Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Anyone know anything about the new sculpture downtown?

Sure. What do you want to know?

It's located in the triangle at the intersection of Augusta Street, South Main Street, and River Street. It's silver, yet clearly can be identified as one of Dennis Heimbach's works, for example:

133067103_9421c90a1b.jpg

You may recognize another work of his that's located on the steps of the old Greenville Family Court Building on Court Square downtown:

92214379_783b826a22.jpg

Sure. What do you want to know?

It's located in the triangle at the intersection of Augusta Street, South Main Street, and River Street. It's silver, yet clearly can be identified as one of Dennis Heimbach's works, for example:

133067103_9421c90a1b.jpg

You may recognize another work of his that's located on the steps of the old Greenville Family Court Building on Court Square downtown:

92214379_783b826a22.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had a picture of it.

Edited by adrockc2

According to the television show "Top 10" that was on the Weather Channel tonight, Greenville/Spartanburg is ranked as the 6th wettest metropolitian area out of the top 50 metropolitian areas throughout the country.

Edited by g-man430

I remember being surprised a few years ago when I saw that Greenvile averages 52 inches of rain per year, yet Seattle (which has a reputation for getting so much rain) only averages 36 inches a year. I suppose Seattle's reputation is partly because they get frequent drizzles (rather than huge thunderstorms/downpours like we do), but I still found that interesting.

The Blue Ridge Escarpment is one of the wettest areas in North America.

Along parts of the southern Blue Ridge escarpment bordering the Southern Appalachian Piedmont Section, rainfall averages over 80 in (2,000 mm); the highest in the eastern U.S. Precipitation is about equally distributed throughout the year and relatively little occurs as snow.

http://www.fs.fed.us/land/pubs/ecoregions/ch18.html

Anyone who has ever been hiking in Jones Gap or in the Lake Jocasse region knows just how wet the area is. The mountains of South Carolina border on being a temperate rain forest.

This is very short notice; however, would anybody be free to show a visitor from Macon, GA around our fair city tomorrow? He's going to be in town having his motorcycle serviced at Touring Sport over on Laurens Road and is hoping someone may be free to show him around while he's here. I've got a weekend completely booked with other items that I've been putting off for far too long as it is, but I offered to see if anybody here is free to guide him around.

You may remember seeing one of his photos on the Photo of the Day thread back in November.

This is very short notice; however, would anybody be free to show a visitor from Macon, GA around our fair city tomorrow? He's going to be in town having his motorcycle serviced at Touring Sport over on Laurens Road and is hoping someone may be free to show him around while he's here. I've got a weekend completely booked with other items that I've been putting off for far too long as it is, but I offered to see if anybody here is free to guide him around.

You may remember seeing one of his photos on the Photo of the Day thread back in November.

Sorry RT. I'm heading out of town today, otherwise, I would have loved to. As a matter of fact, I've got a friend thinking about moving south coming next sunday. I'll be showing him and his wife around. :D

Selling Greenville is the easiest sales job there is. :rofl:

Anyone else hear about the "Beep Beep" band playing at The Gathering Spot tonight? "Thirteen Stories" is the name, and they have become famous (or infamous) for the song everyone has heard on the latest Ford commercial. Thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of mentioning. :silly:

Consider the source :whistling: (and the price).
Exactly. It's nothing more than a vehicle for selling extra advertising. If you advertise with them, they make that abundantly clear. It's designed to give your ad a long "shelf life," because Realtors will be handing them out to newcomers for the next year. Or so they say....

It also gives them a bump in their audited distribution numbers as those Realtors snatch them up...which helps justify increases in their advertising rate card.

Same for their "Best in the Upstate" awards. They tell advertisers to buy hundreds, sometimes thousands, of extra papers with the official ballots so that they advertiser can hire high school kids to stuff the ballots. Then, when the results are announced, they come and say, "You're getting an award, so you probably want to by an ad in our Best in the Upstate pull-out section."

Now that doesn't mean that these things aren't useful. If they were totally useless then they couldn't sell ads. But the idea is not to provide exhaustive coverage. They use them to sell ads and "reward" (okay, "strong-arm") their best advertisers and that requires some effort into creating a product that people might actually open up before tossing in the recycling bin.

Consider these supplements and pull-outs like iced shrimp. Yeah, it's shrimp, but barely defrosted it has little taste, so it's really nothing more than an inefficient, high-caloric and self-indulgent means of conveying cocktail sauce to your taste buds. After a while it's gonna clog the arteries and kill you...but people keep consuming it anyway. That's right, you heard it here first: the Greenville News is like frozen shrimp.

This is what you get when your only daily paper is run by the monolith that produces USA Today. You get USA Today - Local Edition, with a news culture designed to satisfy the people in advertising and sales who are the real heart and soul of the organization.

Worst of all, the Greenville Gannett operation is so utterly efficient and expert at generating revenue through its variety of advertising vehicles that there's no real hope that Gannett will unload the paper to a group that is devoted to news and journalism and will return that culture and ethos to our daily paper. No, we've got Gannett for the long haul...so I guess I better deal with it.