Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Didn't think this needed it's own thread and I don't to start a poll, but; When do you think Greenville County will reach 500,000. The pop stood at 320,000 in 1990. Last year's "estimate" put it at over 407,000. That is 87,000 in 15 years, or 5800/yr. If that rate continues, it will reach 500k sometime in 2021. Last year however, over 6300 were estimated to move here. If that were to continue it would happen in late 2019. (Could last year be the start of faster growth?) With all the developments, new companies, ICAR, Verdae and the like, I predict the growth numbers will go up, and we could reach it by say 2018 or even 2017 (also, we have been told that Gville was undercounted by quite a bit in the last two censuses (or is it censi)). What do you guys think?

I didn't realize this until now, but the U.S. Figure Skating International Showcase they had at the Bi-Lo Center Tuesday night will be on ABC this Saturday from 3-5pm. This could give some exposure to Greenville. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../604120389/1002

My wife & I were there last night. We scored some inexpensive front row seats from some one who couldn't make it. I'll admit, I really wasn't into going, but my wife was, so I did. Let me say this, it was awesome! The athleticism of these skaters is unreal. When you hear the blades on the ice you realize how much power they have. The speed, the height. It was great! :thumbsup:

Hopefully they mention Greenville about 100 times during the broadcast. :D

I know this has happened in past years, but most of the time Greenville was only one of the locations used in the TV broadcast. Can't wait to see! :shades:

It is always awesome to watch the World's best athletes perform live. I have been to both TJMaxx World Gymnastics Tours that came through Greenville recently. Talk about unreal athleticism! :D

I was wondering if the people of Greenville are accepting of northerners? I ask because i'm from the north and i'm interested in the city. But i'm not sure if it will be worth my while if i have to be hasseled about not having a southern draw. I hope that this is just my ignorance of the south and that they are cool people! I have heard that Atlanta is cool but there's no point for me to move to a city the size of atlanta when i can just live in Detroit metro. I would really appreciate a southerners insight on the subject. thanks.

I would really appreciate a southerners insight on the subject. thanks.
Will you take a Yankee's insight instead? Because everyone is accepted as long as they're not jackasses. But that's not a Southern thing. I find jackasses to be outcast no matter where they live. Whether they're natives or not. Now, that's not to say you won't run into people who will resort to trying to dismiss your viewpoint because "you're not from around these parts." But, once again, that's just a standard debate tactic when they've got nothing stronger to base their position on -- regardless of where the conversation takes place.

The biggest difference, I suppose, is that Southerners have a jargon to go with that argument, and a colorful history to back it up. So, when you make the point that "we need timed traffic control signals" someone in, say, Idaho, might say, "That's not the way things are done around here." But in the South there's an expression for that: "If you like the way things are done back home so much...then Delta is ready when you are!"

I find that the best way to make the hair on the back of a red neck bristle is to say, "We do [fill in the blank] better where I come from." Or, worse, "The way we do this back home [error 1] is this way....[error 2]."

Error 1: You've just told people that you haven't yet adopted the South as your "home." You deserve to be regarded as an outsider.

Error 2: You've implied that things back at your old place are done better, just because that's the way they did it there. Your point is stronger if you just say why your preferred way is better, without suggesting or implying that there is some sort of imprimatur of validity based on its geographic origin or turning it into a geographically-based contention.

Again, these sorts of things are equally undiplomatic and boorish regardless of where you are. It's just that Southerners seem to have a keener ear for them OR transplants to Dixie seem to think they have license to say them (or a bit of both).

If you're merely polite then there's something else that Southerners have a reputation for that you need to consider: hospitality!

Edited by Fiddlestix

For a transplant to the Greenville area, I would really reccommend learning some of the history of the area. Many thousands in the area have lived here for generations, which leads to its own particular type of culture and thinking that doesn't exist anywhere else. The problems and opportunities the Upstate faces do not exist in a vaccum, nor did they start some time in the late 70's.

