Kuhn To Make Major Announcement On Tuesday

RiversideGator

Good to see that more high-rise development is taking place on the NB. This tower along with the three proposed next to Alltel Stadium I think is a prelude to what will happen on the NB with new high-rise development. In my opinion, the design of Kuhn's tower fits in better on the SB, but it's something different that I think will also work on the NB.

I have said it before, but I think that with what is taking place in Jax in terms of this type of development, is similar to what took place in Miami in the 70s, which was the beginning of MIA's high-rise residential boom. This type of development in Jax will pickup in the coming years and will be a 20 year process.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing that cought my eye is that his office condos (in the suntrust and available now) start at $145 per foot. That is more than reasonable for class A. I expect that those will go fast.

I look forward to learning more from our Orlando friends on both sides of the Kuhn debate, but I will say at this early stage his products seem ideal for downtown jax. I hope he continues to buy.

I agree TUC. Office condos are much needed downtown and should sell pretty quickly.

I'm itching to see what else he may have in store for Jax. We'll all have to wait and see how serious his visions are.

This could also be a shot in Sleighman's arm to get the Landing redevlopment moving forward.

The Plaza is about 150 millions and this Jax project is double that. Great for Jax.

Hopefully FB will be too busy with JAx and forget about Orlando.

That's a good design tower from FB but Jax skyline is very classy and it needs something look way more better.

Cameron Kuhn is way far from being Donald Trump florida. The real player are all in Miami.

Luckily he's more interested in buying historic buildings to renovate, instead of building new ones. FB shouldn't have to spend much time altering the exterior of those. Anyway, this tower also is beginning to grow on me. I really like the glass look on the corner of Hogan and Water Streets. I also assume the top, will look pretty nice at night.

Plus the hotel component (floors 2-10) also solves the issue of the proposed mid-rise condo buildings (6-8 stories), blocking the site's view of the river. The residential portion will have great views and the hotel portion will be successful, because its in the heart of town and directly across the street from the Landing and its restuarants & bars. This site is also one of the issues delaying the Landing's expansion plans. If this project gets off ground (which it should, since he's not asking for incentives), it should give Sleiman the green light to begin work on the Landing. This looks like a win-win for all parties involved.

I really like the glass look on the corner of Hogan and Water Streets. I also assume the top, will look pretty nice at night.

That part appeals to me too. Someone suggested greek columns at the top, but in this case, that would not match the modern appearance of the surroundings (Modis, BofA, Sun Trust, etc).

I also like that the OLD Sun Trust building 200 W. forsyth will be all but blocked from the Northbank "postcard" photos. That building is pretty bland and not that tall either.

This site is also one of the issues delaying the Landing's expansion plans. If this project gets off ground (which it should, since he's not asking for incentives), it should give Sleiman the green light to begin work on the Landing. This looks like a win-win for all parties involved.

I wonder if Sleiman will keep the boutique hotel component in his plans for the Landing. Since there would be a hotel across the street, maybe he will switch to a multiplex theater in place of the boutique hotel.

I msut admitt,

While my favorite still is the old 1920's style buildings mixed with modern touches, I do like this building alot. I especialy like the way it utilizes the v shaped corner on hogan waters(?) st. I ve always loved buildings that do that. Im not going to be picky. bring on the towers....

8 outa 10 for me..

side note...

So, if no incentives are being requested, if the JEDC approves a design, how come it has to go through city council and such. so long as it fits the zoning requirements, i dont see a need for that much red tape. Probably a big reason why I am not a developer, i jsut think that if it fits the codes, approved by the design commitee, and you own the land, whats the big deal....

Cheers Guys

There was already a 200 unit Westin Hotel proposed for the site, so I can't see him abandoning his plans. It was mentioned that he has 5-6 more properties under contract with a short walk of the proposed tower. I'm just hoping that two of those properties are the surface parking lot behind the Wachovia Tower or the lot at the foot of the Main Street Bridge.

Actually, a Dec. 2006 start date is slow for Kuhn. Guess it's not as far along in the planning stages as I thought.

For his Premiere Trade Plaza, in Orlando, literally moments after city council approval, he placed a call to his project manager and bulldozers swung into action.

As for pricing for the residential condos, I remember him stating some sub-$300,000 number too. I also recall him saying the B&G would be the contractor because I believe they are from Birmingham, where I lived for 3 years, and this is how I remembered it. I was a little surprised by this choice because they are out of state.

