Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Definitely lots of good stuff! I'll be interested to learn more on the trolley service expansion outside of downtown. i think Greenille is investing in the right things at the moment-- particularly the new park, and expanded trail system.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if you all are familiar with Airbnb, but I've been excited to see the offerings in Greenville grow over the last few years as this has quickly become my preferred way of exploring new cities. Lately I've heard a few rumors that Greenville Airbnbs are getting shut down.

Was hoping someone on here knows more info or can explain the issues with renting out your personal property. Is this a zoning thing? Something about competing with hotels? I'm sad to hear Greenville might not be Airbnb friendly. Anyone else heard about this?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to post this here. Would be amazing to land this:

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/report-south-carolina-among-states-chasing--job-auto-plant/article_a4e5b340-7d34-11e7-91b2-f72a89a1559b.html

However; very unlikely the Upstate has a shot at getting this unless there's a sizable chunk of land somewhere I'm not aware of. I think Volvo snapped up the last megaparcel the state could put together.

(As an aside..how do y'all make your links shorter?)

Would be nice but lots of competition just for the state itself, let alone the upstate. Does seem like it's been a long time since the upstate has had a big score like this whereas Chas and Midlands have had some recent ones. Not sure where it could go either, but I remember Anderson county had a spot they were trying to sell Rolls Royce on a few years ago. 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:37 AM, distortedlogic said:

Would be nice but lots of competition just for the state itself, let alone the upstate. Does seem like it's been a long time since the upstate has had a big score like this whereas Chas and Midlands have had some recent ones. Not sure where it could go either, but I remember Anderson county had a spot they were trying to sell Rolls Royce on a few years ago. 

In that vein if the Upstate were not to get the factory, hopefully it would be close enough to get some supply chain spillover. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Den2Gvl said:

It has? I don't see that it's been updated... maybe I'm not looking at the right thing. 

It's updated on my cell phone on the google maps app but not on their regular website on my computer. Odd. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

An article from 1996 highlighting Downtown Greenville’s efforts to reinvent itself. I love reading old articles like these because when we’re mentioned in articles today, they always make it seem like things began to improve in the late 2000’s during the recession instead of decades ago.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1996-09-22-3099739-story.html

A few highlights:

“Since the early 1980s when those two steps took place, eight major office buildings have been built downtown and more than 40 restaurants and bars have opened. Also, a $42 million arts center was developed.”

“Hunter's firm came up with the idea for anchor projects at both ends of Main Street, including Greenville Commons, and the beautification of Main Street.”

“Greenville Commons, they hoped, would become a focal point for center city. And because of the project's magnitude, covering 4 acres and costing $34 million, it would give private investors faith that a city of only 60,000 people could do things on a grand scale.”

“The latest projects include the Peace Center for the Performing Arts, anchoring the south end of Main Street five blocks from Greenville Commons, and the $63 million BiLo Arena, a 17,000-seat center. The Peace Center opened in 1990. Earth-moving is under way for the arena.”

Edited by GVLover

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody attend the Greenville Christmas Parade tonight? It seemed a little off. It ended at 6:38 where I was standing. I have  NEVER seen the parade go less than an hour, and sometimes it's gone well over an hour. In addition, Santa came down a different street than the rest of the parade and everyone in my area was looking around like "what happened, is that it?" It kinda reminded me of the reaction the year the July 4th fireworks ended after a few minutes without a finale. 

• 2 months later...

A quiz for you old-timers.

I was driving back from visiting my daughter in GA, and I pulled off at the Jefferson, GA exit (US 129/GA 11) and noticed the building pictured below.

I was surprised to see that this building still existed because it's almost 50 years old and it's twin in Anderson at 85 and 76--just on the left, kind of on a hill, as you head toward Anderson on 76--was torn down a long time ago.

So the quiz is: what business establishment originally occupied both buildings?

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 9.18.52 AM.png

11 hours ago, Exile said:

A quiz for you old-timers.

I was driving back from visiting my daughter in GA, and I pulled off at the Jefferson, GA exit (US 129/GA 11) and noticed the building pictured below.

I was surprised to see that this building still existed because it's almost 50 years old and it's twin in Anderson at 85 and 76--just on the left, kind of on a hill, as you head toward Anderson on 76--was torn down a long time ago.

So the quiz is: what business establishment originally occupied both buildings?

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 9.18.52 AM.png

Katherine's Kitchen  Restaurants . They sold these huge ham (sausage,steak ) biscuits that came in a  box. Delicious. Popular spots for fans  to pick up food for tailgating for both Clemson and  UGA  football games for years.  Packed  on  game day.   The  Anderson one had a small boat dock where you could drive the boat up also. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Katherine's Kitchen  Restaurants . They sold these huge ham (sausage,steak ) biscuits that came in a  box. Delicious. Popular spots for fans  to pick up food for tailgating for both Clemson and  UGA  football games for years.  Packed  on  game day.   The  Anderson one had a small boat dock where you could drive the boat up also. 

And we have a winner!

Don't ask me what you won...

We used to stop there on the way to the lake, too. Anderson and Jefferson were the only locations I knew of. Don't know if there were any others elsewhere.

Nostalgia.

• 2 weeks later...

Had no clue this was even happening:

The SEC Tournament kicks off down in Greenville, SC this coming Tuesday, March 4th with the bottom four teams essentially fighting through the “play-in” round. The second round will kick off on Thursday where Kentucky will find out their quarterfinals opponent. The ‘Cats will either take on Ole Miss, Missouri, or Tennessee; UK is 3-0 against those three this season. The Rebels and Tigers will play on Tuesday with the winner taking on the Vols the next day.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/uk-hoops-has-secured-a-double-bye-in-sec-tournament/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...