Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Open Studios.....would like to see it expand to include more dates throughout the year, but a great event along the lines of the one you attended.

http://www.greenvillearts.com/programs/open_studios.aspx

I have heard of this, and agree that it is a great idea that needs to be extended throughout the year. I wonder if most of the galleries provide free wine? With regard to Charleston's art walk, I feel that the wine is as big a draw as the art for many people who want something fun, different, and free to do. The obvious side effect is that it forces many people who just came for the wine to look at some interesting art in the process, and hopefully gain an appreciation for some of it. I think it gets some people out of their comfort zones who might feel too intimidated to go to an art gallery any other time.

• 1 month later...

I was reading my South Carolina Encyclopedia last night (yes I'm a dork), and I learned a fun fact about Duke's Mayonnaise. I had no idea that it was created by Ms. Duke (go figure) from Greenville, and it is still produced there. If it ain't Duke's, it ain't mayonnaise.

I was reading my South Carolina Encyclopedia last night (yes I'm a dork), and I learned a fun fact about Duke's Mayonnaise. I had no idea that it was created by Ms. Duke (go figure) from Greenville, and it is still produced there. If it ain't Duke's, it ain't mayonnaise.

Yet their jars have Richmond, VA as the address. Because of that, I assumed that it was made there now.

Yet their jars have Richmond, VA as the address. Because of that, I assumed that it was made there now.

Duke's is made right off Laurens Road, not too far south of the new Millennium Campus St. Francis building. I think the factory actually employees a good number of people, as they make a variety of products.

:yahoo: Charter is finally getting some competition in the Greenville and Upstate markets. Article from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...EWS01/904280314

It's a shame we don't know timeline. I've had my fill of Charter after the issue I had this weekend with my DVR and the (lack of) support. My wife and I had been considering moving to AT&T + DirecTV but I had been hoping for UVerse after hearing about it online. Call me today AT&T for UVerse and I'll sign up

Looks like swine flu may officially be in the Greenville metro. Now I know why I saw two people last night in Best Buy wearing surgical mask. So is swine flu a real crisis or media drama?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...0/YOURUPSTATE01

Were they wearing the masks to make a fashion statement? Because the masks don't serve any purpose in stopping the flu virus - it passes through them easily - unless they have a full blown respirator in them.

Were they wearing the masks to make a fashion statement? Because the masks don't serve any purpose in stopping the flu virus - it passes through them easily - unless they have a full blown respirator in them.

If they were trying to make a statement, then they were fashion victims. :lol:

I didn't think the mask really would do anything. I also don't think I buy into the hype that this flu is so dire. :dontknow: As I do fly alot, I'm trying to gauge what my level of concern should be. :dontknow:

Isn't there a future doctor on this forum that can advise? Hint.

If they were trying to make a statement, then they were fashion victims. :lol:

I didn't think the mask really would do anything. I also don't think I buy into the hype that this flu is so dire. :dontknow: As I do fly alot, I'm trying to gauge what my level of concern should be. :dontknow:

Isn't there a future doctor on this forum that can advise? Hint.

:lol:

Personally, I think it is being blown out of proportion by the media. After all, that is what they do. Remember the bird flu from a few years ago?

With that said, the crazy thing about the swine flu is that it has been killing people in Mexico who are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. In other words, healthy people with supposedly normal immune systems. This is in contrast to the "regular" flu, which only seems to kill those with weakened immune systems (e.g., the very young and very old). It should be pointed out that of the 150+ people in Mexico who have died from this, less than 10 have been confirmed as swine flu. The rest are merely suspected of being swine flu.

To my knowledge, the cases of swine flu in the U.S. have been relatively mild. The reason it's been such a media story here is because of the virus's potential. In other words, the experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Department of Health and Human Services don't really know what to make of this, because it's a "new" virus and its effects are relatively unknown. Moreover, the swine flu's strain - H1N1 - is not part of this year's flu vaccine, so even those who were vaccinated are not protected. Since each year's flu vaccine is a "guess" based on the previous year's virus, you can bet that it will be part of next year's vaccine!

If you are reasonably healthy and have a normal immune system, I don't think you should worry. If you are exposed, it could make you sick but you probably won't die from it (i.e., it will feel like the regular flu, which is rough but better than dying!). Just take the normal precautions to avoid illness (washing hands, keeping your antibacterial lotion on hand, avoiding sick people as much as possible, getting plenty of rest, etc.). In my opinion, this thing would have to seriously affect many Americans for me to feel the need to wear a mask in public and/or become a recluse - and I work in a hospital every day.

Hope this helps!

This Standard Poodle was adorable! He was hanging out on Main with his master. At first I wasn't sure he was a Poodle, or assumed he had been given dreads on purpose. After talking with his master, she said it was all natural. The hair does that if you let it continue to grow.

IMG_4851.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenville Drive and Fluor Field will host the Southern Conference Baseball Tournament next Wednesday through Sunday. There should be a lot of good action here - the SoCon is rated 7th out of 31 Division I conferences in the nation and could get three teams in the NCAA Tournament this year. Furman, The Citadel and College of Charleston are instate teams who should be playing.

http://www.greenvilledrive.com/news/index....?article_id=455

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...;ATCLID=1579095

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tragically, Billy Mays was found dead in his Florida home this morning. He was 50.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...0,6116879.story

I consider this Greenville-related for two reasons: One, because he and his wife have a home in Greer (I believe they built it within the last year). And two, because we had a discussion a few months ago about Liquid Highway's quest to "find Billy Mays." Their plan was to give him free coffee for life in exchange for him doing a commercial for them.

Very sad news. By all indications, he was a nice guy (I know someone who occasionally saw him at the Eastside YMCA).

Wow, that is shocking. It is also somewhat amazing to note how many well-known celebrities have died in less than a week.

In other breaking news, the U.S. men's soccer team is winning the Confederations Cup final against Brazil, 2-1 with less than one half left to play in regulation. (The game is currently airing live on ESPN.) This comes after an extremely improbable but necessary 3-0 victory over Egypt (with Brazil simultaneously knocking off Italy 3-0, which was also needed for the U.S. to advance) and a 2-0 shocker to defeat the #1 team in the World, Spain. This is a huge development for the many soccer fans in the U.S., including right here in the Upstate. We have lots of great youth and high school soccer teams in the region, including a very large soccer academy, CESA.

Tragically, Billy Mays was found dead in his Florida home this morning. He was 50.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...0,6116879.story

I consider this Greenville-related for two reasons: One, because he and his wife have a home in Greer (I believe they built it within the last year). And two, because we had a discussion a few months ago about Liquid Highway's quest to "find Billy Mays." Their plan was to give him free coffee for life in exchange for him doing a commercial for them.

Very sad news. By all indications, he was a nice guy (I know someone who occasionally saw him at the Eastside YMCA).

Billy Mays as in the Orange Glo / Oxy Clean / Etc / Etc commercials? He had a house in the Greenville are? Never knew.