Detroit: 10 Years from Now

Marcel

with all of the new revitalization going on in detroit, i believe that we will have a world class city!!!!! where people will be able to come and have a great time. so my question is where do you guys think detroit will be within 10 years?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People already come and have a great time. I think 10 years from now downtown will be filled residents and there will be twice as much foot traffic than there is now. The river will attract tons of people and CMP and GCP will be where most of the action in terms of residential developments will occur downtown. I think nationally Detroits image will improve and that will be the biggest change and catylist for the city.

when is the entire riverwalk supposed to be complete?

People already come and have a great time. I think 10 years from now downtown will be filled residents and there will be twice as much foot traffic than there is now. The river will attract tons of people and CMP and GCP will be where most of the action in terms of residential developments will occur downtown. I think nationally Detroits image will improve and that will be the biggest change and catylist for the city.

i agree!!!! people are already having a great time there, myself included!!!!!!!!!!

I think in ten years, we will see a well redeveloped CBD. At least that area bounded by the freeways will have nearly all the lots filled with new buildings. I hoping some big projects can move forward at least before 2010, such as the Hudsons site redevelopment, and the Monroe block.

I think in ten years, we will see a well redeveloped CBD. At least that area bounded by the freeways will have nearly all the lots filled with new buildings. I hoping some big projects can move forward at least before 2010, such as the Hudsons site redevelopment, and the Monroe block.

i totally agree wolverine!!!!!! one of my favorite buildings in detroit is the book-cadillac, i can't wait until they restart the renovation process again.

How apropos is this article in the Detroit News: "Mike Ilitch believes the city's downtown is finally ready for prime time and he's putting his money where his mouth is. "

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0510/19/C01-354115.htm

The survey on there is: "Mike Ilitch believes the city's downtown is finally ready for prime time and he's putting his money where his mouth is. Do you agree with him?"

(taken from http://127.0.0.1/forum/messages/5/57386.html?1129749164)

Anyways, I would venture that in 10 years the downtown will have thousands of more middle class residents including many recent college grads who hail from Detroit's suburbs, and much more retail services for them. The closing of Cafe de Troit will just be the beginning of replacement independent cafes and hangout spots. Mexicantown and Southwest Detroit will continue to boom, adding much more quality retail investment to the Vernor corridor and there may be a commuter rail or light rail stop in that neighborhood. The Wayne State campus area will add a few thousand dorm rooms as well as off-campus housing and Midtown will become a very nice, large neighborhood. Woodward Avenue from Wayne State to the Detroit River will be a magnificent 3 miles. The vitality of Downtown and Midtown will have some effect in helping adjacent neighborhoods like Eastern Market and Corktown, but they'll remain more up-and-coming. But the east riverfront and its warehouse district remain a wildcard in my mind...

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what needs renovating at Hockey Town or Comerica? What? Are they going to put up a few new signs and banners and rearrange some seats and chairs and call it a renovation?

Here's an idea, Illitch. Build on those awful surface lots around your "Foxtown."

Sorry for being bitter, but I think most of you could understand why.

Ilitch didn't even pay for Comerica. All Ilitch has ever done is clean off the Fox, open & renovate Hockeytown Cafe, remove the windows from the Madison-Lenox, and buy new plywood to board up all those abandoned buildings. Oh yeah...he bought some nice black paint for the plywood too.

Not that I know of. Ilitch has had people go through the UA & the Adams, but that was just so that he can say he's had people go through it. He's had demolition contractors go through both buildings before, too.

The Ilitch family attorney has said that they intend to convert the Detroit Building into lofts, but the Blenheim Apartments across the street will have to come down for parking.

Ilitch didn't even pay for Comerica. All Ilitch has ever done is clean off the Fox, open & renovate Hockeytown Cafe, remove the windows from the Madison-Lenox, and buy new plywood to board up all those abandoned buildings. Oh yeah...he bought some nice black paint for the plywood too.

Don't forget three Stanley Cups!

Archived