Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Yeah, I do too. I have never had a commercial that consitently made me hit the mute or change the channel as much as that one.

Yeah. That is one of the worst and annoying commerial I have ever seen. Know the new Heinakin(sp?) commercial, with the ######cats song in it, is the shizzzznit! :w00t:

Once again, very well stated. I'm far too subtle at times. :lol:

I personally got a kick out of this one though :rofl: :

Consider these supplements and pull-outs like iced shrimp. Yeah, it's shrimp, but barely defrosted it has little taste, so it's really nothing more than an inefficient, high-caloric and self-indulgent means of conveying cocktail sauce to your taste buds. After a while it's gonna clog the arteries and kill you...but people keep consuming it anyway. That's right, you heard it here first: the Greenville News is like frozen shrimp.

Did Greenville have both a morning paper and an afternoon paper? Were they local owned? Who was the publishing family, if they were local? Curious, since I didn't grow up here and have never heard much about the history of the newspapers.

At one point the Greenville News and the Greenville Piedmont were separate, but at some point, in the 60's I think, they merged and became the Greenville News Piedmont. The Piedmont was published up until the late 80's.

It was a neat paper with up to date news, not just city/downtown related, lots of school and community news and of course, pre-internet, more up to date sports coverage because it was an afternoon paper, delivered about 3 PM I think.

Piedmont subscribers got the weekend Greenville News on Saturday and Sunday, as the GP was only published five days a week.

As a kid, I always thought the GP had a better comics page, it was where the newer strips like the Far Side and Calving and Hobbes started out.

Both papers were owned by the local Peace family, as in Roger C. Peace hospital and the Peace Center for the Performing Arts.

Sometimes I think the Greenville Journal is trying to fill the place the Piedmont had, but it certainly doesn't have the marketing muscle that Satan, er... Gannett has.

The GP was from the era of multiple papers, even in mid-sized towns. Gone for good I suppose.

At one point the Greenville News and the Greenville Piedmont were separate, but at some point, in the 60's I think, they merged and became the Greenville News Piedmont. The Piedmont was published up until the late 80's.

It was a neat paper with up to date news, not just city/downtown related, lots of school and community news and of course, pre-internet, more up to date sports coverage because it was an afternoon paper, delivered about 3 PM I think.

Piedmont subscribers got the weekend Greenville News on Saturday and Sunday, as the GP was only published five days a week.

As a kid, I always thought the GP had a better comics page, it was where the newer strips like the Far Side and Calving and Hobbes started out.

Both papers were owned by the local Peace family, as in Roger C. Peace hospital and the Peace Center for the Performing Arts.

Sometimes I think the Greenville Journal is trying to fill the place the Piedmont had, but it certainly doesn't have the marketing muscle that Satan, er... Gannett has.

The GP was from the era of multiple papers, even in mid-sized towns. Gone for good I suppose.

Thanks for the info whitehourseveiw. I miss the days of multiple newspapers in a city. Once you read the morning paper, you still had something to look forward to with the evening paper, and many times, the opinion pieces in two competing newspapers varied greatly. Reading updates on the internet just isn't quite the same.

The neatest newspaper feature for me as a kid were always the department store ads. My mom worked as a young adult for Lowensteins in Memphis. She actually hand drew many of the Lowenstein ads for the newspaper. Lowensteins (as all stores of the time) had huge graphic departments strictly for ads. I always thought it was kinda cool as a kid. She had several that she had saved at home and I would sit as a kid and look through them. They always seemed so "big city", as our small town paper didn't really have them. Anyway....I ramble...... :D

Thanks for the info whitehourseveiw. I miss the days of multiple newspapers in a city. Once you read the morning paper, you still had something to look forward to with the evening paper, and many times, the opinion pieces in two competing newspapers varied greatly. Reading updates on the internet just isn't quite the same.

The neatest newspaper feature for me as a kid were always the department store ads. My mom worked as a young adult for Lowensteins in Memphis. She actually hand drew many of the Lowenstein ads for the newspaper. Lowensteins (as all stores of the time) had huge graphic departments strictly for ads. I always thought it was kinda cool as a kid. She had several that she had saved at home and I would sit as a kid and look through them. They always seemed so "big city", as our small town paper didn't really have them. Anyway....I ramble...... :D

It's not like the News and Piedmont provided much of a choice for the last half century of the Piedmont's existence, with the lines blurring gradually over time until there was no meaningful distinction for the last several decades.

By the time the Piedmont had its final press run in 1995, the choice for readers was basically between time of delivery (I took the afternoon Piedmont myself) and comics (perhaps the real reason I preferred afternoon delivery, but I'll never admit it publicly).

Years and years earlier, the difference was profound. But not in recent memory.

About the only vestige of the Piedmont that's left these days is apparent at Christmastime, when the News runs both the Sunshine Fund (which the News has sponsored for about a quarter century) and the Goodfellows Fund (which the Piedmont sponsored, I believe, even before the Peace family acquired it in 1927).

