Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

There is a great article in today's Greenville News about the festivals this weekend - particularly the "new" Stone Fest music festival. The organizers plan to make it grow and add other styles of music next year, including possibly utilizing a local church sanctuary's organ. I especially like this small blurb in the article:

Alise Brown, at a Bohemian Cafe table Thursday with her two small children, said she and her husband moved back from Columbia because there's just so much to do in Greenville. "It's just so unique," she said.
:thumbsup:

There is a great article in today's Greenville News about the festivals this weekend - particularly the "new" Stone Fest music festival. The organizers plan to make it grow and add other styles of music next year, including possibly utilizing a local church sanctuary's organ. I especially like this small blurb in the article: :thumbsup:

:silly: haha, love the quote.

I wish I could see downtown this weekend rocking with so many people and so much stuff going on... I guess I'll just have to look through y'all photographs.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in pan handlers/ vagrants in the Main Street and West End area recently? Everytime I've been down there in the evening in recent weeks, I've been stopped by a pan handler, sometimes aggressively.

Going to the movie at the ballpark Saturday night, I saw one man trying to stop a woman pulling out of a parking lot and I guess attempt to beg off her. He then tried to stop my wife and I as we passed on the sidewalk, but we kept on walking, and then swore at us for walking away from him.

That on top of the half Apache/ Half Hawaiian former Marine guy I met outside the history museum who stopped me to tell me that he was certain that he was going to be part of a revolution when the Apache's and the Mexicans take over from the white man.

Not sure how many of you are Augusten Burroughs fans, but I heard a group from Furman (of all places) is working to bring him to the Upstate for a couple of days. Anyone heard more about this?

Sellevision has to be one of the best "camp" books ever. :thumbsup: The guy is uber creative!

You learn something new everyday. I never knew that Umbro had been founded in Greenville and based in Greenville. Interesting....

<a href="http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../710240367/1003" target="_blank">http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../710240367/1003</a>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they used to be in the mill that was torn down for Cherrydale. In addition they had a "true" outlet store in the old strip mall that was beside the Wal-Mart in Taylors. That strip mall was torn down as well so thta Wal-Mart could be expanded and a new strip mall went in.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they used to be in the mill that was torn down for Cherrydale. In addition they had a "true" outlet store in the old strip mall that was beside the Wal-Mart in Taylors. That strip mall was torn down as well so thta Wal-Mart could be expanded and a new strip mall went in.

You are correct, what is now the Cherrydale shopping center was once the Umbro factory and outlet as well.

The Cherrydale site is an interesting place that sorta broadly tells the story of the South, or at least this part of it.

It was once the country retreat/ plantation farm of the Furman family in the 1800's, including of course the Cherrydale mansion that was moved about eight years ago from the hill that was leveled on that site, to the Furman campus. After the war, farming on the site collapsed, and it became a series of small mills, with the house remaining.

After the Depression, the facility that became Umbro was built and lasted until the early 90's. Not only was it interesting to see a shopping center in that location, but that was a hilly site that was completely leveled for the Cherrydale Shopping center.

So one site, in about a 130 years goes from plantation to small manufacturing to larger manufacturing to service industry, which is a lot of the economic history of the region.

Did anyone participate in the Spinx Road Races this year? How was it?

This time last year I had anticipated participating in either the marathon or the marathon relay, but alas my year hasn't been the greatest, so I did not participate. I was out of town and missed the entire weekend, in fact.

Downtown has been completely packed again this evening, even past the ballpark. :wub:

Isn't the weather this weekend awesome!?!? I'm going to miss this.

Isn't the weather this weekend awesome!?!? I'm going to miss this.
Yes! It may not turn cold too quickly though since weather forcasters are predicting a relatively mild and dry ( <_< ) winter this year. Spring will be back again before we realize it. ;)

I noticed you are planning to move back to Orlando? Is this true and is there any logical reason? :huh:

Local Greenville guy launches a clothing company and wants to take on Lacoste and Polo. Great article on the start up and growth of the company. Learn something new everyday.....didn't know about Southern Tide. Makes sense to me with the history of textiles in this area, that Greenville would be a great breeding ground for upstarts such as this.

Company website below also.

http://www.star-telegram.com/461/story/295069.html

http://www.southerntide.net/

Did anyone catch the CMA awards last night? when Brad paisley performed he had a marching band play down the isles and at the end of the song I could have sworn I heard him say it was the Greenville High School marching band. can anyone confirm this. although i would have thought that would be in the paper.

EDIT - nevermind it was the Brentwood highschool marching band. my bad.

Edited by lbs5015