Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am in Italy, I thought that I might try to get to Greenville's sister city, Bergamo, at some point. I've been trying to find out if Bergamo had anything similar to Greenville's Piazza Bergamo that would be dedicated to its sister city... I thought it might be interesting to see it and take pictures, but I've yet to find anything online. Does anyone know if there is anything Greenville related in Bergamo, Italy??? or where I might check?

Or, if anyone is in favor of seeing pictures of the place, let me know and I'll at least aim to do that.

Edited by GvilleSC

Since I am in Italy, I thought that I might try to get to Greenville's sister city, Bergamo, at some point. I've been trying to find out if Bergamo had anything similar to Greenville's Piazza Bergamo that would be dedicated to its sister city... I thought it might be interesting to see it and take pictures, but I've yet to find anything online. Does anyone know if there is anything Greenville related in Bergamo, Italy??? or where I might check?

Or, if anyone is in favor of seeing pictures of the place, let me know and I'll at least aim to do that.

Rivers Stone visited Bergamo when he was doing research for Montebello. I've seen pictures, and there was one of a garden that spelled out "Greenville" in flowers. I could not begin to tell you exactly where to find it, or even if it still exists. The picture was probably taken 10 years ago.

Rivers Stone visited Bergamo when he was doing research for Montebello. I've seen pictures, and there was one of a garden that spelled out "Greenville" in flowers. I could not begin to tell you exactly where to find it, or even if it still exists. The picture was probably taken 10 years ago.

Well, that does help. I'm going to try to dig a little deeper and see what's out there... Thanks!

This is kind of unique. You could have a set of dishes with local Greenville landmarks. This designer has designed china with prints of landmarks and "things people love about their cities" on the dishes. Greenville is one of the first set of cities created. Would be curious to see these or find out where to buy them. More items for a "Greenville" store.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/21/l...-line-of-china/

This is kind of unique. You could have a set of dishes with local Greenville landmarks. This designer has designed china with prints of landmarks and "things people love about their cities" on the dishes. Greenville is one of the first set of cities created. Would be curious to see these or find out where to buy them. More items for a "Greenville" store.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/21/l...-line-of-china/

Very cool, indeed! I would also like to know where to purchase. :)

Sounds like very poor ownership/management to me. The least you can do when people enter into a membership contract is alert them if their membership is about to change or be cancelled.

I couldn't agree more. As a current member, I received no notice of the closure except for the letter posted on the door. The gym was pretty poorly run the last few months (cleanliness, on-time opening, etc), so I guess I should have seen the signs of a failed business. On a positive note, the location is great and the facilities/equipment are quite nice - so maybe there really is a new owner and they will improve the way things are done (though the 30 days closure and encouragement to check out other gyms sure doesn't sound promising...)

Sounds like very poor ownership/management to me. The least you can do when people enter into a membership contract is alert them if their membership is about to change or be cancelled.

My boyfriend was a member of that gym, and the only notice they recieved was on Sept 30, the day the gym closed:

"Dear Members:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that I have sold Pulze Fit Club to a new owner. The club will close on Sunday, September 30, 2007 for much needed repairs and remodeling for approximately 30 days. It

Edited by nutkitty

The so called agreement with the YMCA is only valid to the end of 2007. Coops gym is a good five miles away from Pulze, which isn't exactly convenient for those that got memberships at Pulze because of their downtown location.

Pulze was also served an eviction notice - that doesn't make sense if the owner simply sold the business. We have no idea how this so called "member value transfer option" is going to work out.

They also had this huge $99 one year membership promotion going on recently. I don't know why on earth the owner would offer that kind of thing knowing that she was going to sell the gym shortly after. I know a GREAT deal of people that took them up on this offer.

The owner says she owes no reimbursement since she provided alternatives.

I'm starting to get very wary of private gyms as of late. My wife was a member of Ladies Choice and that was a worse debacle than the Pulze situation but didn't receive near as much press. I remember another story that came out of Anderson a few years ago. The gym I am a member of is a private gym but it's national chain and I like their 24-hour access but I admit I don't go as much as I used to when I was a member at the Furman Fitness center which is closer to my house.

I'm starting to get very wary of private gyms as of late. My wife was a member of Ladies Choice and that was a worse debacle than the Pulze situation but didn't receive near as much press. I remember another story that came out of Anderson a few years ago. The gym I am a member of is a private gym but it's national chain and I like their 24-hour access but I admit I don't go as much as I used to when I was a member at the Furman Fitness center which is closer to my house.

My wife had been a memeber of Ladies' Choice for a long time. After she had quit going there (now she goes to Pivotal Fitness when she's up to it - being pregnant she doesn't go much), she ran into someone that used to work at the front desk. It almost sounded like Ladies' Choice was mobbed up. Some bad bad stuff going on, or so she was told by the former employee.

My boyfriend was a member of that gym, and the only notice they recieved was on Sept 30, the day the gym closed:

"Dear Members:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that I have sold Pulze Fit Club to a new owner. The club will close on Sunday, September 30, 2007 for much needed repairs and remodeling for approximately 30 days. It

Looks like the Upstate finally met the federal Clean Air Act ozone standards for 2007 (just came out of the peak ozone period), after a couple of years of nonattainment. :thumbsup: We still have much that can be done..........

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/710020353

Thats good to know. I'm surprised this isn't making larger headlines, given all the raucous about not being in attainment over the past few years. Was this on any of the local new stations or the radio?

The closing of Pulze is starting to get ugly. I heard last night on WYFF that a class action lawsuit is being considered against the owner. Apparently, the club was still selling memberships as late as 6:00 pm on the night before the club shut down. The new owner is certainly going to have their share of issues with disgruntled members.....they have a tough road ahead.

Not to pour on gas... but I know that when I went in to check it out about two years ago, I was routinely called at home regarding becoming a member. While the facilities seemed great, the personal phone calls weren't endearing.... and smelled a little like desperation.

Here's something for the group. I'm doing a project for work and would love to get suggestions on what up-and-coming or forward-thinking architects or design professionals you'd like to see work on a project in Greenville. From a "creative urban design" standpoint, what are some cities or architects or other professionals you think Greenville could learn a thing or two from? Anyone have an opinion on who's really on the cutting edge of those fields?