That's right, it's been since 1927 that the two papers were both owned by the Peace family. The Piedmont was 100 years old when that acquisition took place.

Earlier (with the founding of the News taking place during Reconstruction) there had been a marked distinction between the two, with the News being pro-Confederacy and pro-Jim Crow while the Piedmont was an anti-secessionist and mildly abolitionist voice (though if you factor in the times and the place, it was rather daring in its stance). The News clung to its "opiate of the masses" roots long after the Peace family came onto the scene and in the 1950s its editors railed against the Brown v. Bd. of Education decision and vehemently urged lawmakers to resist integration of the schools here.

The editor of the News in the mid-50s (Wayne Freeman) even served on the state's segregation committee (the Gressette Committee) and his public commentary was not restrained on the subject. Despite all that vituperative rhetoric and agitating Greenville somehow avoided being pegged as yet another backwards city. Amazingly, the News clung to its position backing segregation as late as 1970 -- when "integration" occurred (February 17 to be exact). When national media outlets came to town to cover the story they were impressed by the lack of bloodshed and how smooth things went (relatively speaking -- though the following fall things did get ugly briefly, but the national media was long gone by then).

Compared to other integration stories the national media outlets covered, Greenville was tame -- and so the morning paper's steadfast objection to the court-approved integration plan by the school district (the News called the plan "absurd") was but a footnote. And since those editorials fortunately didn't firm up the resolve of the yahoos who came out with bricks and bats in other cities to protest integration, the News' shameful coverage is easily swept into the dustbin labeled "let's not go there" nowadays. And never will you see an apology or even an explanation of its past positions during coverage of current events, such as the death of AJ Whittenberg who brought the lawsuit that forced integration. He was rightfully hailed as an important leader, but the News never noted its role in skewering the man for trying to bring the fruits of the Brown decision to Greenville or how they did what they could to stop him.

While the News has become more progressive since then, I would suggest to you that it has become no more progressive than society-as-a-whole since those times. It's really not taken any daring strides, always playing it safe, always in synch with the Chamber of Commerce and other stuffed shirt community leaders who cling to the selective memory of a community that integrated calmly and cooperatively, while ignoring the embarassments of important leaders.

I can accept that sort of whitewashing from the Greenville Journal which has found its niche in upbeat, happy-clappy profiles and being a community cheerleader of sorts. When it profiled the Poinsett Club a few months ago, it made a reference to the fact that it didn't admit African-Americans or women as members until 2001. That amazing fact was waved off nonchalantly with the manager saying "That's the way all the clubs did things." Yeah, but not in the 21st century! Alas, I wasn't reading the profile to get the ins-and-outs and pros and cons. It was fluff of the very sort that they do well at the Community Journals building. They do deliver some good breaking news (like the Piggly Wiggly story!), but I'm not really looking for hard-hitting news from them.

Generally speaking, I do expect that of my daily paper. On the news and editorial pages. But to apply that specifically to the Greenville News is unrealistic. They bleed so much of the Lifestyle and Weekend section fluff onto the news pages, there's very little substance to chew on.

And, OMG...on a Sunday morning when I'm ready to sit down with the paper, I'm finished with it before the coffee's finished dripping into the pot! It's not even a one-cupper on Sundays. Overall, it's lucky if it's the third best daily in the state. I just wish some of the news people and true-to-life journalists there would grow spines and stop the advertising and sales people from running the newsroom and editorial page. Even if it's just for a week.

vituperative - I had to look that one up.

While I agree that the Journal is a cheerleader of sorts, it sometimes amazes me that they can print a story on Thursday that is truly news, and it is repeated or expounded on in Sunday's News. How can a weekly paper beat a daily to the story?

One possibility is the space wasted by the News on what I would consider police blotter material. Its awfully easy to report something that has already been written down by the Sherriff's office. Throw in a couple commas and run it through spell check. Front page.

I think the reason that I most prefer the Journal is that it is local. There are thousands of outlets for national and international news, with a depth of coverage that is only limited by your carpal tunnel. Yet AP stories are run as filler in the News 24 hours after an event was reported.

How about sending a reporter out and finding a story about a local guy-made-good. How about a start up business that is doing gangbusters. How about an interview with a lady who was written about by the News 15 years ago, in what should have been a police blotter blurb, and how her life has changed since then.

I don't know. Maybe all this would just raise salaries expense too much, but that is what I would like to see in the only local daily.

Amen to that! I love news and stories relating to GREENVILLE, especially in The "Greenville" News. I don't mind reading a few interesting stories about things happening in the region, but the vast majority of information should be relevant to this area and cover the small details other publications leave out. That's really all I care about.

I will say that The Greenville News has made great positive strides recently in covering new developments across the area. Hopefully the improvements will continue.

Pure stupidity here.....

An article in the Greenville News about a back-up on 385 (more than a mile) today. Some motorist were trying to back up the nearest exit ramp to escape the gridlock, but police blocked them. That's a good use of my tax dollars for police salaries....instead of the police helping with an alternate route or directing traffic (which is what I pay my tax dollars for), the police simply block the exit, keeping the motorist in the gridlock. Real smart!

