Kuhn To Make Major Announcement On Tuesday

RiversideGator

I would not have been suprised if that park was getting bulldozed during the press conference :D

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember a park being there. I recall some landscaping in one corner of a surface parking lot ... but a park? Please. It's a bit of a stretch. So no one had better complain about that.

Also, the renderings exaggerate how much the tower would "stick out." In real life, it seems like there would be much more overlap with the existing "RiverWatch" tower. The rendering basically shows the tower built ontop of Water Street. So I don't think it will create the awkward skyline that some fear.

Again, I love it. Bring on the cranes before the Fed hikes interest rates a few more points ...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, construction in 3 months? I'll believe it when I see it. Nevertheless, although I'm not to crazy about the design, its about what one would expect from FBB. Personally, I'd like to see a little more blue-ish color and glass to match with some of the other towers, but its no big deal. Anyway, I'll take it over the surface lot or the previous proposed 12 story Westin. With his quick construction schedule, this guy may be just what downtown needs. Maybe his shift moves will give some other developers (Hint: San Marco Riverwalk/Riverpointe) the kick in the butt they need to get started on their projects.

Edit: I just took a look at the renderings in closer detail. I think I'm going to agree with Captain. It looks fine, bring on the cranes. :thumbsup:

I've never been impressed by the firm, but in this case, the overall uses (200 unit hotel and condos) across from the Landing are more important to me. Maybe this will be the thing that gets Peyton to finish the deal with Sleiman to begin the Landing's expansion and renovation.

Indeed, precisely why I can live with the Plaza design. It has far bigger implications.

For the people in construction-related fields:

Considering the lot under contract buy not closed, isn't three months a little quick? I mean, the first phase of the Shipyards was to be done before the Super Bowl.

Noy trying to be a downer; I think it looks great, especially considering what's there now. The rendering made the street interaction a little difficut to see, but it looks pretty good from here.

In addition (with the Barnett Building), define, "Converting to live/work condos IMMEDIATELY" What is immediately?

Considering the lot under contract buy not closed, isn't three months a little quick? I mean, the first phase of the Shipyards was to be done before the Super Bowl.

Noy trying to be a downer; I think it looks great, especially considering what's there now. The rendering made the street interaction a little difficut to see, but it looks pretty good from here.

In addition (with the Barnett Building), define, "Converting to live/work condos IMMEDIATELY" What is immediately?

Well, he did get his Orlando project underway as quickly as I've ever seen a large project get underway.

Around the turn of the century, this property was industrial and it was mentioned earlier that some parts of the site still needed to be cleaned. It could be possible to start this process while plans are being pushed through city hall.

As for the Barnett, I assume that immediately would imply interior demolition work, similar to what is currently being done with the Laura Trio? I wonder how much help is needed from the city to return the Barnett to its former glory?

At first glance the design does not seem too great, but after looking at it some more, I like where they are going with it. It brings a nice curved element to the skyline with mostly boxy buildings. I am happy to see him move on it and I cannot wait to see what may ensue from his ideas. Great news for the city (thus far)!

Guys: I am sorry. Earlier, I may have mis-typed re the timetable in my excitement. Thinking about it, I believe he stated Dec, 2006 as the start of construction. I think 2 months (Oct to Dec) would be too soon to start, especially given the fact that he hasnt closed or cleaned the site. Still, Dec, 2006 is very soon for a project of this scope. I apologize for the misinformation.

As for the design, the neighboring SunTrust/AHL/Jacksonville Center is 23 floors of offices. If the new tower is 31 of residential/hotel, it would not surprise me to see them closer in height. I think the design of the new bldg could be great with a Greek temple top to the structure with columns rather than the modern crown it has in the rendering. Add to this a more triangular shape and it could be Jacksonville's post-modern flat iron building. Of course, FBB is much to tacky for something this tasteful. I find it a little odd that Kuhn simultaneously likes old buildings and FBB designs. I think the old bldgs are mostly about making money and FBB's designs are probably more to his tastes. This is just speculation, of course. But, it doesnt matter what we think about the design: he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Scongro: I am quoting him on that one re the Barnett Bldg. He said he was not the kind of guy to buy properties and sit on them. Starting immediately may mean just interior demo though and his associate did imply that he was seeking some kind of incentives on the Barnett deal.

^Thanks, I was looking for a Kuhn site! Maybe the Barnett will have its own site...

BTW, what's this Kuhn dude look like? All I can ever think of is the old Kuhn flower shop on San Juan and Blanding, lol..... Any pics?

He is a tall, heavy set guy with dark hair. He was wearing a suit. He is in his mid-40s (I hope I am doing this well financially at 45). :)

New renderings and an article from todays Times-Union

97131_400.jpg97133_400.jpg

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20066333.shtml

Btw, this is the type of stuff I like to hear:

Kuhn, 45, is particularly interested in acquiring existing buildings in the central business district that need renovation.

"We want to move quickly here," Kuhn said. "The opportunity is here."

and..........

In Orlando, Kuhn's latest and largest project -- which includes 310 condominiums, two office condo towers, retail shops and a 12-screen movie theater -- is under construction. Kuhn received about $22 million in loans and grants from the city to develop that project. He said he does not expect the same from Jacksonville. "[but] it'd be great if they wanted to give it to us," he said.

Personally, I like the design. I would give it a 7.75-8.0 on a 10 scale. The building is rounded on one side to afford river-views to the greatest number of units, most likely. You can't fault him for that. It does bring a new shape to the skyline, which I think is good. There are five primary buildings on the Northbank skyline. BofA, Modis, SunTrust, Bell South and the Wachovia building. Each of these is very different in shape and in how they are situated towrd the river. While they are very different, they blend together well. This new tower will do the same, IMO. I think the primary reason for some reluctance is that it is a significant change to something that hasn't changed since 1990. Your not used to seeing it.

Also, each time I look at the rendering, I seem to like it more. That is always a good sign. The T-U article said prices would range from $290,000 to 350,000. I'm surprised that there aren't more expensive. Can anyone confirm this info. from the press conference.

T-U article on Cameron Kuhn's Riverwatch project

I seem to remember sub 300 numbers for residential. He is bringing a lot of concepts new to Jacksonville. One I think may be a hit is the condo/hotel. I have a friend who has one in a more resort like setting, but with all the changes downtown, 3 very big college football games, the jags, and a safe inland harbor, these may really take off. It is an income property that one can use a few times a year.

One other thing that cought my eye is that his office condos (in the suntrust and available now) start at $145 per foot. That is more than reasonable for class A. I expect that those will go fast.

I look forward to learning more from our Orlando friends on both sides of the Kuhn debate, but I will say at this early stage his products seem ideal for downtown jax. I hope he continues to buy.

I also am not blown away by the architecture, but like vic, its growing on me.

disclosure: these are my opinions and not those of any client, friend, or family member...

Archived