Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Wow, that is shocking. It is also somewhat amazing to note how many well-known celebrities have died in less than a week.

In other breaking news, the U.S. men's soccer team is winning the Confederations Cup final against Brazil, 2-1 with less than one half left to play in regulation. (The game is currently airing live on ESPN.) This comes after an extremely improbable but necessary 3-0 victory over Egypt (with Brazil simultaneously knocking off Italy 3-0, which was also needed for the U.S. to advance) and a 2-0 shocker to defeat the #1 team in the World, Spain. This is a huge development for the many soccer fans in the U.S., including right here in the Upstate. We have lots of great youth and high school soccer teams in the region, including a very large soccer academy, CESA.

Tough loss for the U.S., but note that three of the team's starters yesterday played college soccer in the Upstate: two from Furman (Clint Dempsey and Ricardo Clark) and one from Clemson (Onyewu). That's quite a validation of the level of play at our area schools.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are we losing our Southern hospitality and kindness in Greenville? The author of this letter to the editor thinks so:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...mile-at-someone

I honestly don't see what she is talking about. People in Greenville, on the whole, are friendly and pleasant. I don't think people are usually out-of-the-way friendly, but that's a bit much for me anyway. I don't want a city where people stop traffic because they are letting 15 people change lanes in front of them, or store clerks who won't stop chatting after I have paid for my items. If I want that, I'll go to a small town where the pace of life is slow and people have time to sit on their porches, chat, and drink lemonade.

I suppose we're talking about degrees of politeness. Saying "thank you" and smiling at people is something I think we have in Greenville. I hope we keep that as the metro grows and prospers. :thumbsup:

What does everyone else think? Are we losing our hospitality and kindness in Greenville?

• 3 weeks later...

I was exxcited to see this! Greenville now has walking Ghost Tours in downtown on Friday and Saturday nights (through the end of October). I've done ghost tours in Charleston, New Orleans and Savannah.....always liked them. With Greenville's downtown having less history than the three mentioned, I'm curious what this will be like. Planning to check it out. Here is the story from the Greenville News and the website for the tour:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...aunted-downtown

http://greenvilleghost.com/

This article made me think of the whole metro. What areas / places around the metro are supposedly haunted?

Growing up in Birmingham we had this area called "Cry Baby Hollow"....it was a small one lane wooden bridge on this old country road. At midnight, if you parked your car on the bridge and put an animal cracker on the roof, you would hear a baby crawl on the roof, hear the baby cry, and the cookie would be gone. The baby had supposedly drowned when a sudden rainstorm turned the creek into a river. As a teenager, those kinds of things were always great for a bone chilling scare. :cold:

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone explain the major Pittsburgh Steelers connection that we have here in Greenville? I've heard that Greenville has the highest per capita of Steelers fans outside of PA. Part of the reason Quaker Steak opened here was due to this demographic. The new DT's downtown is Steelers central.....yesterday while at Fall for Greenville, duck in for a second.....one of the guys working there had on a Steelers T-shirt and there were Steelers banners in a multiple places within the bar. Apparently Steelers fans hang out there. Several flights into Greenville I've noticed Steelers jerseys and even Steelers tattoos on people. So my question is why? What is the connection? This is much more of a connection that the average city has for the Steelers. :dontknow:

I've been wondering if DT's is connected to Dixie Tavern, which sits directly across the street. Your post may have validated my hunch. Dixie Tavern has been well known locally as a Steelers bar.

Regarding the Pittsburgh-Greenville connection, I'd guess it has plenty to do with both family ties and fan pride. There are lots of people living here from other cities, yet they seem to lack the team/city spirit Pitt has long been famous for. I for one am the son of a former Pittsburgh native. I cheer equally for the Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure most of you are aware that the daytime TV soap show 'As The World Turns' recently shot a few scenes in Greenville. Below is a video of a portion of an episode with the Greenville-Pickens Speedway (0:38) and Falls Park on the Reedy (5:20). A large poster of a recent G Magazine cover also made an appearance in the show (3:37).

I'm sure most of you are aware that the daytime TV soap show 'As The World Turns' recently shot a few scenes in Greenville. Below is a video of a portion of an episode with the Greenville-Pickens Speedway (0:38) and Falls Park on the Reedy (5:20). A large poster of a recent G Magazine cover also made an appearance in the show (3:37).

Other portions of the show have a few nice shots of Downtown:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldTurner#p/u/17/Bov8q4TikEw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldTurner#p/u/12/HNJfGtEQlNk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They've been working on this off and on for several weeks now, but it looks like there will be an electronic traffic sign mounted on I-385 soon. This is approx. 1/2 mile from the end of I-385 in downtown Greenville.

post-16665-12610622904532_thumb.jpg

Bonus points if you know what kind of vehicle I am in. ;)

They've been working on this off and on for several weeks now, but it looks like there will be an electronic traffic sign mounted on I-385 soon. This is approx. 1/2 mile from the end of I-385 in downtown Greenville.

Glad to see this going up. I noticed that they have one on I-26 heading into Columbia, and the last few times I have driven that way it has actually been used to estimate driving times to upcoming exits. I wondered why we did not use ours for this same purpose, so hopefully that is what this new one is about.

In the past, ours seem to be off unless there is an amber alert. :silly:

Haha, it's neat seeing Greenville on a TV show I suppose, but that is some awful acting and camera work. Gotta love those soaps...