Forest Hills schools shut the door on transfers

ModSquad

Forest Hills schools shut the door on transfers

"Just weeks into the new year, district leaders have been hit with claims newcomers might not be as smart as homegrown students and could be linked to mischief at Northern, which has 14 percent nonresidents total."

"If you're bringing in students who aren't up to par, you have to do something," Bigelow said.

Quotes like this fill this article. It makes me sick.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you do have to do something, its called TEACHING! Good grief. <_<

That was one of the parents who made that statement. I read that article and was just disgusted with their comments. At least the Superintendent, Washburn, made some great remarks. I can see stopping school of choice due to lack of room, but the way some of the Forest Hills parents are going around starting vicious rumors and bad-mouthing the out of district kids and parents is despicable! The decent people in that area (and I know some) need to make it clear that this kind of talk is unacceptable.

I caught that too...out of the mouths of babes...

Ok.. this may not be an exact thing.. but let me put it this way...

I went to a private highschool and private middle/elem. schools. Our higschool was composed of students from 5 "feeder" schools, which all had thier own cirriculum, own transportation methods, teachers and ways of doing things. Now yes, some things were done the same and some funding came from the same sources, but for the most part each school was on its own. Once in highschool, everyone came together to learn the same material. These feeder schools were from moline,byron all the way north to cutlerville, kellogsville and dutton.

The argument that parents to get involved b/c they're from far away is BS, our schools never had problems like that. The argument that these new students are "polluting" the smarty pool is crap too. In education you're always going to have those that excel and those that lag, it's been that way everywhere I've ever been from private pre-school all the way through public university. Maybe these parents should take a look at themselves before blaming the kids. I just don't see a valid argument, especially since this is a fairly new program. Have any studies been done to back thier claims? The whole "they might have a negative effect so we shouldn't do it" argument really doesn't fly with me

"Forest Hills is among the most affluent districts in Kent County. It receives more than $8,000 per student in state aid, tops in the county."

Empty Seats = No Money

Dirty little secret districts are forced to fill every empty seat. School of Choice has helped suburban districts and city charters, just look at the budget deficit of GRPS. Don't want to go down the road of Proposal A on this thread with inequity of school funding.

"Forest Hills is among the most affluent districts in Kent County. It receives more than $8,000 per student in state aid, tops in the county."

Empty Seats = No Money

Dirty little secret districts are forced to fill every empty seat. School of Choice has helped suburban districts and city charters, just look at the budget deficit of GRPS. Don't want to go down the road of Proposal A on this thread with inequity of school funding.

The road is wide open, though. Current school funding formulas are unjust and simply do not work. There are school districts on the east side of the State that get over $10,000 per child.

My problem with this whole issue is the attitude of the parents. The one woman says "I don't see THEM at Band Booster Meetings" (meaning out of district parents). How does she know??! Can she look around the room and tell who is out-of-district and who is in?? Another says "If you're bringing in students who AREN'T UP TO PAR, that might reduce advanced placement courses". :blink: I thought that parents sent kids to good schools to GET a good education. If your "in-district" child is so much more stinkin brilliant, then it shouldn't matter where they go to school, right??

The gall of these freakin people! I've had enough of this story. If they are trying to keep people from moving into the Forest Hills area, this is the way to do it!

The school he's referring to may or may not be on 68th b/w division and 131... :P

Funny...my high school diploma has an anchor on it too. :whistling:

As to the topic at hand, my wife has relatives who send their kids to Forest Hills schools, and I got a chance to talk to them over the weekend. They are disgusted and embarrassed by the talk of some of those parents who were quoted in the paper. The worst of the accusations and rumors of troublemaking from "outsiders" have instead been traced to deeds of children who live within district boundaries. I'm hopeful that those who are making such asinine comments will soon be shouted down by people in the district who know better.

My problem with this whole issue is the attitude of the parents. The one woman says "I don't see THEM at Band Booster Meetings" (meaning out of district parents). How does she know??! Can she look around the room and tell who is out-of-district and who is in?? Another says "If you're bringing in students who AREN'T UP TO PAR, that might reduce advanced placement courses". :blink: I thought that parents sent kids to good schools to GET a good education. If your "in-district" child is so much more stinkin brilliant, then it shouldn't matter where they go to school, right??

The gall of these freakin people! I've had enough of this story. If they are trying to keep people from moving into the Forest Hills area, this is the way to do it!

No kidding! I guess she looks to see what kind of car they drive or if their nails are freshly manicured. Oops, did I say that out loud?? <_< YES! I did!

No kidding! I guess she looks to see what kind of car they drive or if their nails are freshly manicured. Oops, did I say that out loud?? <_< YES! I did!

One more thing about that... My step son does indeed go to Forest Hills Eastern on Pettis. :sick:

Now, I had nothing to do with that as he has been in that district ever since his parents divorced when he was 6. He just happened to get stuck there. Now, his dad and I live in the city and his mom in Belding. Too much of a hassle to transfer him with only two years left...but... Let me just say that I'm happy he's getting a good education. I am one grateful stepparent to have a kid who (thank God) has not been taken in by all the hoopla and has self esteem and independence and doesn't follow the other little lemmings. He just wants to finish school and move on. I'm glad I'm not a part of the bandbooster,soccer mom, pta, fund rally, hummer drivin, rivertown shoppin, prada wearin crowd. :wacko:

Rant over.

Archived