Fallschase Mall?

Florida

It seems the Fallschase Development has new life. A new urbanism concept that once included over 2000 homes and 400,000 sq.ft of retail and commercial space may now look more like half as many homes and twice as much commercial space. 800,000 sq.ft., just slightly smaller than the Tallahassee Mall which is just over 900,000 sq.ft., could be built for the new development.

This means shoppers in East Tallahassee will be able to enjoy a great shopping without having travel far from home, a welcome change to many I'm sure.

The new shopping center is proposed to have a multi screen movie theatre, two anchor stores, dining, and office space as well. Details have not been released to the public. The county commission will determine wether or not this project will move forward. Looks like we have another Southwood on our hands people.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

phonetically... Wow-Zer... just a sound of Aw

It sounds like a lot of comercial development. If The developer builds a governers Sq minus the smaller of the three wings (based on Sq footage) that will be big. Wow Big. TJ, remember the old days when Swift creek was at the end of a road, a dirty, underdeveloped road. Now look at her, gettin her own mall, Bucklack getting widened. wow.

There was nothing wrong with Marsh landing, other than the name. I think the result was nice. I remember passing everyday on our school bus from Pedrick to Walden Road, we'd pass that huge mansion where the goats, cows, and horses grazed. It looks totally different now. Its amazing how much Tallahassee has changed in these few short years.

The new shopping center is proposed to have a multi screen movie theatre, two anchor stores, dining, and office space as well. Details have not been released to the public. The county commission will determine wether or not this project will move forward. Looks like we have another Southwood on our hands people.

So we're talking about a Kohl's, a Dick's, a 14 screen theater, and what else? More importantly, with the big 2 (AMC and Regal) already in town, would one of them build this theater or would another company, like Muvico, come in?

It's great to see progress regarding Fallschase. Like you said, Taurean J, it's going to be great for people who live on that side of town. All of the many people who live off of Bucklake Rd. will benefit. I used to live in a neighborhood off of Baum Rd., and it takes a while to get to the existing shopping center from there. Even Wal-Mart.

WOW! Baum Road! Now thats waaaay out! I went out there once and was surprised to see a commercial building out that far... I think it was a grocery store something like an IGA. Growth is slowly inching out that way. I would like to see see 90 widened from Dempsy Mayo to Walden for smoother and safer flow of traffic. Its a bit dangerous, in my opinion, to have people traveling 60 MPH on a non-divided, 2 lane highway.

DSCF2265.jpg

This capacity should continue all the way to Walden. As far as Buck Lake Road is concerned, I'd like for there to be more than one way to get to the Fallschase community. Maybe there should be a cut thru from Capital Circle Parkway to the back side of the subdivision say using the route we used to take past the Armory.

I don't know why I had a dream that there was a dicks in town.

I think it would be cool to have a nice bowling alley and skating rink in one

Heck, a skating rink with an artificial turf dome attached for indoor soccer and lacrosse would make a killing here. besides, wasn't there an article about another bowling center going in somewhere?

Heck, a skating rink with an artificial turf dome attached for indoor soccer and lacrosse would make a killing here. besides, wasn't there an article about another bowling center going in somewhere?

Yes there was. It was said that the new owners of the Old Winn Dixie on Timbrlane Road would like to open up something similar to what we're discussing. But nothing has been mentioned of it in a while.

I've just read the Fallchase Proposal and it seems developers plan to "waste" a good retail opportunity by building a SUPER WAL-MART as a part of the retail development.

What was once my excitement is now my disgust! We've already got a Wal-Mart in that area, why would he want to build more of the same. When will these people learn that we only shop at Wal-Mart because tha's all they're building (and the 24 hour thing). I really wanted this 3rd mall... looks like Its not going to happen now.

I guess thats one of our anchor stores.

I've just read the Fallchase Proposal and it seems developers plan to "waste" a good retail opportunity by building a SUPER WAL-MART as a part of the retail development.

What was once my excitement is now my disgust! We've already got a Wal-Mart in that area, why would he want to build more of the same. When will these people learn that we only shop at Wal-Mart because tha's all they're building (and the 24 hour thing). I really wanted this 3rd mall... looks like Its not going to happen now.

I guess thats one of our anchor stores.

That probably explains why they added the extra retail space. Walmart Ugh. I don't know about you but I would not want to live near a walmart, so to me putting a walmart near a new housing development is a bad idea.

Even the Wal-Mart out off of Thomasville Road which is a part of the Bull Run development, makes that area look cheap, despite attempts to dress it up. Its hard for me to understand how people are paying the prices they are paying for those homes.

The target doesn't seem to have the same effect. Seems a bit classier out on the corner of Thomasville and Bannerman.

I don't know what it is about a Wal-Mart store, but I just don't like the image they carry.

Hmm... A Wal-Mart would not seem to be in keeping with the rendering I saw of Fallschase in an add in the Tallahassee magazine over a year ago. In order to even come close it would have to look as nice as the one on Thomasville Rd., which in my opinion is as nice a Wal-Mart as has ever been made. Certainly the nicest looking one I've ever seen. I'm also afraid it would be harmful to both the Publix at Lafayette shopping center and the new one out near the interstate.

Question: would it be in Fallschase itself? As it stands now I can't see that entrance being wide enough to support the traffic Wal-Mart would bring. Plus, I believe there's an unused guard station near the entrance, presumable built for a future time when there would be a community to protect.

I've been trying to picture this also. I honestly can't think of turning down Buck Lake road to go to anything commercial. I think of schools and residential use when I think of Buck Lake. They would have to widen that road first, and the Wal-Mart or Anchor store would have to be set back from the road a good bit.

Archived