Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Most people in Atlanta know where Greenville is and that it is in South Carolina. For many years we had the AA affiliate of the Atlanta Braves and most of their greatest players through the nineties to now have come through here. ;)

Many people live in the Upstate and commute to Atlanta for work as well. And on any given day, you'll see more licence plates from Atlanta metro than any other state (excluding SC, of course).

I know that Atlanta isn't located that far away from the Upstate, but to commute for work on a daily basis is a bit TOO much for me. I even think Suwanee and Braselton are too far out and those towns are located in the same state (Suwanee is in Gwinnett County, Braselton in Jackson County).

I'm not so sure. Atlanta is full of a lot of transplants these days (who usually know next to nothing about neighboring cities), so if they don't actually drive up I-85 through Greenville, they probably wouldn't know. Some do know about the city and its location, but I don't think the majority do. I could be wrong though (I hope I am).

krazeeboi, you are definitely wrong about the majority not knowing about Greenville, and I think you're "krazee" for even mentioning it. I have family living there and visit myself very often and never run into someone who doesn't know where Greenville is. I can understand the new people coming into the city from far off places, but the relationship between the two is set in stone for the vast majority. :)

Am I really "krazee" for mentioning it? I thought it was a legitimate comment.

Maybe I'll test my theory out by asking some folks about Greenville next time I'm down there (and not folks from the Carolinas either, since they're bound to know). Like I said, perhaps I am off on this one, but it was just a thought.

In most cases - the comments are correct, Atlantans are generally aware of Greenville - it's on I-85 on your way to a business meeting in Charlotte! But some would be surprised by all the carpetbaggers that have moved into the northern suburbs of Atlanta

They know of just a few things in their community:

'Atlanta' - which starts in Buckhead & goes north to the mountains

'Old Atlanta' - the 'old' city that has been converted into boutiques

'Down there' - or known as the ghetto

Otherwise in the south they know I-85 takes them to Charlotte & further north to their hometown & I-75 takes them to Florida. Elsewhere it is a huge vacuam that they are afraid to venture in.

I sound ridicolous, but you would be amazed...

But native Atlantans & other southern-transplants know about Greenville. Especially since so many ex-SC residents live here, I work with 4 other people from the Upstate area.

Edited by teshadoh

I guess "off topic" is the place for this. Does anybody know what person or company designed the Greenville cities "g" logo with the tail of the g being the Reedy? This has got to be the best city logo I've ever seen! And the fact that Greenville is consistent with color and use of this logo, drives home a very branded theme. Kudos to the firm or person who designed this! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see it on a lot more street signs throughout the city. :thumbsup: I would especially love to see it back-lit on some of those lighted signs. It's an extremely tasteful logo. Heck, it'd be nice to see it incorporated into the P.D. and F.D. on their vehicles and paint jobs somehow. That'd be pretty unique.

I'd love to see it on a lot more street signs throughout the city. :thumbsup: I would especially love to see it back-lit on some of those lighted signs. It's an extremely tasteful logo. Heck, it'd be nice to see it incorporated into the P.D. and F.D. on their vehicles and paint jobs somehow. That'd be pretty unique.

Agreed! :thumbsup: I hope this logo figures prominently into the plan for the I-85/I-385 interchange landscaping / welcome project.

While driving through Atlanta today, I was wondering, do most travelers know exactly where Greenville is? I mean, all signs for I-85 north throughout Atlanta point to Greenville. One of my fraternity brothers, who lives in Mobile, actually thought that the Greenville referenced was in NC. But I did notice that a few of the signs, smaller markers at ground level at a few intersections, have "Greenville, SC" as opposed to just "Greenville."

I think this example is an anomaly. Our Greenville is a much larger place, and certainly more influential. Greenville, NC is home to Eastern Carolina, but other than that, what is there? Not much. I have heard that town can be rather dismal. I've not been, so I cant say for sure. Plus there is no need to bash that other Greenville. Many people don't know where cities are unless they are very large, and even then it is scary how many people don't know basic American geography. I met someone once who didn't know where Oregon was. So its not suprising to me that someone from southern Alabama doesn't know where we are. I'm making some generalizations here... I'm not trying to insult your friend or anything krazee :thumbsup:

1. I hope there is a plan in place to rebuild that interchange
  2. Whatever they do to beautify this "outer" gateway to Greenville better be as World-class as anything in the state - and YES, it should include the City logo and our new motto, "The can-do Capital of the World!" :D

Definitely! :thumbsup:

Anybody ever notice that the city logo is on bottles of water from the Palmetto Expo Center? Seriously! :lol:

I saw one while I was at the photo shoot for the Drive's Ad. Campaign this afternoon. I thought that was a cool place to see the logo - on a bottle of water. Greenville has some branding opportunities with this water throughout the city, methinks. I can see bottles of Greenville Water being sold out of carts at Falls Park, the Greenville Zoo, Downtown at Piazza Bergamo, etc..

Anybody ever notice that the city logo is on bottles of water from the Palmetto Expo Center? Seriously! :lol:

I saw one while I was at the photo shoot for the Drive's Ad. Campaign this afternoon. I thought that was a cool place to see the logo - on a bottle of water. Greenville has some branding opportunities with this water throughout the city, methinks. I can see bottles of Greenville Water being sold out of carts at Falls Park, the Greenville Zoo, Downtown at Piazza Bergamo, etc..

Great marketing idea! I think there's lots of opportunity for this logo! :thumbsup:

I was watching the Clemson vs. Maryland basketball game tonight, and as I was watching the commerical for Clemson University I noticed that it was a new one. It talked about Clemson medical research, and also about ICAR. And guess what? It briefly showed the Greenville skyline at the end!

I tried to find the video online but couldn't. I will post it here if I am ever able to find it.

Edited by Greenville