Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Wow, this place has really been dead lately. What's with Greenville's forum being so active and then all of the sudden NOT!?

Oh well, who knows. When I was downtown the other day with my camera, I saw the old Coca-Cola building. Bob Jones or whoever has been restoring it has done a GREAT job. Looks awesome. Here's a picture: greenville10-17-05024.jpg

Yeah same here. Spending about 30 minutes every night reading UP is sort of my reward after a long day of classes and studying. But sometimes I don't have as much time to respond to posts. I also think that slow news days for Greenville makes for fewer posts.

Regardless, this forum rocks. I feel like I know a lot of you guys, and I think it's great when we get new members who are enthusiastic and quickly become addicted to UP. :)

Anybody know where I could score a couple of good carving pumpkins this late in the game? I was out of town during peak time and my wife had her hands full, so we're in need. :huh:

Country Boys?

Any pumpkin patches around town?

I'm not sure how stocked they are, but there was a small tent next to Country Boys on Woodruff Rd. I'd hate to see you come all the way down here for nothing though.

Thanks, y'all! We usually go to Beachwood Farms; however, I seriously doubt they have any left this year. We may check it out anyway. There's a Country Boys on Wade Hampton that we can check out, too. And St. Matthew's is a good suggestion, too. I'm sure we'll find some somewhere. Wish us luck! :lol:

Note: I posted this in the "Rails to Trails" thread over in the Upstate SC Metros Parent Thread; however, to make sure it gets maximum attention from those interested specifically in Greenville, I'm posting it here as well.

Rails to Trails Needs Public Support to Survive

The Rails to Trails project for Northern Greenville County is in need of your help.

Upstate communities and organizations were brought together this past summer, as this thread chronicles, to clear the stretch of the old Swamp Rabbit railway from Travelers Rest to down below Furman University., in hopes of paving the way for a future permanent trail for hikers, walkers, and bikers.

Keeping these trails dedicated to this purpose will require the voice, pen, and support of all trail supporters and enthusiasts.

Why? Because there are now two separate bids to purchase this right-of-way by corporations (Western Carolina Railroad Service and Athens Line, LLC) propsing to reactivate the rail line for commercial and industrial rail use.

The fate of these trails and their use will ultimately be decided by the Federal Surface Transportatio Board in Washington, DC.

Please, if you support the effort to convert this rail line (and rail lines such as this), write a letter of support, specifically identifying your support for the North Greenville County, South Carolina Rails to Trails project.

Address the letter to:

Mr. Vernon A. Williams

Secretary, Surface Transportation Board

1925 K Street, NW

Suite 700

Washington, DC 20423-0001

Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and support.

-the Rested Traveler

Got a question for y'all... Has the city started taking down trees on Main Street yet? I remember hearing about the problems with lack of space and such that was killing the trees and so they were going to phase out a few trees at a time and replant them... just wondering if anyone has seen any of this taking place or if something has changed...

They did take a few out next to the Peace Center a couple of months ago, but I don't know if it was part of that plan or not. The only place I can see the need to replant trees on Main Street is next to the Piazza Bergamo, where the only kind of tree is Bradford Pear trees. These have a history of being weak and splitting because they grow so fast.

They did take a few out next to the Peace Center a couple of months ago, but I don't know if it was part of that plan or not. The only place I can see the need to replant trees on Main Street is next to the Piazza Bergamo, where the only kind of tree is Bradford Pear trees. These have a history of being weak and splitting because they grow so fast.

I definitely think that a lot of the oak trees along main need to be replaced. They are slowing dying and becoming more frail because of a lack of space to spead their roots. Some are displacing the sidewalks and others are filling every inch of the opening they have in the concrete. They produce a lot of maintinence work for trimming them to get rid of dead branches. ..

• 2 weeks later...

This is as off-topic as it gets, forgive me! But I'm sure you guys know the answer....I've seen so many bumper stickers on cars around town that say "Go Preston!" or "Zachary Fight the Fight"

What on Earth do they mean?

"Go Preston" is for Preston Reid. He has been a very active figure in Greenville High School for 20+ years and now has cancer. He is particularly associated with basically running the GHS Booster Club for many, many years. He and his wife Susan sent 5 boys through GHS.

This place really has been dead lately.

It comes and it goes. I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen Skyliner around lately. I wonder if there's a connection :ph34r:

Keep in mind that 'dead' in this particular subforum is still pretty darn active when compared to other places!