Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Finally....a great haircut in Greenville. A true barber cut! Crisp, clean and neat to the point of antiseptic!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Just went in for the first time this week.

IMG_2866.jpg

Really hope this little area becomes a solid anchor for the Wade Hampton end of Stone. Along with the barber, Fix is good coffee and Shinola is a pretty fun place. The seeds have been planted.....hope to see this area bloom.

http://www.shinolaartandantiques.com/about.htm

Edited by gsupstate

The Cliffs Communities, headquartered in Travelers Rest, continues to gain a better international reputation. Travel + Leisure Golf Magazine, an international publication, has ranked The Cliffs #5 on its annual list of America's Top 100 Communities, according to the January/February issue. The collection of golf and wellness neighborhoods has been on the list four consecutive years now, soaring to #7 on last year's list. According to a recent Greenville News article, Cliffs Real Estate Inc., president Scott Beville says that "more than 100 families have joined The Cliffs in the past six months"

Home sites in the communities sell from $200,000 to more than $3 million, and custom homes are priced from $700,000 to $5 million.

• 2 weeks later...

This could be a hoax, but it was sent to me via e-mail, so I thought I'd share and see what's up...

DRIVERS BEWARE!!!

> This information was passed on to me so I'm passing it on.

>

The Snap-On tool rep made his weekly rounds at the shop yesterday

afternoon but was running an hour later than normal. They All asked him

why he was late and he was telling them how he'd gotten pulled on the

lower end of Lauren's Road and was written a citation for going 5 Miles

over the speed limit. The guy couldnt believe he was being written a

citation for such a small overage and questioned the officer. The

Officer then told him that their Chief, the Chief of Greenville City

Police told All the patrolmen to start pulling folks for anything and

everything.

That with all the budget cuts the state is incurring a portion of their

salary will rely on citations. The Snap-On rep told them the city

officer stated they were going to start pulling cars for lights out,

cracked windshields, broken tail lights, speeding (even if its just 1

mile over), etc. minor things that in the past they didnt really pay

attention to.

Also said

there will be more and more check points in the city limits too. Tim &

I truly believe if the City of Greenville is starting this it won't be

long before County & State troopers begin the same. Greer has already

begun.

I know of 2 people who have been given tickets for going 2-5 miles over

the limit in Greer. So we wanted to share this information with

everyone.

Also, I can personally tell you that the lower end of Lauren's Road

between Highway 290 and East Washington Street is monitored hot and

heavy and this is where the Snap-On tool rep was pulled. On Tuesday

coming in to the office I counted 12 city cars. If they didnt have

someone stopped they were cruising back and forth. So, information

shared, drive safe!

Has anyone had any ridiculous tickets issued to them? Being out of Greenville, I can't comment on the validity.

This could be a hoax, but it was sent to me via e-mail, so I thought I'd share and see what's up...

Has anyone had any ridiculous tickets issued to them? Being out of Greenville, I can't comment on the validity.

Has to be false. Haven't noticed this at all. Additionally, the article states people are being ticketed for cracked windows, etc.....these type of tickets would actually cost the city money (in both time and paper). Unless I'm wrong, if you are pulled over for something like a cracked window, the ticket doesn't cost you anything....it simply says the issue with your vehicle must be fixed in so many days or you pay a fine....so if you get the vehicle fixed, no money goes to the city.

Has anyone here ever heard of Aeronix, Inc.? According to their website, they are "an employee-owned systems engineering and custom electronics development company, specializing in communications and data acquisition technologies for a variety of aerospace, government, U.S. Department of Defense and consumer electronics applications." While a small business, headquartered in Florida, they also have a presence in Greenville in the form of Aeronix Commercial Services. The local office employs 15, the corporate HQ in FL 41.

I brought it up because an interesting article published on FloridaToday.com mentions that the company is planning to hire an undisclosed number of additional engineers within the next few months. The fact that they have an office in Greenville indicates Greenville's strength as an aerospace cluster. :shades:

Ryan's has closed restaurants on Highway 123 in Easley and on Woodruff Road in Greenville.

Charter Communications will file for bankruptcy in April according to the Wall Street Journal.

The Simpsonville and Traveler's Rest Chevrolet locations have both closed. Didn't the one in Travelers Rest just open a few months ago? :blink::wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for everyone. While my wife has a point and shoot digital camera, I have a film SLR camera that takes fantastic pics. But I have noticed that since Walmart stopped developing film a few months ago, all of the drug stores have gone way up on their prices. They now want $8 to develop one roll of film! :angry: Onyone know of a place where one can develop film without breaking the bank?

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but check out this cool website, Metromix Greenville. They have lots of good info on local and regional restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc... Seems to be a nicely arranged site and definitely a good tool to share with friends and business acquaintances. :)

Just as FYI, it appears that this is a "2.0" version of The Greenville News' "Upstate Link" product. Out of curiosity, I googled "Upstate Link," and Metromix Greenville is the first site to come up on the results list. The Greenville News is listed at the bottom of the site as a "partner," but I believe Gannett Newspapers owns Metromix as sort of a "franchise."

I did the "Art Walk" in Charleston on Friday night, where many of the galleries stay open late and serve wine, cheese, and sometimes other light refreshments to patrons. It's all free, of course, and there is no pressure to buy anything. It was great fun, and there were tons of people out doing the same thing. I thought that Greenville would also be a perfect city for an "art walk." The West End, with its many art galleries along Main, Augusta, and of course in RiverPlace, would be a fantastic host. I'm not sure how often Charleston does the Art Walk, but I think it is a fairly regular event. Do you guys know if Greenville ever has anything like this? If not, do you think it is something that would work?

Edited by Greenville

I agree that such a regular event would be perfect for the city, not to mention the downtown businesses and galleries still open at that time. :shades:

Did anyone else hear or read that Art In The Park has been cancelled for 2009 and is planned to return in September, 2010? The move was made because of the current economy. :cry:

Edited by Skyliner

That sounds like it'd be great for Greenville. Maybe a special trolley service to the West Greenville artist studios would be warranted as well...?

Additionally, it'd be nice if they could organize a night (biweekly, weekly, or monthly) that would invite people downtown to SHOP (and of course spend time, eat dinner, and spend money as a result). It wouldn't have to be marketed to a great extent because of the number of people downtown on any given night. The ultimate goal would be to get the retail establishments to stay open until 10 or so? I think if it were organized, stores would participate. An indirect result down the road could be a greater number of stores open at night. Anyway, it'd be another reason to visit downtown, produce some income for the stores dt, and possibly get some to extend hours...

I did the "Art Walk" in Charleston on Friday night, where many of the galleries stay open late and serve wine, cheese, and sometimes other light refreshments to patrons. It's all free, of course, and there is no pressure to buy anything. It was great fun, and there were tons of people out doing the same thing. I thought that Greenville would also be a perfect city for an "art walk." The West End, with its many art galleries along Main, Augusta, and of course in RiverPlace, would be a fantastic host. I'm not sure how often Charleston does the Art Walk, but I think it is a fairly regular event. Do you guys know if Greenville ever has anything like this? If not, do you think it is something that would work?

Open Studios.....would like to see it expand to include more dates throughout the year, but a great event along the lines of the one you attended.

http://www.greenvillearts.com/programs/open_studios.aspx