A few books you might enjoy are:

South Carolina, A History, by Walter Edgar

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157003255...5Fencoding=UTF8

Colonial South Carolina

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157003189...5Fencoding=UTF8

Red Hills and Cotton, a Southern Memoir by Ben Robertson - a NY Times reporter who grew up in the 20's and 30's in next door Pickens, SC - best literary description of the historic Upstate there is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087249306...5Fencoding=UTF8

Greenville: The History of the City and County in the South Carolina Piedmont, by Furman professor Archie Vernon Huff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157003045...5Fencoding=UTF8

I was wondering if the people of Greenville are accepting of northerners? I ask because i'm from the north and i'm interested in the city. But i'm not sure if it will be worth my while if i have to be hasseled about not having a southern draw. I hope that this is just my ignorance of the south and that they are cool people! I have heard that Atlanta is cool but there's no point for me to move to a city the size of atlanta when i can just live in Detroit metro. I would really appreciate a southerners insight on the subject. thanks.

Greenville, based on my experience, is very accepting of those not from Greenville. Whether it is someone from New York, or Canada, or another part of South Carolina, they are going to be accepted by 98% of people in Greenville. I say 98%, because there are always some idiots that have closed minds (and that is true everywhere). The sampling you will get on this board is likely to be a good one, since some have lived in Greenville their entire lives while others moved to the area at various points in their lives. Virtually all will tell you that it is a special place with great people.

Greenville, based on my experience, is very accepting of those not from Greenville. Whether it is someone from New York, or Canada, or another part of South Carolina, they are going to be accepted by 98% of people in Greenville. I say 98%, because there are always some idiots that have closed minds (and that is true everywhere). The sampling you will get on this board is likely to be a good one, since some have lived in Greenville their entire lives while others moved to the area at various points in their lives. Virtually all will tell you that it is a special place with great people.

I will agree 100% with you Greenville. I've found that in Greenville, there is not an issue. I think its because the population is so diverse.

On the other hand, if you want to talk about Spartanburg..... :D

Welcome to Greenville, asics! I hope you find everything you're looking for here. There can be absolutely no doubt that Greenville does more to welcome new residents from other locations (especially from the North) than many realize. I find it amazing how many people continue to arrive from Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and other states regularly. Just come on down for a visit and experience life in Greenville for yourself. :D

I was wondering if the people of Greenville are accepting of northerners? I would really appreciate a southerners insight on the subject. thanks.

You will be accepted here if anywhere. And you are welcome! My junior year in high school (Riverside, admittedly, a school with many excellent newcomers) one of my teachers asked out of curiosity how many of us were originally from SC. Two of us raised our hands. And how many from Greenville, she asked. Just me.

Greenville is built, more than most cities, from people who come our way. Even our most conservative major institution - Bob Jones University - is highly national and international.

I hope you'll have fun and get out and see the whole area, take friends, make friends. Part of what makes Main Street so great is it is in the middle of so much that is more and different. Buy boiled peanuts on highway 11 (bring a wet napkin), hike in North Greenville, eat a hotdog at Skin Thrashers, have some chicken at Steakhouse Cafeteria (the best Southern food in SC, run by an Iranian). See the art at Bob Jones, find the octagonal church in Conestee. Find out who Max Heller and Tommy Wyche were and are. Have a patty melt at Waffle House. Find our Frank Lloyd Wright home, one he loved so much he tried to buy it back. Then go to the South Carolina room in our library and ask about what you've found. A couple of hours later, you'll have put down the kind of mental roots that make Greenville more than a place, and our Main St. make sense.

I could go on.

My family, both sides, have been in the upstate for more than 200 years. I've lived in Manhattan, I've lived in two Cambridge's, and I'm coming back.

It has been my experience in life, that if you don't harbor preceived notions about others, they won't hold them about you.

If you come with an open mind, you will attract open minds. Be open to new experiences and culture, and you will see their value and enjoy their beauty. Come with a close mind, and you will feel out of place and culture-shocked.

Thanks for all the replies! Greenville sounds like a very nice place to live. I'm going to have to check it out in person. :D

I have noticed on the photo of the day topic that the city is very serious about historic preservation downtown. Are some of the neighborhoods experiencing the same attention?