Port of Hampton Roads

rusthebuss

The planned NC port would handle 2 million TEUs per year. HR and Charleston are already at that number. Considering that both Charleston and HR have expansion plans, they should be far ahead of the NC if and when it opens. HR would also have the advantage over Charleston because of environmental issues with dredging Charleston's channel.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not about us but is in a way. NC officials advance new port as possible rival to Norfolk <_<

"A council of the state's top elected officials cleared the way today for the $30 million purchase of a 600-acre tract near Southport that planners hope to transform into one of the largest international ports on the East Coast......................"

I don't think we should feel threatened by this. It is a good decade away from being operational, and by then, our most of our expansion plans should be close to or completed, giving us a big lead. Plus, we'll capture most of the Asian port traffic by then hopefully! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI: Virginia Pilot had a good write-up about the old Commonwealth Railway short line that will service the new APM terminal and eventually the Craney Island terminal. The article stated construction will start this spring with a completion goal of Dec. 2009. If you didn't know already, the majority of the rail will run down the middle of I664 and 164.

A Commonwealth Railway official stated the two locomotives currently make about 15 trips a week between Chesapeake and Suffolk with an average speed of 10mph. When the new port opens, they expect over 50 trips with an avg. speed of 20mph. It is going to be interesting to see a big train loaded up with containers traveling down the middle of I664.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the rail that will service the terminal, but on my way to school this morning I noticed the city had put up those lit traffic signs that sayed something like, "Meeting on moving railway, 9/20". The signs were located on both sides of the railroad that runs through where Taylor Rd. and Pughsville Rd. meet in the Western Branch part of Chesapeake. It's very close 664 and kinda got me thinking it was related.

Map

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

VIT signs long-term contract with ship lines

Continuing its push to secure long-term business, Virginia International Terminals said Thursday it has signed a 10-year, $175 million contract with the New World Alliance ship lines.

The alliance is the Virginia Port Authority's third-largest customer, making the agreement a "pretty significant deal."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Port of Hampton Roads alone at #2 :)

The port of Hampton Roads moved a record number of cargo containers in 2006, firmly establishing it as the East Coast's second-largest container port, the head of the Virginia Port Authority's operating company said Wednesday.

In 2006, the port handled nearly 2.05 million 20-foot equivalent units, a standard measurement for cargo container volume, said Joseph A. Dorto, Virginia International Terminals' chief executive and general manager. That's up about 3.2 percent from 2005, and is the first time the port has surpassed 2 million 20-foot units.

I wonder if we will ever be #1 on the east coast!

Once Craney Island is developed, would that be enough to double our volume? :blink:

The APM terminal alone will double the existing volume. APM's new terminal is supposed to handle 2 million TEUs at build-out which is what the VPA ports are currently handling. Craney Island will probably double or triple that combined capacity. With very little room for NY/NJ to grow, HR's competition will come from the south. Charleston is expanding at the former Naval Base and that state is eyeing Jasper Island across from Savannah as another port site. Savannah, itself, is growing and if South Carolina does persue Jasper Island; that combination will be a behemoth. North Carolina's Southport superport is small fries now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New port director gets maximum bonus pay

Bridges' $384,500 compensation is higher than the $274,025 earned by Geraldine Knatz, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, the nation's biggest port, and the $277,000 earned by Anthony E. Shorris, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the East Coast's largest port.

I guess that paying the VPA director $100K over the market makes sense to someone.........

Archived