Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Greenville lost a giant today. A civic leader and a businessman. Caine Halter was 45 and president of Coldwell Banker Caine Commercial Real Estate. The lifetime nonsmoker died of lung cancer.

Greenvilleonline.com

A former chairman of the YMCA of Greenville Metro Board of Directors, he was currently serving as chairman of the YMCA Cleveland Street Campaign to renovate the facility.

Halter was also serving on the South Carolina Bank & Trust Board of Directors and on its executive committee, and on the boards of the Community Foundation, the Greenville Health Corp. and Artisphere.

Anyone know much about zoning and how it works in Greenville County that is willing to spend a few minutes educating me? I found out yesterday that the property adjacent to mine is up for rezoning to R-15. As I understand it, that can mean horses, manufactured homes, or be parceled out into multiple lots for residential development.

I know that the request is up to the planning commission on 8/20.

I'm trying to use the PDF http://www.greenvilleplanning.com/regulati...005-18-2007.pdf

to understand exactly what all R-15 allows for but Table 6.1 makes no sense to me

I noticed there were 2 cases for properties requested rezoning to R-15. One for r20 to r15 and the other from r12 to r15.

Since you specifically mention horses, I would think you are referring to the one going from r12 to r15, because it would now allow horses?

Correct. (Galloway property on behalf of Cartee). What I am really trying to understand is the full implications of it as it does share a property line with me. One of my neighbours says she was told by someone at the zoning board that going go R15 would make it easier to do further development - perhaps even commercial at a later date. What I beleive is that in order to do anything commerical and or multi family they would have to do another zoning hearing that would be more worth the fight. I'm not necessarily opposed to the horses if that's what is truly being rezoned for I just don't want any surprises.

This property is currently R12. It is easier to develop in R12 (more density). Rex Galloway wants to rezone the property so he can put horses on it.

There is no guarantee that it will be rezoned to a lesser density. It really depends on what is happening in that vicinty. In this case, I think that planning should to keep it the same, because there is development in the area. It is a good piece of property for a quality residential development (which is what I would do, if it were mine).

Surprisingly enough, when an area like this is residential in nature, some neighbors will fight against horses. The reason being is that R-15 allows for 2 horses per acre. In this case, that could be up to 36 horses. Not saying that this will be the case, but the zoning allows for it, and the county has to plan for current and future uses as well.

All that being said, it really could go either way in this case. This property is just on the edge and I don't think most of the neighbors in that triangle would have a problem with the rezoning.

Tomorrow, I'm leaving for Europe for the next 4 months. If other people's travels are any indication, hopefully some great news will come out while I'm gone. Project Skyline, the Gateway Site, Pinnacle on Main Construction, Court Street Tower construction, Woolworth redevelopment, some new developments that are yet unknown, etc to just name a few that I'm hoping for y'all to keep this website up to date on... I know you all will. Photos will be much appreciated, too. ;)

Tomorrow, I'm leaving for Europe for the next 4 months. If other people's travels are any indication, hopefully some great news will come out while I'm gone. Project Skyline, the Gateway Site, Pinnacle on Main Construction, Court Street Tower construction, Woolworth redevelopment, some new developments that are yet unknown, etc to just name a few that I'm hoping for y'all to keep this website up to date on... I know you all will. Photos will be much appreciated, too. ;)

Are you going to Genoa, Italy to Clemson's architecture center there? I had a friend who did that a few years ago, and she loved it. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your travels. Will you be able to check in with us while you are gone?

Have a great trip, GvilleSC!

With respect to btoy, I think the Greenville News snapped a couple of photos of him during the Greer Wing Fling? :lol:

Perhaps one of the greatest community events has started again in the area: high school football Friday night football.

I've often said if you really want to get to know a community, especially in this part of the country, go to the nearest high school Friday night football game, even if you don't care about the game, or don't know anyone at the school. You'll probably learn more about your neighborhood and people in it, than just about any other activity around.

Perhaps one of the greatest community events has started again in the area: high school football Friday night football.

I've often said if you really want to get to know a community, especially in this part of the country, go to the nearest high school Friday night football game, even if you don't care about the game, or don't know anyone at the school. You'll probably learn more about your neighborhood and people in it, than just about any other activity around.

Is high school football really that big in the upstate? I never really felt like it was when I was coming through. I know it is popular with people who have kids playing or cheering, and perhaps even to those who played years ago - but I do not see the average upstate resident going to a high school football game simply for the enjoyment of it. Most people seem to have way too many other things they would rather be doing (and thankfully, plenty of options exist here).

From what I understand, high school football is absolutely huge in Texas. As in the town shuts down every Friday night because everyone is at the game. Crazy.

It's huge, but on a neighborhood level: Traveler's Rest or Southside or Eastside. Spartanburg and Anderson have multiple districts, and fewer high schools, so the schools are bigger, but the aggregate numbers are similar.

In Texas, or even in more rural parts of S. Carolina, an entire town will go to a school's games, but I'll stand by what I said. If you want to see your neighborhood on the ground level, a high school game is the easiest way to get in touch with it.

From what I understand, high school football is absolutely huge in Texas. As in the town shuts down every Friday night because everyone is at the game. Crazy.

High School Football Stadiums are cathedrals in Texas. Many of them are HUGE...like stadiums for small colleges. It's more than just football, though. It's the entire spectacle...the band...the cheerleaders...the majorettes...the entire town is involved in it in one way, shape, or form. And, of course, the football game itself is pretty important, too. Travelers Rest, at times, feels like one of those Texas towns on Friday Nights during the fall.

Interesting that high school football in Greenville would be mentioned, as Greenville is one of seven launch markets for a new product called Highschoolplaybook.com This product will focus on high school sports and be available on TV, the web, and mobile devices. Greenville is in good company, as the other six launch cities are: Orlando, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Greensboro/Winston-Salem.

Article:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...116082007-1.htm

I was just thinking about downtown projects that should be starting soon, and realized that we could have several key projects starting in September (or at least this fall):

- Marriott Courtyard at Main and Broad

- Peacock Hotel and Spa

- Palmetto Bank Headquarters

- Pinnacle on Main (fingers crossed)

- Court Street condos (if they can get approval)

Plus, we should also be hearing more about the Gateway site (I really hope their original plans for a 25-27 story tower are still in the works) as well as the Main at Washington block of development (wasn't September targeted for release of a rendering/project timeline?). I am also optimistic that we will be hearing more about the Main at McBee office building.

Although things have seemed to slow down lately, I think we have a lot of exciting downtown developments on the horizon that should be generating some activity soon. These projects will provide a lot of additional activity downtown. Combined with the suburban developments at CU-ICAR, Verdae, Magnolia Park, The Point, Carolina First, etc., Greenville is really going to be on fire. :)

Nice little "feel good" article about Greenville's advertising industry. CEO Mike Sheehan, of Hill-Holliday in Boston (Erwin- Penlands parent company) had this to say about Greenville:

Sheehan said, "When you walk around and look at the restaurants, the stores, the business -- there is thought put into everything I see."

"You can sense, you can feel, you can see and you can touch a very creative culture in the city," he said.

Article link below:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13952987/detail.html