Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Haha, it's neat seeing Greenville on a TV show I suppose, but that is some awful acting and camera work. Gotta love those soaps...

Some of the camera work looks like something someone was shooting with a home camcorder. Awful. Do they really show the signs like that in the show.? It does seem very corny. Anyway, I am kinda surprised that Falls Park has not been used in a movie or something. Maybe I am just prejudiced though.

Edited by distortedlogic

• 2 weeks later...

An observation. I was just watching WYFF news and they had the story about the portion of 385 in Laurens County being closed. They made a comment that it is an inconvenience for families all over the state coming to the Shriners Children's Hospital. I guess I always assumed all large cities had a Shriners Children's Hospital, but just looked and found out Greenville is the only one in SC. I guess with all the medical in Charleston and Columbia being the capital, I assumed there would be one in those cities. WYFF gave a shockingly high number of patients/families that travel from all over the state. Just an interesting observation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners_Hospitals_for_Children

An observation. I was just watching WYFF news and they had the story about the portion of 385 in Laurens County being closed. They made a comment that it is an inconvenience for families all over the state coming to the Shriners Children's Hospital. I guess I always assumed all large cities had a Shriners Children's Hospital, but just looked and found out Greenville is the only one in SC. I guess with all the medical in Charleston and Columbia being the capital, I assumed there would be one in those cities. WYFF gave a shockingly high number of patients/families that travel from all over the state. Just an interesting observation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners_Hospitals_for_Children

Our Shriners Hospital does a lot of good things for kids with orthopedic problems, and we are definitely fortunate to have them in Greenville. They are fully charitable, and do not charge patients anything. As recently as six months ago, there was concern that our Shriners would close but local efforts (including fundraising) assured that it will stay open. Shriners hospitals in many other cities are supposedly in Jeopardy due to the same funding issues.

The Shriners Hospital in Augusta is a highly regarded burn center and receives referrals from the entire Southeast (much as the Greenville Shriners does for orthopedic problems).

Edited by Greenville

Our Shriners Hospital does a lot of good things for kids with orthopedic problems, and we are definitely fortunate to have them in Greenville. They are fully charitable, and do not charge patients anything. As recently as six months ago, there was concern that our Shriners would close but local efforts (including fundraising) assured that it will stay open. Shriners hospitals in many other cities are supposedly in Jeopardy due to the same funding issues.

The Shriners Hospital in Augusta is a highly regarded burn center and receives referrals from the entire Southeast (much as the Greenville Shriners does for orthopedic problems).

Great info. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Good article from the Greenville News on recent improvements at several area parks. Approximately 50 million worth of additions and renovations, including a couple of new dog parks....one at the The Pavilion and one at Pelham Mill Park.

Details in the article:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100131/NEWS/1310316/Nine-expanded-parks-to-open-in-Greenville-County

• 2 weeks later...

So is anyone else having problems with urban planet on pretty much a daily basis? I try to visit the site daily, but often times hours go by and the site will not load no matter how many times I refresh. It also seems like it's only mornings and earlier in the day when it is down...usually loads late at night with no problem. It isn't my internet connection, all other websites are fine. I'm not aware of any site maintenance going on and I don't think there are too many users logged on to slow it down that much. I've also tried going straight to the main page instead of the Greenville forum with no luck.

Definitely seems to be experiencing technical issues. I've had problems loading the Greenville home page in the past, however it seems to be working fine now. My main concern at this point, as it has been for at least a year now, is the way every page loads much slower than most peer sites on the Internet, regardless of the browser used. It seems that each time you visit a page on the forum, it goes through a process that suddenly increases the demand on a PC's resources until the page is loaded, then repeats whenever you visit another page on the site. I realize this isn't a clear explanation, so please forgive me for any misunderstanding. Having said that, I haven't experienced much difficulty opening the site (eventually) and navigating to this sub-forum, however these minor hassles have been a major contributor to my significantly lower frequency of visits.

Edited by Skyliner

• 1 month later...

Portfolio.com just ranked the top 100 "Fun" U.S. cities........silly ranking I know, but fun. :lol:

Charleston came in 40th

Greenville came in 60th

Columbia came in 79th

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2010/04/living-it-up-the-top-100-fun-cities

Neat! We are #31 in shopping. :shades:

Funny, we're ranked #6 in the gambling category, which includes gambling and gambling industries. :lol:

OMG!!! It is Liberty Bridge #2............check this out. A friend today told me about the new Canopy Walk in Atlanta's Botanical Garden (I believe the bridge/walk opens this week or next). The idea, the design, etc, etc IS Liberty Bridge. Imagine that....Atlanta copies little old Greenville. :lol: Check out the link:

http://atlantabotanicalgarden.org/site/involvement/canopy_walk

• Like 1