Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Have you guys noticed all of the new condo developments going up lately; not just here in Greenville but in a lot of other cities too.
I was in Chicago last month and all the new downtown development are condo building. Urban lifestyle seem to be the new driving force for downtown development nationwide( as opposed to corporate towers).

My wife just returned home from Earth Fare on Augusta Road. She tells me that at 6:00pm this evening they shut their doors for the last time. They're consolodating with the Earth Fare on Pelham. Evidently there's another health food store of some sort going in their location to replace them. I'm bummed. :cry:

I didn't know that they were planning on closing the Augusta EarthFare. That is indeed a loss, but with our natural food grocers already being strong, and getting stronger with Whole Foods and a second Fresh Market, this move by Earth Fare seemed inevitable. And besides, their store on Pelham is wonderful and it does really good business from what I've seen and heard.

I think a small urban natural foods market downtown would do well in the West End or downtown, especially as more people continue to move there. Perhaps it's a little too early for that, but in 3-5 years it would definitely be a good move for someone like Earth Fare or Whole Foods. :)

Edited by Greenville

Hopefully VERY soon! I want to see The Camperdown fill up within half a year at most, Pinnacle on Main within a few months, The Terrace at RiverPlace within a year, and The Fieldhouse within six months after opening. Other residential developments need to be strong as well, because this is what many of our developers of the large projects on the list are watching most; Who will move into downtown for the vibrant and romantic atmosphere, the entertainment, the close proximity to work, or even just the status symbol? With these numbers on the rise, area businesses will begin thinking seriously about relocating themselves, and then the ball will start to tumble downhill, gaining speed every year. :D

My wife just returned home from Earth Fare on Augusta Road. She tells me that at 6:00pm this evening they shut their doors for the last time. They're consolodating with the Earth Fare on Pelham. Evidently there's another health food store of some sort going in their location to replace them. I'm bummed. :cry:

Did they say who was replacing them? Could be somebody pretty good!

Did they say who was replacing them? Could be somebody pretty good!

That was the first question I asked her when she broke the news to me. They didn't tell her who it was. They only said that another "health food store" was taking their place. As long as it's not Garner's...I'm anti-credit-card and pro-ATM and Garner's doesn't allow you to use just a plain old ATM (i.e one that's not backed by a major credit card). :wacko:

I just rec'd the following email from Earthfare Corporate:

Earth Fare Consolidates Greenville Operations into Pelham Location

Asheville, N.C., January 17, 2006-Asheville-based Earth Fare, the healthy supermarket, announced the sale of the Earth Fare market located at # 6 Lewis Plaza in Greenville, SC so that it can focus its efforts in Greenville on serving the customer base through its much larger Pelham Road location.

Hmmm.... from a health food store to a low-carb products store. I thought the Atkins movement died when he did (sorry, that sounded awful)....

Hopefully it won't be quite as bad as their website looks...

I don't think thats the website for the store. It's just a link I found. If you notice, that's a brand that the store owns. The store's logo in the bottom left of the page looks pretty nice. I'm in Charlotte tomorrow. I'll check the one out there on Fairview.

A&S at Lewis Plaza is already open! It didn't take very long. :lol:

20060121043.jpg

The produce department is still very much stocked full (I suspect A&S bought the produce from Earthfare). Other than that, the shelves are bare throughout. They said they plan to have everything open full-tilt by next week.

There is a $15/year membership that can be purchased which will provide certain discounts throughout the year. However, non-members are still free to purchase too.

It should be pretty interesting.

Does anybody know what this 2000 sq. ft. banner is that Liberty Property Trust is planning to hang on the Liberty Parking Garage?

Date: January 23, 2006

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, February 2, 2006, at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications. (Note: Items are listed in the order they will appear on the agenda.)

CA 05-146. A request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to install a 2000 square foot banner on the Liberty Place parking garage at 65 Beattie Place, in the Central Business District. The applicant is Bogue Wallin of Liberty Property Trust.

While I was back in town friday for a few hours, I drove down Wooduff and then down 85. All of the construction and development was awesome. The, what I'm assuming is, Hilton Garden Inn is coming right along and rising form the ground, as well has Hubbell, and Clemson's area of ICAR. It was awesome to witness and I seriously was left with quite an impression. Just being gone for a month and it feels like it's changed so much. I'm sure any visitors were impressed. It made me wish that SC had liscense plates with County names so that I could show that 'yea, i'm from here!' :lol:

While I was back in town friday for a few hours, I drove down Wooduff and then down 85. All of the construction and development was awesome. The, what I'm assuming is, Hilton Garden Inn is coming right along and rising form the ground, as well has Hubbell, and Clemson's area of ICAR. It was awesome to witness and I seriously was left with quite an impression. Just being gone for a month and it feels like it's changed so much. I'm sure any visitors were impressed. It made me wish that SC had liscense plates with County names so that I could show that 'yea, i'm from here!' :lol:

If your thinking that the one that is being built with the big yellow crane is the Hilton Garden Inn, it's not. It is actually the Drury Inn and Suites. What is the building that is almost finished next too it going to be?

Edited by g-man430