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/60503003

My apologies in advance if this is off-topic for a Greenville Off-Topic thread. But, in my defense, I found this as I was looking up a link I used in another Greenville thread. And I really am not one to share any odd thing I stumble upon on the Internet. I think this link is that good.

I imagine that I would be like this guy (or worse) if I was under the same conditions -- and I'd be just as enthusiastic as he was!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/extra/blueangels/

Remember, there are actually 5 small clips here. The first one should start up automatically, but don't miss the other ones!

Again, my apologies...though if you check this out I doubt you'd hate me for sharing this with you.

Pure stupidity here.....

An article in the Greenville News about a back-up on 385 (more than a mile) today. Some motorist were trying to back up the nearest exit ramp to escape the gridlock, but police blocked them. That's a good use of my tax dollars for police salaries....instead of the police helping with an alternate route or directing traffic (which is what I pay my tax dollars for), the police simply block the exit, keeping the motorist in the gridlock. Real smart!

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/60503003

I'm imagining the scene leaving Charleston as a hurricane draws near or perhaps around here as the Duke Energy team scrambles to keep Oconee #2 from blowing after a hijacked airliner crashes into the cooling tower...

As panicked citizens try to find the path of least resistance, the traffic cops are creating new obstacles -- just to keep it interesting and equally mortifying for everyone. Anyway, it's great to have a newspaper reporting that traffic is moving once again after an hour-long delay. That's news we can use!

vituperative - I had to look that one up.

While I agree that the Journal is a cheerleader of sorts, it sometimes amazes me that they can print a story on Thursday that is truly news, and it is repeated or expounded on in Sunday's News. How can a weekly paper beat a daily to the story?

One possibility is the space wasted by the News on what I would consider police blotter material. Its awfully easy to report something that has already been written down by the Sherriff's office. Throw in a couple commas and run it through spell check. Front page.

I think the reason that I most prefer the Journal is that it is local. There are thousands of outlets for national and international news, with a depth of coverage that is only limited by your carpal tunnel. Yet AP stories are run as filler in the News 24 hours after an event was reported.

How about sending a reporter out and finding a story about a local guy-made-good. How about a start up business that is doing gangbusters. How about an interview with a lady who was written about by the News 15 years ago, in what should have been a police blotter blurb, and how her life has changed since then.

I don't know. Maybe all this would just raise salaries expense too much, but that is what I would like to see in the only local daily.

I don't remember the weekly beating the daily to the story. Can you cite specific examples?

I don't remember the weekly beating the daily to the story. Can you cite specific examples?

About a month ago, the Journal ran a front page story with several followups on the inside about teenage drinking. This was repeated in the following Sunday's News.

Project Pogo was mentioned in the Journal first.

Yesterday's edition of the Journal ran a very interesting story about what will be the centerpiece of the Riverplace development. I think the bells will be an important addition to attract people towards the west from Falls Park. No mention of this from the News, yet.

My memory isn't that great, but I do remember thinking every week, 'How is it that the Journal can print that on Thursday, and the News is just getting around to it today?'

Edit: Grammar

Edited by wellen

About a month ago, the Journal ran a front page story with several followups on the inside about teenage drinking. This was repeated in the following Sunday's News.

Project Pogo was mentioned in the Journal first.

Yesterday's edition of the Journal ran a very interesting story about what will be the centerpiece of the Riverplace development. I think the bells will be an important addition to attract people towards the west from Falls Park. No mention of this from the News, yet.

My memory isn't that great, but I do remember thinking every week, 'How is it that the Journal can print that on Thursday, and the News is just getting around to it today?'

Edit: Grammar

I try to read both publications on a regular basis, although sometimes I miss.

As I recall, the GNews had the first story that told us who Pogo was and the scope of the project. Whether the Journal had a small item mentioning a Project Pogo before that or not, I don't recall.

You mention the latest edition of the Journal and the story on the bell ornament at RiverPlace. No, I did not see this in the GNews, so give the Journal credit for that.

However, what I did see in today's GNews was a big story on the City Hall project that named the developers involved and gave lots of detail. The Journal had a story, too, but all it said was they didn't have any new information.

I also saw in the latest Journal a story about Orders Distributing being sold, which I had learned days ago from the GNews. Also, the Journal routinely turns what have been big news stories during the week into little news briefs, if they've been in the GNews already, which they usually have.

I saw a story in the GNews about Carl Flesher of BMW taking a job with the Commerce Department. Didn't see hide nor hare of that in the Journal. I remember a story in the GNews about local gas stations getting busted for price gouging. Don't remember that in the Journal. I could go on and on.

No one likes their local daily newspaper, but the truth is, the local daily is always the community's news engine, whether the community likes its ownership or not. There's a lot to be said for the Journal, and they are to be commended for giving Greenville an additional source of news. But it strikes me that a lot of times in these forums, the Journal is always praised and the News always derided. That, when most of the news that's discussed in these forums comes from the News!

I'm just trying to be honest. Facts is facts.