Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

My wife and I were watching Blue Bloods this evening, specifically Season 10, Episode 11 "Careful What You Wish For." About halfway through, there was a 3-5 second shot of the Old Chamber of Commerce Building, tilting up from street level to the top of the building. It was definitely that building, because you can see Soby's building over to the right.

For all I know, the shot could be stock footage from Leatherheads or Bstrd Out of Carolina, but, whatever the case, I find it interesting that a show that's set and filmed in Manhattan saw fit to use Greenville footage as a scene transition.

Does Greenville still serve as a filming location on occasion (ergo "fresh" footage), or was this likely just really old footage?

Edited by Exile
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following up my Blue Bloods comment. I'm watching "Last Ship," which has long been recommended to me, but never got around to watching until now. Early on in the pilot episode, there's a  transitional aerial shot of the Navy base at Norfolk, complete with pretty obviously desert mountains decorating the background!

I guess they'll use whatever footage is on hand to get from one scene to the next.

• 1 month later...

This seems to be a common theme in several cities in the Carolinas:

“Greenville is amazing,” Kathy says. “Coming from the North, where every day somebody’s leaving, somebody’s closing. It’s a huge transition to come to a city where things are booming. Jobs are available. People are moving here.”

Source

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know why SunTrust (Truist) vacated their McBee Avenue/Spring/Court location?  All signage is gone, and no relocation info for customers is posted, unless I missed it.  Their  ATM was the most convenient.  Have they consolidated into the Wells Fargo Center office building?  Do/Will they still operate a downtown branch?

13 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

Anyone know why SunTrust (Truist) vacated their McBee Avenue/Spring/Court location?  All signage is gone, and no relocation info for customers is posted, unless I missed it.  Their  ATM was the most convenient.  Have they consolidated into the Wells Fargo Center office building?  Do/Will they still operate a downtown branch?

A lot of banks are downsizing their physical locations due to Covid and this great invention called the internet. 

Can’t edit my posts on the updated website. Ugh. Anyways, Truist’s website directs Suntrust customers to use the BB&T branches at ONE and next to Canvas. I guess Suntrust’s customers can use that branch seeing how they’re all under one umbrella now. 

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

A lot of banks are downsizing their physical locations due to Covid and this great invention called the internet. 

Can’t edit my posts on the updated website. Ugh. Anyways, Truist’s website directs Suntrust customers to use the BB&T branches at ONE and next to Canvas. I guess Suntrust’s customers can use that branch seeing how they’re all under one umbrella now. 

The Truist merger included SunTrust and BB&T (not Wells Fargo).  I knew that pre-pandemic, but forgot it along with many other details.  Regardless, this change is a disappointment.  They may lose loyal customers who rarely walk along Main Street.  Canvas may work for some, but it sits in an awkward (and heavily travelled) location.

Edited by Skyliner

Was in DT Asheville today for the first time in a number of years. One thing that struck me was that DT Asheville feels MUCH smaller than DT Greenville, especially with all the expansion of DT G the past decade.  Granted, I did not go on a comprehensive tour, but that really jumped out at me, where it did not in the past. 

49 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Google satellite imagery has been updated from BMW all the way south through Five Forks, Mauldin, and Simpsonville down to Fountain Inn. The amount of under construction development especially new subdivisions you can see is insane. 

Maybe we will get a DT refresh soon.  I am still seeing an empty slab where the Camperdown is.   Must be two years old, maybe more. 

19 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Was in DT Asheville today for the first time in a number of years. One thing that struck me was that DT Asheville feels MUCH smaller than DT Greenville, especially with all the expansion of DT G the past decade.  Granted, I did not go on a comprehensive tour, but that really jumped out at me, where it did not in the past. 

And yet, downtown Asheville is much better by comparison if you factor the extensive street-level design and density of retail real estate (at least pre-COVID-19).  Downtown Greenville has a top-notch Main Street and an incredibly attractive urban park/trail system, plus small clusters of attractive retail nearby on Washington and Augusta, but very little retail cohesiveness if you leave the main corridors.  Greenville is not a place you want to walk all over as a guest, unlike Asheville, which seems to offer numerous points of interest in several different directions and on several different streets.  I prefer Greenville overall, but not the layout/arrangement of retail in downtown (minus Main Street and a portion of Augusta Street).  Stone Avenue (including part of Laurens Road) has serious potential to become a more attractive retail corridor, but seems a little car-centric with nice places scattered in various locations that lack cohesiveness.

