Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Does anybody have any idea why those nice "Enjoy Greenville's Downtown" signs at the entry points into downtown aren't lighted at night anymore? Is it a cost-saving measure by the city? Is it maintenance neglect? Do the bulbs just need to be replaced and haven't been? What gives? I love seeing those things all lit up at night.

There is an article in today's Greenville News about 3D Systems Corporation choosing Rock Hill as their new headquarters. It is important because some not so great things were said about Greenville's recruiting efforts. Sounds like sour grapes on this guy's part to me, but see what you think:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/512040323

This appears to be another shot in the battle between the Chamber and the County Council over control of economic development in Greenville.

The Chamber controlled the Economic Development agency and was partially funded by the county. That was prior to '97 or '98. In retailiation for opposing the county's Anti-Gay resolution, the county council withdrew all funding of the Chamber at that time.

The County set up it's own economic development agency and the Chamber maintained it's own but with less funding. There was a lot of talk at the time that this would hinder progress because efforts would be spintered.

The fact that Knox White was not told of the visit portends that the continual rift between the city and county affects economic development negatively as well.

This appears to be another shot in the battle between the Chamber and the County Council over control of economic development in Greenville.

The Chamber controlled the Economic Development agency and was partially funded by the county. That was prior to '97 or '98. In retailiation for opposing the county's Anti-Gay resolution, the county council withdrew all funding of the Chamber at that time.

The County set up it's own economic development agency and the Chamber maintained it's own but with less funding. There was a lot of talk at the time that this would hinder progress because efforts would be spintered.

The fact that Knox White was not told of the visit portends that the continual rift between the city and county affects economic development negatively as well.

Good points.

One quick correction: County increased funding for economic development. Prior to 2001, County funded Chamber at $350k per year. Currently they fund their own efforts (GADC) at around $600k per year (plus dues to Upstate Alliance, plus private funds raised to support GADC, plus funds for The Matrix Business Park).

Good news is that just in the last few months County has resumed some funding of the Chamber (around $100k per year) for efforts in workforce development, entrepreneurial support, existing industry services.

Edit:

Sorry Vicupstate. I misread. You are correct. Chamber has stayed active in economic development without funding from COunty. (When I first read it, I thought you were implying County funded Econ. Dev. at a lower level when they set up their own agency). My fault.

Edited by EDPro

A couple of notable holiday events in Greenville:

I was shocked to learn that, one year after raising the fee for the Roper Mountain Holiday Lights from $5.00 to $6.00, the fee has increased to $10.00 per car. Additionally, you are now limited to one pass through the center to view the lights. One and out. :shok:

To recap: Twice the entry fee from two years ago. 1/2 to 1/x the loops through to enjoy the lights. However, keep in mind that the proceeds go back into the community for a variety of good causes.

• 2 weeks later...

Where has NYT been? Haven't seen him around lately.

I've been wondering the same thing. Hopefully he's just on holiday for the holidays and will be back soon.

Edit: His profile shows that he was "Last Active Today, 01:11 PM" though. Maybe he's just busy or keeping a low profile.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I've been wondering the same thing. Hopefully he's just on holiday for the holidays and will be back soon.

Edit: His profile shows that he was "Last Active Today, 01:11 PM" though. Maybe he's just busy or keeping a low profile.

Hey all,

I've been pretty busy lately. My schedule has changed, so I haven't had alot of time to get online lately. Im hoping to get back to normal soon.

The reason my profile shows I've been active, is that UP is the home page on my wife's computer. Any time either of us open internet explorer, it logs me in. That isn't to say I don't lurk here and there :shades:

Happy new year to all of you. Hopefully I'll be back in full force soon!

Have you guys noticed all of the new condo developments going up lately; not just here in Greenville but in a lot of other cities too. I don't ever recall seeing these many condos going up in this many cities ever. I'm beginning to wonder if it's almost too many. For example look how many condo projects were in the works in Greenville 10 years ago compared to now. It must just be a new trend which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by g-man430

A possible reason: Baby Boomers have started to retire. Even if only a small percentage of them downsize to a condo, that would still require millions of units nationwide. Another reason: Young professionals either don't have the time or the desire to take care of a yard. I like the trend. It leads to less sprawl. :P

I've noticed this trend nearly everywhere I've gone in the past year: Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, Greenville, Orlando, Miami, Tampa; Denver; etc.. It's definitely something that's on a National Level.

I would tend to agree with wellen's two reasons. Empty-Nest Baby Boomers and Young Urban Professionals; however, I don't think the young professionals have anything against lawn care...they simply want the urban lifestyle. Either way, wellen's right. This trend leads to less sprawl and higher population densities. :thumbsup: