Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?

elb401

Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do the different regions in your state compete with each other?

• yes
    • no

They take and take from South Florida in terms of taxes but hate giving any of it back. Go anywhere in the panhandle and you'll find an instant mistrust of what's going on downhere.
Brickell: As I asked on another thread, please produce evidence that S FL sends more to other parts of the state in taxes than it receives. I doubt that Dade County, for example, with a lower per capita income than most of the state, is donating money to anyone. Dont be misled by the condo towers: Dade is poor.

As to the rivalry issue, I remember reading in college in a FL Politics class that FL is different than many states in that every region hated each other. I think this is a little extreme, but there may be some truth to it. Read through the Florida threads for confirmation. :D

I met a lady who told me she was convinced that the Florida Lottery was rigged so that only people in south florida would win (this was in Pensacola). I didn't have the desire to explain to her the numbers involved nor the laws of probability. Needless to say she played anyway.

The best way to win the FL Lottery is to not play.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brickell: As I asked on another thread, please produce evidence that S FL sends more to other parts of the state in taxes than it receives. I doubt that Dade County, for example, with a lower per capita income than most of the state, is donating money to anyone. Dont be misled by the condo towers: Dade is poor.

As to the rivalry issue, I remember reading in college in a FL Politics class that FL is different than many states in that every region hated each other. I think this is a little extreme, but there may be some truth to it. Read through the Florida threads for confirmation. :D

The best way to win the FL Lottery is to not play.

I did my homework and found the info on Myflorida .com under taxes however my adobe acrobat is down perhaps Brickell can help me out on this. Although numerically it makes sense. There is simply more people in Dade county. Since there is more people that area is paying more taxes. However the state does not disperse monies to counties based on population. Money is dispersed equally, divied up if you will. So for example if Dade give 20 dollars to a pot and 3 other smaller counties give 10 u have a total of 50 dollars if u divide that by those 4 counties equally the counties recieve back 12.50 each so in this smaller,much simpler, laymens example Dade county pays more than it recieves. And this is what goes on in this state. We pay according to population but we recieve by sharing.

I did my homework and found the info on Myflorida .com under taxes however my adobe acrobat is down perhaps Brickell can help me out on this. Although numerically it makes sense. There is simply more people in Dade county. Since there is more people that area is paying more taxes. However the state does not disperse monies to counties based on population. Money is dispersed equally, divied up if you will. So for example if Dade give 20 dollars to a pot and 3 other smaller counties give 10 u have a total of 50 dollars if u divide that by those 4 counties equally the counties recieve back 12.50 each so in this smaller,much simpler, laymens example Dade county pays more than it recieves. And this is what goes on in this state. We pay according to population but we recieve by sharing.

Um, what tax does that? I don't believe that's completely accurate or is limited to something of little impact. If it were all divided equally, little counties would be paving streets of gold.

The comment was figurative. I still think it any amount returned to the counties is by way of equal dividends, it must be something negligiable to start with or else tiny counties would have a considerable amount of money. If this were the case, I think it would be well known to all Fl residents.

There would be a very visisble difference in local county paid infrastructure in adjacent counties if one was heavily populated while the other is not. such as Duval to Baker county. 880,000 to 22,000. If Baker received the same chunk of change as Duval, it would have an incredible infrastructure yet if Duval received the same chunk as Baker, it would go broke just trying to do a single project.

Like I said, I think this must be of some negliable funds to start with or else the bigger counties would be raising cane while the little guys would be absolutely living it up.

Kendall: Again, please cite statistics and include a link. Merely stating that you remember reading something somewhere doesnt prove it. As for memory, I remember reading in the past few yrs in the Florida Times-Union that Duval got a lower amount of money per student from the state than did S FL. And, I have never heard of any revenue sharing where the 67 FL counties are sent equal amounts of money. That is absurd and I would be shocked if it happened.

Kendall: Again, please cite statistics and include a link. Merely stating that you remember reading something somewhere doesnt prove it. As for memory, I remember reading in the past few yrs in the Florida Times-Union that Duval got a lower amount of money per student from the state than did S FL. And, I have never heard of any revenue sharing where the 67 FL counties are sent equal amounts of money. That is absurd and I would be shocked if it happened.

Your calls for stats have not gone unheard, and are indeed with merit. I will look tonight for them online. If i do not find them ill eat a giant peice of humble pie.

CHOMP CHOMP yum. I eat half the pie because.....

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/distributions.html Look under tax reciepts by county and then under Florida revenue sharing.

I was half wrong. In January Dade County paid roughly 35 million that same month(January) we recieved 2 million back. The total dispersement for the entire state was 26million. So we do pay alot more than we recieve. However it is not evenly dispersed. The state keeps alot of our money and uses it for whatever they want.

Kendall: I dont think you are right. Those stats dont seem to show what you state. They appear to show some revenue sharing but it isnt at all clear where the money originally came from and where the money ended up. I would like to see a breakdown, but I just dont think that is it.

You are entitiled to your opinion. Yet i disagree with you. I think it clearly shows where the money came from and that there is indeed sharing.

Being from the Tri-Cities in TN. there was even competition between areas of East TN. There was a huge discussion 15 or so years ago about changing the name from N.E. Tn to Upper East TN. They did so just so they would not be confused with Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Sure glad I live in Nashville now.

• 2 weeks later...

Being from the Tri-Cities in TN. there was even competition between areas of East TN. There was a huge discussion 15 or so years ago about changing the name from N.E. Tn to Upper East TN. They did so just so they would not be confused with Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Sure glad I live in Nashville now.

Really, they officially refer to their region as "Upper East Tennessee"? We didn't get the memo in the rest of state I fear. LOL Everybody I know still refers to it as NETN or the Tri-Cities area. I also wonder how does Upper East give you any more a clear geographical location than NETN? Should we here in NWTN start a movement to be called Upper West TN for geographic balance? LOL

'Upper East" Tennessee I have noticed though feels like it is neglected by the state, kind of like the Purchase Region in far western KY, its so far away most folks kind of forget TN goes on past Knoxville/Morristown/Gatlinburg. So that may not be far from the truth, I know its true for the Purchase in KY.

Really, they officially refer to their region as "Upper East Tennessee"? We didn't get the memo in the rest of state I fear. LOL Everybody I know still refers to it as NETN or the Tri-Cities area. I also wonder how does Upper East give you any more a clear geographical location than NETN? Should we here in NWTN start a movement to be called Upper West TN for geographic balance? LOL

'Upper East" Tennessee I have noticed though feels like it is neglected by the state, kind of like the Purchase Region in far western KY, its so far away most folks kind of forget TN goes on past Knoxville/Morristown/Gatlinburg. So that may not be far from the truth, I know its true for the Purchase in KY.

For Kentucky, far Western Fulton County is really forgotten. LOL

:rofl:

Look at Florida, it as at least five regions that definitely compete with each other. Since each area (Panhandle, Northeast/Jacksonville, Central/Tampa-Orlando, Southwest/Fort Myers, and Southeast/Miami-Palm Beach) is growing EXTREMELY fast, each competes for infrastructure funding (road projects, mass transit) and for representation. Anyway, little things like the fact that the governor lives in Miami, but his sons and other family went to school in Jacksonville are what people hope and think draw favor to their area.

For Kentucky, far Western Fulton County is really forgotten. LOL

:rofl:

For those who aren't aware, Fulton County is the furthest west county in KY, but part of it is cut off from the rest fo the state by a bend in the Mississippi River. That area of Fulton County is called the "New Madrid Bend" as it sits right across from New Madrid, MO. For citizens living in that part of Fulton County to get to their county seat in Hickman, or simply to to get to the rest of KY, they must head south into Tennessee, east for a few miles, then back north to head towards Hickman, its quite a long ways. There have been talk in the past about selling the region to Tennessee, but I'm not sure how serious that ever got. Its probably some of the best farmland in the state of KY.

• 1 month later...

The more I think about it, the more I think NC's regions don't actually compete; it's more of a "not cooperating but otherwise leaving each other alone" situation. Our universities compete within their region and nationally mostly.

Oh my god! I totally disagree. When it comes to jobs, cultural assets & the arts, air traffic, industry recruitment, university quality and reputation, and overall economic strength, these areas compete with each other fiercely. Dell anyone?

All you have to do is read through one or two of the boards on UP to see that this competition is pervasive-- ok, maybe not Greensboro/WS so much; but it seems like the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham metros are in a perpetual pecker-measuring contest.

Florida

NW....................(Pensacola-Ft. Walton Beach-Panama City)

N Central...........(Tallahassee-Gainseville- Ocala)

NE....................( Jacksonvile-St. Augustine)

Central............. ( Tampa-Orlando-Daytona-Vero Beach)

SW.................. (Sarasota-Naples-Ft. Myers-Punta Gorda)

South............... (West Palm Beach-Miami-Key West)

Each region is home to over a million people and they all fight hard for funding and bully each other for certain policies every now and then, but the best thing is is that not a single city or region reigns supreme over the other.

Pre-Katrina, there was a bit of a rivalry between Greater New Orleans and Greater Baton Rouge, but that rivalry has completely diminished after Katrina, as the two cities are very closely tied together now. There isn't much of a competition between south and north Louisiana, but culturally the two areas are like two different countries.

there is a ton of competition between Dallas and Houston mainly, Dallas has the largest concentration of corporate headquarters in the United States, the world's third busiest airport, and as of 2000, was the 5th largest metro area in the US.

Houston has one of the busiest ports in the nation and it ranked second in the world in foreign tonnage, second to NYC in fortune 500 headquarters, and home to the worlds largest and most imortant concentration of research and medical institutions.

there is some serious competition for domination

Archived