Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Clt, Have you looked at the plans for the Haywood corridor? Aka: the area that will be branded as "Uptown"? The aim is a mixed-use district that utilizes new urbanism development techniques, which, entails better connectivity and promotes mass transportation. Yes, it will increase density, population, and office space. It will also give the area an entirely new "feel"-- something that you seem to be caught up in. Nonetheless, the point is this: Greenville has a desire to act on an opportunity that will reinvent an area, and reinvest in itself. It's not aiming to be some place else. It is what it is.

Gville....I have looked at the plans and I agree with what you said. Although I think the name is a little silly, it is a good thing to update outdated development patterns. If you don't, you will regret it at some point. I hope more cities look at those opportunities as well since it reduces the need for more and more sprawl. The added benefit is that the overall streetscape, walkability etc...are all enhanced in addition to the increased use of transit. Not sure what you mean by the "feel" comment. Earlier comments about comparisons with Lenox and Southpark were in response to upstate's original comparisons nothing more than that.

To be clear, I do not have a problem with what you are trying to accomplish in Greenville but, where I think this whole conversation went off line was/is the constant infactuation with bashing Columbia. Although I like Columbia, I have never lived in Columbia and actually am originally from the upstate. If anyone wants to talk about development on its merits (why or why not things happen in development), have at it but, if anyone is on here simply to bash another city or bring up meaningless surveys pointing out that another city is fat (without even knowing that the selection criteria ie...size of city, could have excluded other cities), that's not the purpose of why people read this site and is a waste of time.

Well look at that, little 'ol Greenville is being compared to big city Charlotte! Tiny and insignificant Greenville, population 56,000, compared to Charlotte and all of its high-falutin' city folk! Who woulda thunk it?!? laugh.gif

No, I am not comparing Charlotte with Greenville. There is little value in comparing cities.

Well look at that, little 'ol Greenville is being compared to big city Charlotte! Tiny and insignificant Greenville, population 56,000, compared to Charlotte and all of its high-falutin' city folk! Who woulda thunk it?!? :lol:

It is weird how so many out-of-towners are concerned with Greenville and Greenville's plans for the future. Funny............

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville is continuely bashed by detractors as not being liberal, accepting, open. After several years here, my partner and I fail to see a lack of acceptance, in fact, as a gay couple, we have been happier here than any larger city we have lived in prior. Anyway, one more nail in the coffin that Greenville is not accepting / liberal. The Greenville Symphony now has a gay / lesbian network. Link to the Facebook page announcement from the Greenville Symphony:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Greenville-Symphony-Orchestra/109035541490

• 1 month later...

Anyone else find this funny?

http://www.foxcarolina.com/traffic/24106213/detail.html

In the article, is this quote:

"Richardson said in one area of Pelham, drivers often ignore traffic lights and the basic rules of the road"

Then the next paragraph talks about new signs being installed that will help lower wrecks.

IMO, if drivers are currently ignoring traffic lights, won't they ignore new signs?

I find these additional signs not only a waste of taxpayer dollars, but just more road litter / clutter.

So all the engineers at SCDOT could come up with was shinier, more reflective signs? I really don't think they'll help anything. Idiots will be idiots, the ones who don't pay attention to the rules of the road are the ones who don't care about anyone else's safety anyways so this is just pointless.

• 1 month later...

The anticipation of checking and following Knox White's twitter posts is even greater for myself than reading the TBA's in the Journal. This might have to do with the decline of what is rumored and reported in the TBA's. But, nonetheless, it's nice to have some exciting updates that are truly behind-the-scenes once again. Sorry, Greenville Journal. :ermm:

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown was absolutely amazing on Saturday evening/night. People of all ages (lots of families with small children included) and seemingly every ethnicity filled the sidewalks, plazas, parks, restaurants, bars, and whatever retail shops, galleries and theatres were open late. The weather was very comfortable and everyone seemed happy. As usual, I saw many vehicles from various nearby and distant states. Greenville is indeed a special city and I feel undeservedly blessed to live in such a pleasant place.

Nothing extraordinary, but thought this accurate observation would be encouraging to someone in need of positive "news".

