The 'What is Wrong With Michigan' Thread

GaryP

Uhhh, anti-union sentiment is widespread around the country LMichigan, except maybe in Flint, Saginaw and Lansing. And HolidayInnExpress, I have thought about going into business for myself, and even writing an article/book about how the 90's (and still permeates today) "Teamwork" mentality that many corporations have adopted is not really teamwork, and has led to them to become less competitive in the global economy. But that is for another time. But just a thought, have you ever worked on a "team project", where everyone was was given equal share, there was no defined leader, and it actually turned out well (or got finished at all)? :whistling:

I am with Lmichigan in that I am not pro nor anti union, but realize that they are both needed like sunshine and rain is needed for crops. Too much of one or too much of the other is a bad thing...but the absence of one or the absence of the other is equally detrimental to survivability.

I cannot speak intelligently about this

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to hear more about your teamwork philosophy too. Care to share?

Many companies in the 90's, and even more recently, adopted workplace organizational systems that "flattened" the hierarchy, therefore creating what they thought was a better "team" oriented concept. The problems with this, which there are many, is that productivity actually dropped and company morale dropped in these companies (I'm still gathering studies on this). At first glance, it sounds like a great idea: My "boss" (which isn't really my boss) sits by me, there are no corner offices, no multi-level management decisions, no org charts with me at the very bottom ... Wow! This is fantastic! Until issues come up and fires need to be put out. Then there is no accountability, no one to take the heat, and no one to get egg on their face. However, there is no way to feel like you are being promoted at all as an individual, no bonuses, no personal gain, and no added responsibilities (which is more rewarding, IMO).

As my wife explains it oh so elequently (the company she works for is set up that way), when she first started there it was "Wow, there is no hierarchy here! :D ". After she was there about 6 - 8 months, it was "WTF, there is no heirarchy here!!!" <_< (In other words, no one takes any responsibility).

I'm still doing more research on it, but that's a quick synopsis. But that's why I always ask what people mean by "team player", because I won't work for a company set up that way.

Many companies in the 90's, and even more recently, adopted workplace organizational systems that "flattened" the hierarchy, therefore creating what they thought was a better "team" oriented concept. The problems with this, which there are many, is that productivity actually dropped and company morale dropped in these companies (I'm still gathering studies on this). At first glance, it sounds like a great idea: My "boss" (which isn't really my boss) sits by me, there are no corner offices, no multi-level management decisions, no org charts with me at the very bottom ... Wow! This is fantastic! Until issues come up and fires need to be put out. Then there is no accountability, no one to take the heat, and no one to get egg on their face. However, there is no way to feel like you are being promoted at all as an individual, no bonuses, no personal gain, and no added responsibilities (which is more rewarding, IMO).

As my wife explains it oh so elequently (the company she works for is set up that way), when she first started there it was "Wow, there is no hierarchy here! :D ". After she was there about 6 - 8 months, it was "WTF, there is no heirarcy here!!!" <_< (In other words, no one takes any responsibility).

I'm still doing more research on it, but that's a quick synopsis. But that's why I always ask what people mean by "team player", because I won't work for a company set up that way.

I don't understand how this relates to "Unions" :blink:

Ya got me hangin! I don't even remember how I got on the topic :D Oh wait, this topic wasn't necessarily about unions, it was what is wrong with Michigan :huh:

Well that then begs the question of why you feel this "team work" is endemic to Michigan to the degree that it constitutes "Whats wrong with Michigan". If the theory is practiced all over the nation, then maybe its whats wrong the the NATION and only whats wrong with Michigan by virtue of being part of this nation. If that is the case....then its not a competitve disadvantge for Michigan, relative to other states who have the same corporate practices.

Well that then begs the question of why you feel this "team work" is endemic to Michigan to the degree that it constitutes "Whats wrong with Michigan". If the theory is practiced all over the nation, then maybe its whats wrong the the NATION and only whats wrong with Michigan by virtue of being part of this nation. If that is the case....then its not a competitve disadvantge for Michigan, relative to other states who have the same corporate practices.

I don't feel it is a Michigan issue. Somehow the discussion got off track. You guys are welcome to bring the discussion back around, but it's not my cup of tea ;)

Archived