Kuhn To Make Major Announcement On Tuesday

RiversideGator

100 N. Laura Street (or whatever it's called these days) a 10 story white modern office building, is what's directly across Forsyth St. from BofA. The old Barnett is then immediately behind that, on the Northern side of the block. On Adams street, not Forsyth.

appreciate the help

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100 N. Laura is now the Jacksonville Bank Building. Its also the original site of Barnett Bank and the current tower, was built as an annex to the larger and much older Barnett Bank Tower that Kuhn recently purchased on the SW corner of Laura & Adams.

llaurastreetcloseup2kn.jpg

this is an image of Laura Street looking in South toward the Landing.

The second tower on the left is the Barnett Building that Kuhn purchased. 100 North Laura (Jacksonville Bank) is the white midrise between it and BOA.

Check out the bizjournal article ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/st...f=et64&hbx=e_du

- "Kuhn will spend more than $300 million on residential, office, retail and entertainment developments as part of a plan to invest in Jacksonville's Downtown Business District."

- "Kuhn is expected to discuss developing the adjacent Laura Street parcel as a 33-story tower with residential condominiums, a four-star hotel that will include condominium suites, parking, first-floor retail and commercial space."

Fellas, if anyone went to the old Barnett Bldg, I sincerely apologize. My source got the location of the press conference wrong. It was actually on the 22d floor of the SunTrust Bldg across from the Landing. The party is still going on till 7 p.m. if you want to try and make it. As for the developments, I can report as follows:

- Kuhn was there in person and appears to be a nice guy who is excited about urban development in general and downtown Jacksonville in particular. He lives in Orlando but will be focusing on Jax now for development. He also will focus exclusively in the CBD and doesnt do suburbs.

- He is very excited about Jacksonville's opportunities and the many historic bldgs which need rehabbing. He says the worse the better for him in terms of historic structures.

- He will only be focusing on properties within a 6 minute walk of the SunTrust Bldg. He has looked at 14 properties, is really interested in 9 and has 5-6 under contract.

As for the SunTrust tower, this is being converted to office condos as we already know. There is a new sales office on the first floor.

As for the old Barnett Bldg, he says he will begin converting it immediately into condos which will be live/work. His assistant did leave open the possibility that they would be asking for city incentives to help with the Barnett rehab.

And finally, as for the building in the vacant lot across from the Landing, I can report as follows:

- The lot is under contract and has not closed.

- There are some soil remediation issues there apparently.

- He plans a 31 story multi-use building with ground floor retail, a hotel for floors 2-10 and residential condos on top of that.

- There will be no theater in this new bldg but he says downtown needs one.

- The footprint of the bldg will eliminate the existing Sister Cities Park (I can hear Ron Littlepage, who was not there, screaming now).

- He has no plans to ask the city for incentives with this project (but he joked he would accept them if offered by the City).

- Presales of residential condos now starting.

- Construction to start in January, 2006.

- I have renderings and a video but I have no idea how to post these. Can anyone help?

Viper: The problem is they are inside of a large mpeg file which I got on a disc at the press conference. Do you know how to save pictures from an mpeg file?

Check your PM's. That should do it.

This is a very exciting project. I'm really looking forward to all he has in store for the CBD. I wonder if he has any interest in the southbank? That big lot near Baptist at the I-95 split o the Acosta bridge could use a few towers. **hint hint Kuhn hint**

It is a cool looking building, however it does look odd once it is inserted into the existing skyline. But I'll take it over that surface parking lot anyday. I didn't think you could get permits, closing etc. done in 3 months but good luck to him and I hope I'm wrong. It really does look nice on its own, I'm sure seeing it in the skiyline will grow on me once I get used to it being there.

WOW! I'm giddy with delight. I don't know who this Kuhn fellow is, but God bless him. It's almost alarming to hear about all of this development in such a short time. And it seems like serious development that won't fail like some *cough* other Northbank projects....

I think one of the reasons it doesn't seem to fit in with the skyline is because we've had that same skyline for nearly 20 years. Can you imagine all of the logos and trademark images of the northbank that will have to be changed? lol

However, I won't breathe a sigh of relief until I see cranes there. You just never know with these northbank projects.....

At the meeting today, he started to elaborate on 14 other potential sites he is interested in, but he was interrupted by one of his henchmen that most of those contracts have confidentiality statements and its stopped there. I think he has some interesting things planned.

1) I definitely would agree with some that it definitely doesn't fit w/the overall look of that part of our skyline. It seems more @ home in like Miami, Orlando, or Tampa. Our skyline is more subtle I think while the other three major cities of florida are more expressive; its probably because our city is still growing and just experiencing the start of the residential/construction boom while the others have already been in their booms a long time ago.

2) 31 floors? Though it definitely fits in the gap around that area, I think Jacksonville's downtown needs another "SIGNATURE TOWER" for sure though. Although I've heard that RIVERPOINTE 1 will have (I think) 300 units and then parking garage floors > I've checked into Miami's construction statuses and buildings that have the same number if not more, fall somewhere around 400+ feet barely making 500 feet. Most of the residential projects in Miami (using it as a benchmark due to their construction progress) that fall above 500 feet (similar to Modis building in height) have around close to 400 units and are around 50-60 floors (residential). I just hope that since they plan to make RIVERPOINTE a "signature tower of jax" that they'll actually even make the building tall at least comparable to height with the Modis if not the B.O.A. Tower. I just wished they'd do the same for the building to for the site next to Suntrust but I guess not since the rendering is already out.

3) Is there a possibility that Kuhn could increase the floor count for his 33 or 31 story project?

4) I love all these new projects popping up, but when looking @ Jax's downtown skyline from different views, seeing the two main signature towers, Modis & B.o.A, it's kind of a shame I must admit. The Bellsouth tower is probably the closest but it should be arond the same height as the two other main ones though I think.

5) I think they definitely need more high-rises over the Riverside area near the Fidelity & YMCA sites...

Yup thats FBBArch alright!

Wow, Kuhn not asking for incentives? Dale is gonna need some new material.

Cameron and I had a long talk last night over a few drinks.

It looks a lot taller than 31 stories, just based on the comparison to the office building next door (American Heritage Life ?).

Archived