As for the design, I like they way it looks where it comes to the rounded point of the wedge, but I think it looks a little too cartoony and futuristic and may not wear well. I understand the reason for the design (i.e. curved side affords more units river views), I just think it doesnt look very dignified. I also think that it is too close to the old AHL bldg and will completely overpower and dwarf this bldg in an unnatural way. But, maybe the renderings exaggerate the effect. We will see. I dont expect much in the way of good taste from today's architects and developers, but as for the overall project, I am cautiously optimistic.

As for pricing for the residential condos, I remember him stating some sub-$300,000 number too. I also recall him saying the B&G would be the contractor because I believe they are from Birmingham, where I lived for 3 years, and this is how I remembered it. I was a little surprised by this choice because they are out of state.

As for the design, I like they way it looks where it comes to the rounded point of the wedge, but I think it looks a little too cartoony and futuristic and may not wear well. I understand the reason for the design (i.e. curved side affords more units river views), I just think it doesnt look very dignified. I also think that it is too close to the old AHL bldg and will completely overpower and dwarf this bldg in an unnatural way. But, maybe the renderings exaggerate the effect. We will see. I dont expect much in the way of good taste from today's architects and developers, but as for the overall project, I am cautiously optimistic.

There is a B&G office in Orlando. The project would be bid and contracted out of this office.

Most in this city don't care to much for inner city development. We're suburban oriented so the press would rather spend time on suburban shopping centers, Kohl's grand openings and Cecil Field. The only intown thing that gets good coverage these days is the Jags and their negoitations with the city on the signage issue.

Btw, I did come across a person in the T-U forum who complained about crappy condo towers taking all the available land on the riverfront. It was pretty obvious this person had no idea of what they were talking about, because the site isn't even on the river.

Most in this city don't care to much for inner city development. We're suburban oriented so the press would rather spend time on suburban shopping centers, Kohl's grand openings and Cecil Field. The only intown thing that gets good coverage these days is the Jags and their negoitations with the city on the signage issue.

Btw, I did come across a person in the T-U forum who complained about crappy condo towers taking all the available land on the riverfront. It was pretty obvious this person had no idea of what they were talking about, because the site isn't even on the river.

LOL, as opposed to what being on river? Some poeple.

Is anyone surprised at the lack of media coverage for this event? A small article in the TU, no coverage in the Daily Record. Someone else pointed this out to me. I just wanted to mention it and see what kind of feedback I got.

As of about 9:00 pm today, this story was the most-read story on the T-U site. As for the Daily Reecord, this was a late-breaking story for them, so you might see something tomorrow.

i'm going to buy a condo in there.

I'd definitely consider it as well. Obviously, I'd have to see the floor plans, and if the Barnett is for sale, I actually rather have that.

Riverside - did they mention anything about Barnett parking? The logical spot would be the vacant lot between Forsyth and Adams, mid-block. I'd be cool walking a half block between the garage and the building.

Parking not likely to delay condo deal

City, Landing expected to reach agreement paving way for 33-story tower downtown.

I love this quote from Tony Sleiman.

"I'm ready to rock and roll downtown," Sleiman said Wednesday.

Sleiman said he supports Kuhn's project wholeheartedly.

"I'm going to be his biggest supporter. We've all got to work together ... to make downtown happen," he said.

I'd definitely consider it as well. Obviously, I'd have to see the floor plans, and if the Barnett is for sale, I actually rather have that.

Riverside - did they mention anything about Barnett parking? The logical spot would be the vacant lot between Forsyth and Adams, mid-block. I'd be cool walking a half block between the garage and the building.

The Fund recently purchased that lot for a 700 space parking garage for the Laura Trio. With 60+ units planned for those buildings, doubt all those spaces will be built only for that project, so you will probably get your wish.

scongro: Kuhn didnt mention parking for the Barnett Bldg. I am sure they can secure parking nearby. The parking problem in downtown is greatly exaggerated in my opinion. But the city doesnt make things better by not providing enough on street parking, jacking up parking fines to unreasonable levels and not providing diagonal parking where it could work (i.e. Bay Street). I too would rather live in the Barnett than in the new structure (although I really like the Ocean Square proposal also). I just like the more traditional look.

Tony and Cameron should visit the UP boards to amp up their excitement about downtown even more. I'm glad to hear the Tony is excited about working with Cameron.

Someone should figure out their Email addresses and send them a link via Email. :)

Archived