Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Not sure of the best place for this, but the word on the street is that Greenville has instituted a teen curfew for Falls Park. Teenagers must now be accompanied by an adult after 9 PM. This is in response to the recent gatherings of teenagers in Falls Park, including the time or two when police were called.

Greenville is also considering a general curfew for young people as well. I support this, and feel that it will be effective as the city moves forward. Thoughts?

Not sure of the best place for this, but the word on the street is that Greenville has instituted a teen curfew for Falls Park. Teenagers must now be accompanied by an adult after 9 PM. This is in response to the recent gatherings of teenagers in Falls Park, including the time or two when police were called.

Greenville is also considering a general curfew for young people as well. I support this, and feel that it will be effective as the city moves forward. Thoughts?

Excellent news! I 100% agree. Anything Greenville can do to disperse this weekly gathering of 200 plus teens, I am for....(loitering laws, noise violations, curfews, etc). Go Greenville! :thumbsup: 200 teens blocking the entrances to restaurants......fighting......creating an uneasy air.......just not acceptable in the center of our city that has done so much to move forward positively. If these teens want to hang out in groups that large, they should go to ballgames or go the movies or have a big party every weekend at someones house.

Perhaps the real answer is not being a nanny state with teen curfews, but addressing the root cause of the issue. Likely that is nothing for teens to do in Greenville. I grew up in this area (not Greenville itself) and it was very difficult to find something to do. If teens had a place to go this might curb the issue as well. Note that I do not know the offerings out there today.

In general I don't think that curfews are something that the government should be involved, the parents should.

Perhaps the real answer is not being a nanny state with teen curfews, but addressing the root cause of the issue. Likely that is nothing for teens to do in Greenville. I grew up in this area (not Greenville itself) and it was very difficult to find something to do. If teens had a place to go this might curb the issue as well. Note that I do not know the offerings out there today.

In general I don't think that curfews are something that the government should be involved, the parents should.

I disagree about this making Greenville a "nanny state." Teens aren't yet adults, and do not have the rights that adults have. They are minors, and as a result they cannot vote, cannot purchase cigarettes, cannot serve in the military, etc. They are not autonomous. Thus, restricting how late they can stay out without parental supervision is perfectly appropriate here.

If Greenville were trying to restrict how late adults could stay out, that would be a different story altogether.

As for giving teens things to do, who is supposed to invest in such an endeavor? Will you be among the first to risk thousands of your own dollars to start an entertainment complex/midnight basketball league/teen center?

Edited by Greenville

I disagree about this making Greenville a "nanny state." Teens aren't yet adults, and do not have the rights that adults have. They are minors, and as a result they cannot vote, cannot purchase cigarettes, cannot serve in the military, etc. They are not autonomous. Thus, restricting how late they can stay out without parental supervision is perfectly appropriate here.

If Greenville were trying to restrict how late adults could stay out, that would be a different story altogether.

As for giving teens things to do, who is supposed to invest in such an endeavor? Will you be among the first to risk thousands of your own dollars to start an entertainment complex/midnight basketball league/teen center?

I view it as the government doing the parent's job - hence the nanny state comment.

I don't have the money to risk, and quite frankly it's not my area of "expertise". Asking that question of me is like asking someone else on here if they are fronting the money for any of the Greenville projects they want to see get done.

I'm merely pointing out that there has always been a severe lack of things for teens in the Greenville area to do which leads to some of what you are seeing.

As a former teenager, I am 100% against this. Its letting one group of kids ruin it for they other kids. I think most teenagers are not out to make trouble, they just want to be out. They can't go to the mall, and if they can't go downtown, where are they supposed to go?

As a former teenager, I am 100% against this. Its letting one group of kids ruin it for they other kids. I think most teenagers are not out to make trouble, they just want to be out. They can't go to the mall, and if they can't go downtown, where are they supposed to go?

