Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

This place really has been dead lately.

I've been under the weather and battling a steep workload, too - so I've been more or less "quiet." :(

By the way, on this Veteran's Day, I'd like to say thanks to all who have served or are currently serving our country :thumbsup:

If it weren't for you, this forum and other vehicles of free speech might not exist.

Amen!

I haven't exited off onto Laurens Road/Stone Avenue since they've opened the overpass back up, so I haven't noticed. I do recall them painting it though, and I thought that it was the same standard green that they've used on all of overpasses along the newly finished parts of I-385...or so I thought. I'm unsure now. :unsure:

Have they painted it again with the green that's on the bridge railings on Church and Academy? I'll have to check it out the next time I go that way.

This is so random, but something reminded me of it and it always bugs me... I'm sure one of you know! :thumbsup:

Why is North Main always closed (between East North Street and College/Beattie Street???) on the weekends atleast, maybe nightly, I dont know. But I've always wondered and never could figure out why. I know someone knows... so thanks in advance.

It's only closed off on Thursday and Friday evenings during the summer, as far as I know. This is done for Downtown Alive (on Thursdays) and Main Street Jazz (on Fridays).

If you see that part of Main Street closed off at any other time of the year, it must be for some other reason not related to these two.

Changing the subject...after all this is the OT thread :D

I'll be taking my wife up to Asheville for her birthday just before Christmas. We are spending the first day visiting the Biltmore. I have reservations for dinner, Candlelight Christmas, and we are spending the night at the Inn. I've never spent any time in Asheville before, and the next day, if we have seen enough of the Biltmore, I'm interested in seeing the downtown area.

Any must-do's? Good lunch restaurants? Interesting attractions?

BTW, How long is a reasonable amount of time at the Biltmore.

This isn't exactly downtown, but I'd highly recommend taking in the National Ginger Bread House Competition and Display and making reservations for lunch or dinner at the Grove Park Inn as well. You'll not regret it! :thumbsup:

The Grove Arcade downtown is pretty cool, too, as are the shops along Wall Street (look for the very large sculpture of an Iron (no Ironing board though)).

Edited by RestedTraveler

Agree with RT about Wall Street and Grove Arcade. Also check out, I believe it's Walnut Street....intersects with Broadway right around the Mellow Mushroom. Some neat local shops in this area, and with the streets following the hills, feels very urban and dense, ahla San Fran.

There's a great Mexican place with kick ass rita's on Patton right before Pack Square....I think it's called Cancun....maybe....not sure.

Any must-do's? Good lunch restaurants? Interesting attractions?

Save room for dessert from, I believe its called, "Old Europe" a downtown shabby cafe across the street from a new condo project...I wish I were better at remembering street names, but "downtown" is small and you can't miss it. They have mile-high cakes that you could almost make a meal of.