Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

What is the building that is almost finished next too it going to be?

There are two buildings near the Drury Inn & Suites that are nearly finished: 1) Thomasville Furniture and 2) Drexel Heritage Furniture. The Hilton Garden Inn will, I believe, go between these and the Drury Inn & Suites. I posted a photo of the Drury Inn construction over on the construction thread.

There's some work being done on the property behind Sticky Fingers on the other end. Does anybody know what's going in there? I presume it's another restaurant.

This isn't where O'Charley's was going to go though. O'Charley's was going to be right up next to Woodruff Road on Market Point Drive, directly across Market Point Drive from Bob Evans at 4 Market Point Drive. This is set back further on Market Point Drive a bit, behind Sticky Fingers, at 5 Market Point Drive. The property is currently owned by "BF-GVL LLC," whomever that is.

That O'Charley's deal fell through anyway, as I understand it, since O'Charley's has since sold that property to someone else.

I went down 385 this afternoon and man was it busy! Any I couldnt help but notice how dense Greenville feels when you leave downtown via 385. Ok, so you leave downtown...:

-There's Overbrook neighborhood on the left, offices on the right, and straight ahead through the trees is Acadia Hills--which by the way, from the interstate LOOKS really nice.

-Then you come to the airport on your right and Crosswinds golf course on the left, which past it you can see the Summit on Pelham or whatever...

-To the left then is the Plantation on Pelham, which is dense in itself, and there soon (hopefully) will be Villagio Verde, which will also be very dense. And to the right are offices. Haywood Rd is right there and to the left is the Hilton and such... WELCOME to "Midtown Greenville"!

-Then to the left after Haywood is apartments, while to the right is the Mall.

-Patewood Medical Campus to the left, Congaree Rd developments to the right.

-Offices to the left and to the right you end up with the Greenville Mall after the Crown Plaza....

I was just really impressed. Maybe it's because the trees have lost their leaves, but I'd never really noticed before.

That is definitely a nice stretch of interstate, GvilleSC! I especially like it at night when you can see all of the lights. Greenville's midtown is really starting to fill in nicely.

It will be exciting to see how it develops over the next 5-10 years, especially with the Expo Center/Pleasantburg master plan going into effect. That will really bridge the gap between downtown and midtown. :thumbsup:

I wonder what the feasibility would be of the Hilton moving into a new building downtown and it's current building being gutted and made into offices.

As it stands now, the Hilton is rather isolated. That area is more of a commercial/office corridor than a lodging exit. Downtown is starting to get a cluster of hotels and adding Hilton would be a huge boost.

For this to come about, it would likely require a major corporate HQ relocation by a company moving to Greenville. That hasn't happened in awhile, but maybe we are due for one.

The building's exterior actually LOOKS more corporate than lodging already. There are no balconies, etc. The main criteria as to whether this might work is how would the cost of the gut and retrofit compare to totally new construction. Hilton would probably have to sell the building at somewhat of a discount. But, they might be willing to do that, if they had a prime site downtown and could build everything new and modern at that location. I know their occupancy has been rather low in the past, but I don't know if that was more 9/11 related or just the function of a less-than excellent location.

The reason I say less-than-excellent is it isn't downtown [thus farther from Peace & Bi-Lo Centers, DT businesses etc than the competiton Westin and Hyatt] but it isn't near the airport or directly on I-85 either.

Any info., thoughts on this?

Last time I was over there (in late November), I was told they have been doing very well.

As for new corporate HQ moving to Greenville recently, Hubbell Lighting was one of the best announcements to come on that subject in many years. If more local and state businesses would realize their potential by moving downtown, we'd likely experience a higher level of investment in the CBD's highrise real estate market.

Another type of development I like to see is what Carolina First did by expanding into the Poinsett Plaza office tower several years ago.

So it is clear there is interest for such events to happen, but more of the same mindset is needed to make swifter progress along this line. It will be very interesting to see what impact the new residential surge will have on the whole CBD. Combined with the City's efforts to increase pedestrian activity, and the growing number of visitors realizing Greenville for the first time, this should take us to the next level of urban prosperity. :shades:

Just some questions for you guys:

*Has anyone found out what the banner is that will be on the Liberty Square Parking Garage or is it up?

*How close is the North Main Street streetscaping to being done?

