Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

'The Greenville News' is absolutely HORRIBLE in my opinion.  Sadly very poor quality overall.  Add this to their lack of accurate community reflection...  They misspelled the well-known name "Rick Erwin" multiple times in a piece about his latest local restaurant.  I will NOT support this organization financially until they clean up and grow up.  They are an embarrassment.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if this seems a little dramatic. I do not often find flaws in the city's management. Greenville does many things very well and we have seen the incredible results of that. However, I am troubled by the state of Falls Park.

The crown jewel of our park system has gone from what would previously be called a manicured 'garden' to seemingly just a 'green space' of sorts. The beds are sprouting saplings (several feet tall), exposed areas of dusty earth instead of plantings, and kudzu has reappeared (and is overwhelming) in many locales -- the Governor's School hillside and throughout the ravine towards University Street. I know there is dedicated staff for this park, and it is certainly a large undertaking to maintain. However, it should be of concern that getting this far behind on upkeep is (1) not a good look, and (2) will be a massive undertaking to correct later. 

One of the city's stated priorities is open space, and we've seen big investments and focus on other parks. Has this diverted resources from Falls Park? Has the approach to maintenance of the park shifted from the presentation of a garden to more natural wilds? Something has seemingly changed, but I'm not sure what it is. 

Let me emphasize that many people may not notice these changes, and it is still very much a lovely space in our urban core. However, knowing what the park has been, this is a far cry from where we were. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, the city is being stereotypical and this time towards tattoo parlors. As a person who has tattoos and personally knows several tattoo artists in the area I am appalled by this stupid idea: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/tattoo-parlor-zoning-changes-greenville-sc/article_cd68d8a4-66dc-11ee-bcdb-c32fe594a537.html

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

As usual, the city is being stereotypical and this time towards tattoo parlors. As a person who has tattoos and personally knows several tattoo artists in the area I am appalled by this stupid idea: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/tattoo-parlor-zoning-changes-greenville-sc/article_cd68d8a4-66dc-11ee-bcdb-c32fe594a537.html

Tattoo shops would be treated the same as barbershops and would not require a special exception as it now required. It seems to be more beneficial for a tattoo shop owner.   

• Like 1

Great to see: 

City spokeswoman Beth Brotherton told The Post and Courier on Oct. 12 that the city’s planning staff has no intention of bringing what was proposed to City Council back for a vote.

“The amendment proposed Monday will not be brought back before City Council,” Brotherton said. “In January, during the six month Development Code review, Planning Commission will be asked for input regarding tattoo and piercing establishments.”

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

It’s Election Day! If you live in the City, your voice is critical in this race. Please go vote! 

But Michelle Shain is going to pull money out of thin air and fix our roads. :rofl: I don’t live in the city limits but if I did it’s pretty obvious who I would vote for.