Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

I have a confession to make:

I have never really questioned the name "Heritage Green". I always thought the 'Heritage' part was due to the nature of the offerings at HG, and never really gave it much thought. Well, traveling through downtown today via Park Avenue and going through the "Heritage Historic District" which brought me out next to the Upcountry History Museum, it hit me. Bingo! Heritage comes from the neighborhood!

Anyway, it got me thinking that the City should really try to make that connection a much greater one. I'm not entirely sure how, but it seems like some great opportunities exist for the awesome public space and offerings as well as the historic neighborhood to coexist a little more uniformly. Ideas?

Are you sure? Could they not have have named the area after Heritage Green? Is their a road back their that is named Heritage? Just curious as the other Historical Districts I know are named after roads. i.e. Pettigru and Hampton Pinkney. You could be right but just wanted to double check. I've lived in Greenville before their was a Heritage Green (at least in terms of the official name and sign) and I never heard of the Heritage Historical District before that or ever mentioned in conversation. However it could have been not known very well.

Are you sure? Could they not have have named the area after Heritage Green? Is their a road back their that is named Heritage? Just curious as the other Historical Districts I know are named after roads. i.e. Pettigru and Hampton Pinkney. You could be right but just wanted to double check. I've lived in Greenville before their was a Heritage Green (at least in terms of the official name and sign) and I never heard of the Heritage Historical District before that or ever mentioned in conversation. However it could have been not known very well.

Well, like I said, I'm just taking a stab at this, putting two and two together... So, I'm definitely not sure, but considering the linkage between Heritage Green and the Heratige Historic District is extremely minimal in terms of streets, etc, I wouldn't think the neighbhood would feel connected enough to choose that name based on the museum area... Can anyone tell us for sure??

An article about Greenville Tech's president who will retire. What I found interesting about the article was the fact that Greenville Tech is the 3rd largest college in the state after Clemson and USC. Tech has 15,000 students between the four Greenville area campus locations. I had no idea it was that large.

Article from Greenville News:

http://www.wyff4.com/education/16718694/detail.html

An article about Greenville Tech's president who will retire. What I found interesting about the article was the fact that Greenville Tech is the 3rd largest college in the state after Clemson and USC. Tech has 15,000 students between the four Greenville area campus locations. I had no idea it was that large.

Article from Greenville News:

http://www.wyff4.com/education/16718694/detail.html

I would really like to see Greenville Tech become Greenville University (or some other name) to better serve the residents of the Greater Greenville area. It is already an excellent technical/community college and it makes sense to expand its offerings to include bachelor's degrees as well. There is certainly a market for it, considering Greenville does not have a public four-year university. Plenty of students who earn their associates degree from Greenville Tech are not able to attend other Upstate universities due to grades or finances, and offering bachelor's degrees at GT would fill that void. I think this would also pay dividends for economic development in the upstate, as it would address the shortage of skilled workers our local companies so desperately need. This expansion would be easy, as the current campus seems big enough to accommodate more buildings and dormitories.

Okay, rant over. :P

I would really like to see Greenville Tech become Greenville University (or some other name) to better serve the residents of the Greater Greenville area. It is already an excellent technical/community college and it makes sense to expand its offerings to include bachelor's degrees as well. There is certainly a market for it, considering Greenville does not have a public four-year university. Plenty of students who earn their associates degree from Greenville Tech are not able to attend other Upstate universities due to grades or finances, and offering bachelor's degrees at GT would fill that void. I think this would also pay dividends for economic development in the upstate, as it would address the shortage of skilled workers our local companies so desperately need. This expansion would be easy, as the current campus seems big enough to accommodate more buildings and dormitories.

Agreed.

Hasn't Tech added a couple of four year programs recently?

• 2 weeks later...

The coming soon sign located at the top of the building in the pic might tell you. ;) Future home of Carolina Dermatology.

Yeah, I saw that, but I was under the impression this was a multi use building. The reason I ask, I heard that the Carolina Ballet Theater was getting funds to build a new building somewhere on Woodruff. When you look at this building up close, it looks multi tenant. With the curved front wall and the size, if it is all dermatology, then we Greenvillians have some serious skin issues. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting story about the growth of Lacrosse in South Carolina. The focus is on the Greenville area, and the growth of the sport in the area schools. Story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/2008-...se-growth_N.htm

I am glad to read this. I have never played lacrosse, but find it to be a really great sport. I am not surprised that the Greenville metro has embraced it like it has. :thumbsup:

I was actually looking at the Clemson lacrosse team's roster a few months ago. It is only a club team at this point, and not a varsity sport (although I hope it will become one soon!). It is interesting to see how just about all of the South Carolina players are from the Upstate, with most of the rest being from the Northeast.

http://clemson.ialax.com/index.php?section=roster

I am glad to read this. I have never played lacrosse, but find it to be a really great sport. I am not surprised that the Greenville metro has embraced it like it has. :thumbsup:

I was actually looking at the Clemson lacrosse team's roster a few months ago. It is only a club team at this point, and not a varsity sport (although I hope it will become one soon!). It is interesting to see how just about all of the South Carolina players are from the Upstate, with most of the rest being from the Northeast.

http://clemson.ialax.com/index.php?section=roster

That is interesting. I've always thought of this as more of a Northeastern type sport. Great to see it has caught on in Greenville. What would Clemson need to do for this to become a varsity sport?

My daughter plays for Hillcrest. She started playing two years ago after a career-ending hockey injury.

I've noticed some of the high school teams playing on Saturdays at Serene Stadium. Fun sport to watch.

When are you daughter's games typically? Afterschool? Evenings? Weekends? Curious if the games draw a good crowd.

That is interesting. I've always thought of this as more of a Northeastern type sport. Great to see it has caught on in Greenville. What would Clemson need to do for this to become a varsity sport?

I don't know that it will become a varsity sport anytime soon. Title IX requires that any college or university accepting federal funds (i.e., most of them) promote equal opportunities for both men and women. This was the reason why Clemson dropped its successful men's wrestling program in the 90's and replaced it with women's rowing (which has been quite successful too). I am not sure how compliant Clemson is with regard to Title IX, but my guess is that any new sport added is likely to be a women's sport.

It also comes down to money, and for a public school it is difficult to add sports these days. The good thing for lacrosse is that it doesn't seem to be very expensive. Clemson already has a great soccer field that could be used for lacrosse games. Uniform and equipment costs should not be very much either. So if Clemson feels that there is an interest, and students push for it, I would like to think it would happen. I have heard other fans mention their desire for women's softball or women's golf to be added next, but I would prefer women's lacrosse.

I've noticed some of the high school teams playing on Saturdays at Serene Stadium. Fun sport to watch.

When are you daughter's games typically? Afterschool? Evenings? Weekends? Curious if the games draw a good crowd.

I don't get to attend many because of my work schedule, but they are usually in the evenings, before the boys' game. Attendance is in the hundreds. She plays in summer leagues as well. :)

The Great American Pastime Baseball League is now registering players for the Fall 2008 season, which begins August 24. If you're 28 or older, and are looking to play real baseball once a week, then check it out. There's tons of info on the website, or you can PM me if you have any questions.

Also, there's an information meeting on Sunday Aug. 3rd at 1:00 p.m. at Woodside Mill Park in Simpsonville for anyone who'd like to meet a few veteran players, a couple of Managers, or the Commissioner. :)

Edited by Galley