Their own neighborhoods, where they become territorial and promote gang sort of activity?? :dontknow:

Indeed. Though its worth pointing out that in this day an age, most neighborhoods outside of the core urban areas are so sterile that they lack any informal gathering places. Parks have become these giant wooded areas that you have to drive to (thus making it impossible for many teenagers to get to by themselves). The great ones are integrated into the urban environment, and thus attract a lot of people who don't have to drive to get there (even though it may draw people from further away who do). Its ironic that Falls Park, being a great park, has to take these measures.

I heard some news today that might affect Greenville. Fenway Park was supposed to host the ACC Baseball Tournament in 2009, but due to a scheduling error at Fenway it was moved to 2010. So now the ACC is looking for a ballpark for the 2009 tournament. I don't know if Fluor Field at the West End is large enough to accommodate the crowds they are expecting, but wouldn't it be great to see Greenville make a run at this? I believe the ACC Baseball Tournament used to be held in Greenville at Municipal Stadium. I know Greenville would be a fantastic host city. Thoughts?

I heard some news today that might affect Greenville. Fenway Park was supposed to host the ACC Baseball Tournament in 2009, but due to a scheduling error at Fenway it was moved to 2010. So now the ACC is looking for a ballpark for the 2009 tournament. I don't know if Fluor Field at the West End is large enough to accommodate the crowds they are expecting, but wouldn't it be great to see Greenville make a run at this? I believe the ACC Baseball Tournament used to be held in Greenville at Municipal Stadium. I know Greenville would be a fantastic host city. Thoughts?

That would be a great boost for Greenville! I hope they at least take a look at what there is to offer here. I would think that additional seating could easily be arranged, if it was thought to be needed. I'm sure the management would be thrilled to have such exposure for the ballpark that they'd be willing to make some adjustments...

If I remember correctly, the ACC Tournament was a HUGE hit at Municipal Stadium. But they moved it because the non-Clemson schools complained. The attendance plummeted and has stunk ever since.

The ACC is biased toward the North Carolina schools, so I don't doubt that they complained about it being in Greenville. I hope the city of Greenville as well as the execs at Fluor Field at the West End can contact someone at the ACC office about submitting a bid. It might be a long shot, but I would still like to see us make a run at it. :thumbsup:

Flour Field is hosting the Southern Conference baseball tournament in 2009, and I imagine that would preclude them from hosting the ACC tournament because the schedules would overlap.

^I didn't realize the SEC tournament was going to be in Greenville. Good to know. Even still, the ACC could have a run theirs some time in the future.

The ACC is biased toward the North Carolina schools, so I don't doubt that they complained about it being in Greenville.

We've known that for quite some time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it having been mentioned somewhere already but can someone please explain the reason/significance for the new highway emblems that are painted onto the road's surface at the 85/385 interchange? Yeah, when you're driving you can see them on the road in front of you, but does anyone really need them with the normal highway signage already in place?

I was thinking that maybe it was for the downtown airport or something...I dunno?

Ya'll know what "signage" I'm talking about?

Maybe I missed it having been mentioned somewhere already but can someone please explain the reason/significance for the new highway emblems that are painted onto the road's surface at the 85/385 interchange? Yeah, when you're driving you can see them on the road in front of you, but does anyone really need them with the normal highway signage already in place?

I was thinking that maybe it was for the downtown airport or something...I dunno?

Other than just looking cool I was thinking it would be a lot easier for vehicles that are taller, for example semi-trucks, etc. to see. Also they are a lot more visual and user friendly that the giant green signs overhead. At least for some people anyway. Maybe it's for the people using GPS to know they are really over the sign! My wife has the newer iPhone 3G with the GPS mixed with Google Maps. As we were driving down 85 the other day I joked that we were right over that giant 85 sign in the middle of the road (their wasn't one their in the Chesnee area) but it was kind of a funny joke and would have been really funny if their had been a giant 85 sign painted on the road at that spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, and I was actually *startled* the first time I saw them. Great idea, though, IMO. A bit of an "early warning system" there at Malfunction Junction is not a bad thing. ^_^