Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

What makes it even more annoying is the fact that the author of the article often is not in charge of writing a title for the publication.  They may give it an appropriate title, but a different person, whom may not even work in the Greenville office, has the responsibility of creating a title that they hope will grab the attention of casual readers and induce more clicks online.  Is the print version correctly written?  I will never know because I am not a customer of this organization.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two incumbent county councilmen defeated in primary and a third (Chairman Willis Meadows) put into a runoff.  Meadows came in 2nd and got less than 1/3 of the vote, so it doesn't bode well for him either.  

With Xanthene Norris' retirement, we are guaranteed to have three or four new members out of 12. 

• Like 2

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber will visit Greenville in November.

"During the 2022 workshop, Baton Rouge business and community leaders will reflect upon important policy issues facing the region and learn how the destination region addresses similar matters, according to BRAC. Topics to be addressed during the trip include development partnerships, inclusive entrepreneurship, business and education partnerships, talent retention and diversifying industries."

Source:  https://www.businessreport.com/business/brac-canvas-trip-heading-to-greenville-south-carolina-this-year

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 5:10 AM, vicupstate said:

Two incumbent county councilmen defeated in primary and a third (Chairman Willis Meadows) put into a runoff.  Meadows came in 2nd and got less than 1/3 of the vote, so it doesn't bode well for him either.  

With Xanthene Norris' retirement, we are guaranteed to have three or four new members out of 12. 

You really can’t make this crap up: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/politics/2022/06/23/greenville-county-republican-party-overturns-primary-election/7710909001/ 

Edited by gman430
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Willis Meadows, County Council Chairman lost yesterday, so three new members plus possibly a fourth. Does anyone know when the state GOP will rule on the Russo-Dill race?  

They are supposed to meet Thursday.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The brief discussion about the Towers 4 in the County Square thread got me in a nostalgic mood (not difficult the older I get), and I got to thinking back to the days when movies were only showing at one theater in town, I guess basically the pre-Bijou days. I was trying to remember what big movies showed at the Tower/Towers 4, but I'm coming up empty. I can remember, e.g., that Jaws and Star Wars showed at the Astro, Blazing Saddles at the Plaza, Rocky at the Camelot and, if I'm not mistaken, Disney films showed at the Mall Cinema, at least in the 70's. But though I went there numerous times, I just can't remember the big movies that played at Bell Tower.  All I can find on the internet is a bill for Airport (1970), but I have no memory of that. Any others, you old-timers?

Oh, and my brother once took me to a Godzilla triple-feature at the Fox before it went....

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Someone threw a bench into the Reedy River this weekend. It's directly behind the Peace Center amphitheater.  It's tough to have nice things when people behave this way. 

They should start screening folks visiting the river for hidden benches…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Someone threw a bench into the Reedy River this weekend. It's directly behind the Peace Center amphitheater.  It's tough to have nice things when people behave this way. 

Thanks for the heads up. The city is on it. No doubt some drunk idiot. Hopefully the cameras catch who did it. If you or anybody else on the forum ever sees an issue like this, contact Greenville Cares: https://greenvillesc.gov/176/Greenville-Cares

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for an existing thread on the Landmark building (because there's sporadic discussion about it on other threads--seemed good to me to bump an existing thread to make additional comments), but I could only  find an archived thread on p.23! Did I miss something? Or has all the chatter about that building over the years been in other threads?

13 hours ago, Skyliner said:

The Today Show (3rd Hour) on NBC this morning featured a segment about "last-minute summer getaways" and they included Travelers Rest and Greenville, S.C.  A very nice little piece with beautiful video from the city and nearby locations.

https://www.today.com/video/plan-a-last-minute-summer-getaway-with-these-travel-tips-146974277730

Yeah nice shout out there, but man we gotta stop all this attention.  Secret gonna be out!

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Random, but I saw Fayetteville NC area is adding an area code. I understand the upstate is scheduled to get another area code in a few years, but how in the world does the upstate not already have 2? Midlands and Coast already have 2, RDU has 2, The Triad has 2, Northern Alabama is actually served by 3.

Could it be a function of city population and not total population? That seems to be a common thread here. GSP has none even close to 100,000. Fayetteville has over 200k city. Huntsville is now "bigger" than Birmingham at 217k. Tuscaloosa is just under 100k.

Who assigns area codes, anyway?

• 1 month later...

I don't often cheer a lot of things from County government. I do applaud their vision and willingness to redevelop County Square (granted, it had its hiccups and could have been handled better). However, I wanted to take a moment to applaud the County for taking up the initiative to create the Historic & Natural Resources Trust back in 2020. I've been reading more about it with the recent acquisition of land for the expansion of Paris Mountain State Park. They're pursuing some really great project throughout the county and I really hope that council will see the benefit in extending funding for the trust going forward. You can read a little bit more about it here:

https://greenvillejournal.com/outdoors-recreation/paris-mountain-park-expansion-latest-example-of-greenville-county-trusts-impact/

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I don't often cheer a lot of things from County government. I do applaud their vision and willingness to redevelop County Square (granted, it had its hiccups and could have been handled better). However, I wanted to take a moment to applaud the County for taking up the initiative to create the Historic & Natural Resources Trust back in 2020. I've been reading more about it with the recent acquisition of land for the expansion of Paris Mountain State Park. They're pursuing some really great project throughout the county and I really hope that council will see the benefit in extending funding for the trust going forward. You can read a little bit more about it here:

https://greenvillejournal.com/outdoors-recreation/paris-mountain-park-expansion-latest-example-of-greenville-county-trusts-impact/

Great to see this. I only recently learned of this group. Much needed too, as Charleston County has spent many millions on conservation in the last decade or two. 

• Like 1

The affordable housing incentives package for new developments moving through council right now is another good thing to see: https://greenvillejournal.com/community/greenville-county-council-notes-council-advances-affordable-housing-incentives-policy-plus-more-on-the-paris-mountain-park-expansion/ Can’t wait to see Meadows hopefully gone soon. 

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GVLover said:

Can someone explain the history of the parking lot at the intersection of Main and Broad? Is there any particular reason it hasn't been sold? It's absolutely prime property and it's such a shame that it's reduced to being a parking lot. 

It may look like one parcel but isn't. Multiple owners, so it would require an assemblage. Probably a big capital gain if it were sold too. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Well….make some drone flights & post some (always) fine pics to change the scenery on here.  :D

Maybe if some of these long delayed projects downtown would ever start construction I would. Until then, I will continue to make the short drive to Charlotte for drone pics because they actually know how to get the job done: 

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/121849-if-you-build-it…/

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1