I've done a lot of national stuff but I really enjoy writing about the downtown area, its people and events here. I have one I'm working on now but I seriously wonder aloud sometimes, "What would people like to know more about or see covered?"

Anything come to mind?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is plenty written about buildings and projects.

There are lots of events going on that I often don't hear about until it's too late. Some of them are obscure but could be fun (e.g. the Metrodome is hosting the Youth in Music marching band championships on Oct. 22, but I haven't heard anything in the press about it yet.) Convention center events seem pretty well covered given their PR machine, but smaller events around the city's clubs and hotspots are usually just given a tiny blurb somewhere.

I really like the Downtown Journal. Keep the good stuff coming!

I can't speak for other people but what I like hearing about the most is new buildings being built, renovated or demolished downtown.

Same here. I'd like to fool myself into believing I enjoy the cultural articles or the mayoral candidate profiles or what Jenny Johnson, a passerby, thinks about the hanging plants along Nicollet Mall....but I basically don't. I like to hear what's happening with the new buildings.

Cool feedback. Thanks! Always open to other ideas if you think of any. I'll pass the link to this to Downtown Journal so they know too.

Next article (if they accept it) is on the new principal at IDDS on 10th and Hennepin. I think it's great that we have a multi-district K-12 public school in the downtown community - even if most downtowners don't even know there's a school there. :rolleyes:

Also thinking to write something from the construction worker's perspective ("We Built This City") on all of these buildings going up downtown.

Your "We Built This City" article sounds like it would be really interesting. I'm sure people would like to read it!

Thanks! I was all set to interview the guys outside my window building the Carlysle but then one of them died so I thought I should give it some time. I, too, think it'd be interesting. Maybe they'll let me send a camera up the crane to take a shot from their viewpoint. That'd be sooo cool!

Thanks! I was all set to interview the guys outside my window building the Carlysle but then one of them died so I thought I should give it some time. I, too, think it'd be interesting. Maybe they'll let me send a camera up the crane to take a shot from their viewpoint. That'd be sooo cool!

I think you should re-group and go for it. I've also wondered what they think. Not to judge too harshly, but I always envision those guys to be from Buffalo or way out, and then they come into downtown at the crack of dawn to hammer away at all these condos for the richy-rich "townies", LOL! Catch'em during their coffee breaks, maybe you'd get some really juicy stuff for us here, that you can't print in the Downtowner! BTW, love that paper! I wrote in once with a question, and I got a fast AND informative reply.

Archived