A star sighting in Greenville. Wish he would have had his bud Kirstie with him. Maybe he was in town looking for a new location for her trainwreck of a reality show? :lol:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/24664901/detail.html

Apparently Travolta has been in town at various times in the past. I've heard that he has a friend in Greenville and that he will soon be participating in the making of an independent film in SC, mostly set in the Georgetown area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Billy Mays as in the Orange Glo / Oxy Clean / Etc / Etc commercials? He had a house in the Greenville are? Never knew.

This April 2009 article from CNN Money confirmed the report. So unfortunate for his family and the Greenville community.

...He'll take the clients to dinner when he should be home packing up his 7,500-square-foot home in Tampa in preparation for the move to a new, bigger house in Greenville, S.C., near his second wife's family.

This April 2009 article from CNN Money confirmed the report. So unfortunate for his family and the Greenville community.

WSPA reported last year that the house was in Greer (http://www2.wspa.com/news/2009/jun/29/tv_pitchman_billy_mays_dies_at_home-ar-1498/). I've seen several reports that it was on Lake Robinson, and someone posted photos on Flickr showing a five-bay garage ( Billy Mays' Personal House).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple of totally unrelated questions / comments:

- Did anyone get a photo of the NEXT Christmas tree? Without a doubt, the coolest Christmas tree in Greenville and I didn't get a chance to photograph it.

- The new Subway on Augusta Street. Did the city impose the design of the building? I was totally shocked to see the great detail of this building for such a simple business....two story, all brick, great roof detail. Nice for the neighborhood. :thumbsup:

- The new Subway on Augusta Street. Did the city impose the design of the building? I was totally shocked to see the great detail of this building for such a simple business....two story, all brick, great roof detail. Nice for the neighborhood. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure the owner implemented the design and detail on his own accord.

Speaking of Augusta Street, the shopping center that used to contain Eckerd/Rite Aid, and Augusta Grill has gotten a huge makeover. While it looks a hundred times better, I wish they'd torn it down and tried a mixed-use development. I REALLY want to see the area around Historic Lewis Plaza to become an urban node. It's got GREAT bones already, with its streetscaping, block length along Augusta, and its ties to the residential areas on both sides of Augusta Street. All we need are some mixed use projects to impose some greater population density, and structured parking. If I had won the MegaMillions drawing last night, that would have become my little project... :rolleyes:

A couple of totally unrelated questions / comments:

- Did anyone get a photo of the NEXT Christmas tree? Without a doubt, the coolest Christmas tree in Greenville and I didn't get a chance to photograph it.

-I didn't get a picture of the tree but did see it. Pretty sweet looking. :)

-The Subway was designed by DP3: http://www.dp3architects.com/news/dp3-architects-provided-design-services-for-a-new-subway-restaurant-on-augusta-street/ I'm pretty sure it will be the only silver LEED certified Subway in the country. It was the owner's decision to rebuild the restaurant like this. :thumbsup:

Edited by citylife

Speaking of Augusta Street, the shopping center that used to contain Eckerd/Rite Aid, and Augusta Grill has gotten a huge makeover. While it looks a hundred times better, I wish they'd torn it down and tried a mixed-use development. I REALLY want to see the area around Historic Lewis Plaza to become an urban node. It's got GREAT bones already, with its streetscaping, block length along Augusta, and its ties to the residential areas on both sides of Augusta Street. All we need are some mixed use projects to impose some greater population density, and structured parking. If I had won the MegaMillions drawing last night, that would have become my little project... :rolleyes:

Agreed. I drove by it on Saturday and was surprised at how good it looked.

If anything, I'd like for that neighboring Dollar General to depart; seeing that sign is not good for the area's image.

Good to see local business owners thinking this way......Greenville is growing up. :):thumbsup:

-The Subway was designed by DP3: http://www.dp3architects.com/news/dp3-architects-provided-design-services-for-a-new-subway-restaurant-on-augusta-street/ I'm pretty sure it will be the only silver LEED certified Subway in the country. It was the owner's decision to rebuild the restaurant like this. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

I noticed architectural renderings for at least two different projects posted inside the Poinsett Hotel window along Main Street. One is an apparent renovation of the Crescent Center at The Point. The other is a seriously intriguing design and is called "World of Water." Does anyone know more about these? I've heard about World of Water before, but can't recall the details.

• 4 weeks later...