• 4 months later...

Sheesh, when is Google Maps going to update satellite imagery of Greenville? Looks like Camperdown garage is still under construction in most recent imagery. I almost just wish they'd update whenever Unity is finished at this point but it is still amazing how it hasn't been updated in years. 

• Like 1

If Greenville is leaning into this "From Here You Can Change The World" campaign, I think we should be leaning into the people that are from here because some are truly life changing such as:

*Charles Townes, co-created the laser

*Thomas Goldsmith, co-created the world's first 'video game'

*Jeese Jackson, arguably the first major African-American candidate and of course a civil rights leader

• Like 4

On 9/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, GVLover said:

Sheesh, when is Google Maps going to update satellite imagery of Greenville? Looks like Camperdown garage is still under construction in most recent imagery. I almost just wish they'd update whenever Unity is finished at this point but it is still amazing how it hasn't been updated in years. 

Seems as if some "street view" footage has been somewhat updated since Camperdown is built from the perspective on River St, but on Main St Deca is still under construction. 

Edit: appears much of street view downtown has updated. Only view that doesn't appear to be updated in my preliminary view is Main St near Camperdown. 

Screenshot_20210910-154132_Maps.png

Edited by GVLover

• 2 months later...

It's great to see so many Christmas (or 'holiday' if that is your preference) lights downtown again. I don't think I've seen this many on buildings since the 90's, when almost every highrise had some sort of lit decoration. 101 North Main (future Canal HQ) lit up last night for the first time this season, Embassy Suites has two light trees on top, the Westin has its roofline strung with lights, as does both Liberty Square buildings. I'd love to see more, but I'm also happy to see what we've got now. Of course, the Christmas trees in public spaces, and the lights lining Main Street look great and add to the festive environment of the season. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wish for 2022 is for Michelin to commit to moving HQ to downtown somewhere in the County Square complex. How a company as major as Michelin isn’t being courted to downtown is beyond me, but considering close to 2k people work at HQ, it would be a significant boost to downtown work population if even 25% of those jobs actually went downtown. 

International HQ has been renovated and looks beautiful IMO. A design consistent with International HQ in County Square would contrast well with the new County Building, and hopefully other buildings that are proposed. Just a wish of course…

0D317D42-874D-43DD-A50A-A961959A9DAB.jpeg

37A7F5C8-3BDF-4F00-BDB2-498905A86390.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, GVLover said:

My wish for 2022 is for Michelin to commit to moving HQ to downtown somewhere in the County Square complex. How a company as major as Michelin isn’t being courted to downtown is beyond me, but considering close to 2k people work at HQ, it would be a significant boost to downtown work population if even 25% of those jobs actually went downtown. 

International HQ has been renovated and looks beautiful IMO. A design consistent with International HQ in County Square would contrast well with the new County Building, and hopefully other buildings that are proposed. Just a wish of course…

0D317D42-874D-43DD-A50A-A961959A9DAB.jpeg

37A7F5C8-3BDF-4F00-BDB2-498905A86390.jpeg

Scansource and Synnex. :whistling: Poor Pelham Road. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

Once, because at this rate it's inevitable, Greer officially overtakes Spartanburg as far as census numbers are concerned, how will this be handled as far as the naming of the CSA area? I would like to imagine it would remain "Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson", but on the opposing hand Greer could become a powerhouse (primary city) in its own right given their current growth trajectory, and maybe it isn't outlandish to replace Anderson with Greer someday as far CSA naming is concerned as Spartanburg is still a primary city by all measures. 

Edited by GVLover

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is a link to Knox White's "State of the City" address the other night. Not the best audio quality and no video. If someone knows a link for the video please post!

https://www.audacy.com/1063word/news/local/greenville-mayor-knox-white-gives-state-of-city-address

Pretty short and honestly, there is very little about the city as a whole. I would really consider this more of an "update on downtown projects" talk than a State of the City. There is a little about the current convention center from one of the questions at the end, but just about everything else is about downtown, especially Unity park. I wish we could get some regular updates like this from the mayor, but I would also be interested in hearing a real State of the City update on other parts of the city,  and topics like transportation, road changes, population changes and growth, annexation, jobs, etc.

It did sound like he was showing some old pictures of the the city and different areas that I'd like to see, but we'd need the video.

• Thanks 1