Yesterday the DPC approved the banner on the side of the Liberty Square Parking Garage. It is to be a piece of public art with a 'Liberty' theme. The final design is yet to be determined and still must be approved by the DPC.

Yesterday the DPC approved the banner on the side of the Liberty Square Parking Garage. It is to be a piece of public art with a 'Liberty' theme. The final design is yet to be determined and still must be approved by the DPC.

Thanks! That sounds good to me. I'm with Skyliner though...are they accepting ideas or do they already have some, I wonder?

I wonder what the feasibility would be of the Hilton moving into a new building downtown and it's current building being gutted and made into offices.

As it stands now, the Hilton is rather isolated. That area is more of a commercial/office corridor than a lodging exit. Downtown is starting to get a cluster of hotels and adding Hilton would be a huge boost.

For this to come about, it would likely require a major corporate HQ relocation by a company moving to Greenville. That hasn't happened in awhile, but maybe we are due for one.

The building's exterior actually LOOKS more corporate than lodging already. There are no balconies, etc. The main criteria as to whether this might work is how would the cost of the gut and retrofit compare to totally new construction. Hilton would probably have to sell the building at somewhat of a discount. But, they might be willing to do that, if they had a prime site downtown and could build everything new and modern at that location. I know their occupancy has been rather low in the past, but I don't know if that was more 9/11 related or just the function of a less-than excellent location.

The reason I say less-than-excellent is it isn't downtown [thus farther from Peace & Bi-Lo Centers, DT businesses etc than the competiton Westin and Hyatt] but it isn't near the airport or directly on I-85 either.

Any info., thoughts on this?

I really like this idea, vicupstate. I would not be surprised if Hilton at least considered the feasibility of this idea at some point. That is especially true since Hiltons often choose to locate in downtown areas (although I'm sure Greenville's downtown was a very undesirable place to be when Hilton arrived in Greenville).

I am thinking that the Hilton was remodeled within the last few years. Does anyone else remember that? If so, I wonder how quick they would be to leave that building and move downtown? The good thing is that they would almost certainly build a new highrise downtown that is not currently planned. That would be exciting, as would more hotel space downtown. :thumbsup:

I think the space at Main and McBee would be PERFECT for a 15-20 story Hilton.

Why not condos? The view of the CBD skyline from there is outstanding! I'm sure balconies can be added to make it more residential and less corporate in appearance. :lol:

Why not condos? The view of the CBD skyline from there is outstanding! I'm sure balconies can be added to make it more residential and less corporate in appearance. :lol:

I like that idea! More residential in the city limits and make Midtown more of a lifestyle place/village... Hmm, but we all know that more people on Haywood is all we need! :lol:

I really like this idea, vicupstate. I would not be surprised if Hilton at least considered the feasibility of this idea at some point. That is especially true since Hiltons often choose to locate in downtown areas (although I'm sure Greenville's downtown was a very undesirable place to be when Hilton arrived in Greenville).

I am thinking that the Hilton was remodeled within the last few years. Does anyone else remember that? If so, I wonder how quick they would be to leave that building and move downtown? The good thing is that they would almost certainly build a new highrise downtown that is not currently planned. That would be exciting, as would more hotel space downtown. :thumbsup:

I think the space at Main and McBee would be PERFECT for a 15-20 story Hilton.

Yes, the Hilton was remodeled extensively just a few years ago and the rooms are very nice. I stayed there for a week while my house was being painted. Great interior! I think they do pretty well in that location and can't see them moving. Nice to have a top notch hotel in the midtown/Haywood area.

While driving through Atlanta today, I was wondering, do most travelers know exactly where Greenville is? I mean, all signs for I-85 north throughout Atlanta point to Greenville. One of my fraternity brothers, who lives in Mobile, actually thought that the Greenville referenced was in NC. But I did notice that a few of the signs, smaller markers at ground level at a few intersections, have "Greenville, SC" as opposed to just "Greenville."

While driving through Atlanta today, I was wondering, do most travelers know exactly where Greenville is? I mean, all signs for I-85 north throughout Atlanta point to Greenville. One of my fraternity brothers, who lives in Mobile, actually thought that the Greenville referenced was in NC. But I did notice that a few of the signs, smaller markers at ground level at a few intersections, have "Greenville, SC" as opposed to just "Greenville."

I have kind of wondered the same thing. It's definitely some GREAT exposure! whether they know where it is or not... they'll find out at some point during their lifetime :lol: