801 Ionia Renovation

gvsusean

I have access, but when I click on the link, the page can't be found. Guess I'll have to wait for the mail.

Linky works now. (if you have full access)

Here's a small (fair use) taste of the article:

Jack Buchanan, CEO of Blue Bridge Ventures and an original partner in the group that successfully renovated the former factory at 648 Monroe Ave. NW, has moved his development firm a few blocks north to the old Imperial Metals building at 801-803 Ionia Ave. NW.

Buchanan and his brother, local attorney Rob Buchanan, are getting ready to transform the building into an office address. Ironically, Founders was to have shifted its pub and brewery from the Brass Works into 15,000 square feet on the north end of the Metals building. The move would have given Founders owners Mike Stevens and Dave Engbers one-and-a-half times more space than they've had the past 10 years at Brass Works, along with more room to increase their production capacity.

But Jack Buchanan said the U.S. Small Business Administration didn't approve the loan Founders needed to buy their space in Metals, so they decided to continue leasing at Brass Works.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will they have more room available to them in the Brass Works Building?

*I also have to be honest; I am not a fan of some of their beers. Do they brew a real porter or traditional stout?

"artisan" beers...no room for the traditionals here :(

I hope they do find a way to expand production..sounds like they are selling every drop they make and turn away business. I'd be too bad if they weren't able to fully tap (pun not intended) their potential market.

*I also have to be honest; I am not a fan of some of their beers. Do they brew a real porter or traditional stout?

Have you ever tried their porter? It's amazing, pretty faithful to style (American versions of porter, anyways). I'll admit they don't make a "regular" stout, 'tho the Oatmeal stout that's usually on at the pub is killer.

Back to the discussion at hand: I'll see what I can find out firsthand from Mike.

Back to the discussion at hand: I'll see what I can find out firsthand from Mike.

The skinny from Mike Stevens, prez at Founders:

"Yes it's true. We ran into problems...and opted to instead stay put. We leased 6,000 more sq ft behind our loading dock area and plan to move all inventories back there which will free up enough room to almost triple our capacity right here. I have already ordered enough tanks to double our capacity (we will go from 4,000 bbls to 8,000 bbls). The new tanks are being fabricated as we speak and we expect to take delivery in December.

We will also be shutting down the taproom for a few days to do some much needed remodeling. We are expanding the room a bit to create a stage that will be recessed into the bottling room and will utilize this stage as extra seating on off-music nights as well. A fresh coat of paint on everything, expanded kitchen space, more seating & more. Our idea with the kitchen is not to create a restaurant but to offer some munchie-type food at night."

FYI, a barrel is 31.5 gallons, so 8,000 barrel capacity = 252,000 gallons!

• 4 months later...

Founders turns stuggles into expansion

GRAND RAPIDS -- That Dirty beotch.

It's in the tanks, in the bottles, in the kegs, in the loading docks. Lately, it's even in your refrigerator.

The owners of Grand Rapids' Founders Brewing Co. couldn't be happier.

Because that Dirty beotch, along with other rich, dark brews such as Red's Rye, Breakfast Stout and Devil Dancer Triple IPA have helped turn a struggling microbrewery that had flirted with bankruptcy into a profitable, well-respected maker of stouts and ales.

They've just completed their expansion in the Brass Works Building to double their capacity.

• 7 months later...

Here is an interesting article I saw on Mlive this afternoon. The complete article can be read here:

Developer asks city to build parking ramp

Here are some quotes:

"Buchanan is hoping the city will build a parking garage next door to an apartment complex he hopes to build in the North Monroe Business District."

"Buchanan said he hopes to re-develop the former Imperial Metal Products Co. at 801 Ionia Ave. NW by building a 180-unit apartment complex. He's hoping the city will build a parking ramp on part of the 1.5-acre site."

"Buchanan is trying to develop an old industrial site he had hoped to re-develop as a micro-brewery and pub for Founder's Brewery. The brewery decided to relocate to the southwest edge of downtown instead."

"Czanko said they are eager to move ahead on the new project so construction can begin next spring."

This is pretty exciting if both the apartment and hotel get built. These both would be good to have the Street Car moving along too.

Note: if this was discussed already, please feel free to merge the topics.

GRDad, thanks for the correcting the link. You are always watching out for us :P

Rizzo, Glad to hear that it has been approved. I hope the $ is able to come through.

Here is a map. Best I could do on short notice. Yellow is the proposed apartments and the green is the proposed hotel.

post-6831-1189718680_thumb.jpg

GRDad, thanks for the correcting the link. You are always watching out for us :P

Rizzo, Glad to hear that it has been approved. I hope the $ is able to come through.

Here is a map. Best I could do on short notice. Yellow is the proposed apartments and the green is the proposed hotel.

Wow, closer than I thought. If they want a ramp built on part of the site, and are planning on 180 units, they must be looking at a pretty good height (15 - 20 floors). Are they going to go UP from the current building, or tear it down and start from scratch? Where is Chris Knape with the background info? ;)

Archived