Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?

elb401

Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tennessee has 3 distinct regions and some would even argue the we have a 4th (Upper Cumberlnd area on the Plateau). Anyway, all 3 areas are each very different. I have always heard it said that a Tennessean can tell what part of the State another Tennessean is from by the way they talk. I think that is true for a lot of states though.

Tennessee has 3 distinct regions and some would even argue the we have a 4th (Upper Cumberlnd area on the Plateau). Anyway, all 3 areas are each very different. I have always heard it said that a Tennessean can tell what part of the State another Tennessean is from by the way they talk. I think that is true for a lot of states though.

This is true, but the competition between the Memphis area & the Nashville area is keeping both areas on top of their game.

There are four distinct regions in SC:

1) Upstate (Greenville, Spartanburg)

2) Pee Dee/Grand Strand (Florence, Myrtle Beach)

3) Midlands (Columbia)

4) Lowcountry (Charleston)

The closest to a competition we have is between the Midlands and the Upstate, or more specifically, Carolina and Clemson.

Florida has several areas that compete depending on how you want to divide it up.

The smallest number of divisions is 3 (North/Central/South). I can pick out 7 areas that compete on many levels and you can pretty much draw that by using the top 7 metro areas/regions.

Yep. The three Grand Divisions of Tennessee have a healthy competition with one another. When asked what state they are from most Tennesseans will tell you which Grand Division they are from instead, illustrating just how strong the regionalism in the state is.

I've never felt that way. In what ways do you see competition?

Well I wouldn't apply this to any of our Arkansas forumers, but I've gotten the impression Little Rock is used to be the 'center' of the state and isn't used to having to share the limelight with another area in the state. Although I'm not sure if I'd call it competition. I don't think I'd say that different regions in our state have hurt each other. The closest I'd go is saying that northwest Arkansas should maybe get more of it's tax dollars back so we can use it for much needed infrastructure work. :D

Central arkansas will rule the world! NW Arkansas will bow down to it forever!

In terms of competition, LR and NW arkansas are too far away from each other to really "compete" for anything. Though, they might compare themselves economically, politically, and educationally.

Central arkansas will rule the world! NW Arkansas will bow down to it forever!

In terms of competition, LR and NW arkansas are too far away from each other to really "compete" for anything. Though, they might compare themselves economically, politically, and educationally.

Oh yeah, don't make me send the Waltons down to buy your city. :lol: I don't think I'd say they are too far away to compete with each other. I think it's more the fact they are both so different from each other at the moment. But who knows maybe well get some more friendly competition going in the near future.

It just seems that there is tension between the two. With things like money for schools and transportation.

People up here are always wanting to compete with Little Rock and Central Arkansas. Take for example you minor league team. As soon as you guys got the Angels minor league team, it seemed that people up here expressed a lot of interest in a possible minor league baseball team.

I think may'be we just want to outdo each other to be the best.

Competition may not be a strong enough word for Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Many Tulsans only see OKC as an ugly, hick, poor, white trash city, and that offends most people from OKC. People in OKC like to lord the state capital and that fact that OKC is larger and lately faster growing over Tulsa.

It just seems that there is tension between the two. With things like money for schools and transportation.

People up here are always wanting to compete with Little Rock and Central Arkansas. Take for example you minor league team. As soon as you guys got the Angels minor league team, it seemed that people up here expressed a lot of interest in a possible minor league baseball team.

I think may'be we just want to outdo each other to be the best.

The fact that y'all are looking to bring a minor league team to Northwest Arkansas is not connected to Little Rock's franchise. The Travelers have been a Little Rock establishment for a very long time. Here's an excerpt from their website:

The Travelers have been a member of professional baseball since 1901, when manager Mike Finn guided the club to a second place finish in the Southern Association.

A few years ago the Travlers did switch affiliation from the Cardinals to the Angels because of business reasons (I can only hope that they would switch to the Braves).

From what I've read, Springdale would have a team in an independent league. I think Northwest Arkansas is searching for a team for the simple reason of adding an attraction to a growing metro area. Many other areas of similar size have a minor league team.

Florida has several areas that compete depending on how you want to divide it up.

The smallest number of divisions is 3 (North/Central/South). I can pick out 7 areas that compete on many levels and you can pretty much draw that by using the top 7 metro areas/regions.

I dont think people in South Florida feel they compete with anyone. Im pretty sure they dont care.And i have found Tampa Bay area people very humble about their cities. But i do believe people in North Florida "feel" they are competing with South Florida. And im pretty sick of people from Orlando telling me how much better Orlando is than Miami, after I tell them im from Miami. I actually had one girl tell me that there are no gangs in Orlando and that Miami is full of gangs and gun violence. A note to everyone, WE ONLY SHOOT TOURISTS WHO GO INTO OUR BAD NIEGHBORHOODS. thank you.

I think the competition might be more on the northwest part of the state. I think being off in the corner of the state has made people feel unnoticed or underappreciated. But I imagine people in Little Rock still feel they are the center of the state, literally and figuretively. I would imagine people in Little Rock don't see northwest Arkansas big enough to truely 'compete' with them. With may very well be true, but probably only going to make people in northwest Arkansas try to 'compete' even more.

I dont think people in South Florida feel they compete with anyone. Im pretty sure they dont care.And i have found Tampa Bay area people very humble about their cities. But i do believe people in North Florida "feel" they are competing with South Florida. And im pretty sick of people from Orlando telling me how much better Orlando is than Miami, after I tell them im from Miami. I actually had one girl tell me that there are no gangs in Orlando and that Miami is full of gangs and gun violence. A note to everyone, WE ONLY SHOOT TOURISTS WHO GO INTO OUR BAD NIEGHBORHOODS. thank you.

They take and take from South Florida in terms of taxes but hate giving any of it back. Go anywhere in the panhandle and you'll find an instant mistrust of what's going on downhere.

I think the competition might be more on the northwest part of the state. I think being off in the corner of the state has made people feel unnoticed or underappreciated. But I imagine people in Little Rock still feel they are the center of the state, literally and figuretively. I would imagine people in Little Rock don't see northwest Arkansas big enough to truely 'compete' with them. With may very well be true, but probably only going to make people in northwest Arkansas try to 'compete' even more.

I agree with Mith here. We up here seem to want to compete with Little Rock and such, because we sometimes feel left out and not noticed.

They take and take from South Florida in terms of taxes but hate giving any of it back. Go anywhere in the panhandle and you'll find an instant mistrust of what's going on downhere.

HEY HEY! i said DONT start back up with that succession stuff... EVEN IF I DO AGREE WITH YOU 10000000% lol.

No seriously i know what your saying we do give alot in terms of taxes. And as far as policy is concerned, even though the state's capital is there they feel that we effect to much state policy. I dont think they realize how shafted we get. They also belive that certain projects such as Stadiums and MetroRail are a waste of "THEIR" tax dollars. I dont think they realize that we pay for that stuff.

I met a lady who told me she was convinced that the Florida Lottery was rigged so that only people in south florida would win (this was in Pensacola). I didn't have the desire to explain to her the numbers involved nor the laws of probability. Needless to say she played anyway.

I met a lady who told me she was convinced that the Florida Lottery was rigged so that only people in south florida would win (this was in Pensacola). I didn't have the desire to explain to her the numbers involved nor the laws of probability. Needless to say she played anyway.

That's hilarious. :rofl:

Archived